Primitive cider (again)

What are the recommendations for clearing the haze from a hard cider?
I know I could start with clear apple juice, but like in @Sunfire96 case, I started with cloudy apple cider. Will racking to secondary help? Filtration? Gelatin? Cold crashing?

Buy clear cider to ferment :)

Edited to be more helpful: that Milk cider was completely opaque from day one. If it were yeasts and/or proteins/starches causing the haze, then time/gravity/cold crash/finings would've been helpful I imagine. But this apple juice was hazy, so there was nothing for gravity to push down in the fermenter.

Primitive cider (again)

Something something Milkshake Cider?

What are the recommendations for clearing the haze from a hard cider?
I know I could start with clear apple juice, but like in @Sunfire96 case, I started with cloudy apple cider. Will racking to secondary help? Filtration? Gelatin? Cold crashing?
I'd try Geletin

Bottled the 2nd batch today. Much clearer than my first cider. SG today was 1.007 and I used PET bottles in case it's not done yet. Once they are firm, I'll put all the bottles in the fridge to condition/stop fermentation. That's the hope at least :) fingers crossed

I kegged the second T-58 batch on Friday night. This time I put 2 8 oz cans of frozen apple concentrate in the keg and racked the cider on top of that. Tasted it yesterday and it it is more apple tasting than the first. Still has the T-58 aroma that will dissipate in a couple of days. If I do another batch, I will keep this process but use EC-1118 for my yeast. I'll keep you folks posted on this batch.

My last batch did not turn out well.
This was with the apple juice that had potassium sorbate as preservative (instead of vitamin C)
Didn't carb nicely and tastes a little like turpetine.:eek::oops:

The tamarind cider is fine (and almost finished)....
I don't think it tastes better than the plain one, so it's back to the simple cider.
Just got to reconsider the yeast. Temperature have dropped. We are now sitting at about 32 daytime and 20 daytime. Centigrade!!!!
No snow here

Apple/pear raspberry cider small batch.
20210320_180755.jpg

Chose to use Calcium Chloride this time round to see how the mouthfeel goes. Used a smidge of this and nutrient no measurements taken.
Also two flakes of dried/frozen Framgarden Yeast used just dropped as is into the juice.
It sank straight to the bottom and after shaking the juice pretty well it was still flakes at the bottom.
Cross your fingers all I don't have any faith in this yeast atm:rolleyes:

So you don’t use an airlock, just the regular bottle cap?
That's how @Trialben taught me ;) I think it puts the primitive in Primitive Cider

The cap is loose enough to allow gas to flow, but firm enough to keep out bugs and crawlies. And it fits in the pots & pans cupboard which is convenient

That's how @Trialben taught me ;) I think it puts the primitive in Primitive Cider

The cap is loose enough to allow gas to flow, but firm enough to keep out bugs and crawlies. And it fits in the pots & pans cupboard which is convenient
OK, I guess that would help when cold crashing too, assuming you do that with your cider.

OK, I guess that would help when cold crashing too, assuming you do that with your cider.
It's certainly an option. I was hesitant about skipping the airlock, but it works just as well, with good sanitation practices

Back