Primitive cider (again)

Right so had a swig of that batch of cider I did this evening. An early sample it's 9 days since brew day day 2 in keg.
20210303_165408.jpg

The Wife Test.
Smells like Aldi Apple juice.

Tastes like the two havnt combined like I'm drinking two drink apple juice and cider at the same time.
Tastes a bit lite/watered down.
I couldn't drink this all night.

Well gee wizz she's a bloody great critic I wish she could evaluate my beers like this too bring me right Into line eh:rolleyes::D.

My thoughts
It's only early days a bit of carbonation and time in the keg for the juice and fermented cider to mix will bring this cider to life a bit more.
It's only got a low carb level at this point so bringing this up will help with the "watered down" body
I'm happy with it it's clean it's dry but it's not crisp hmmm
It needs more time in the keg I think;).
Cheers

UPDATE: I pulled a sample this morning from the keg (not to drink, that's later) and it has an odor that is somewhat offensive. Didn't taste it yet but if this odor doesn't dissipate I may have to dump it. Unfortunately, I have a second batch going with the same yeast (Fermentis T-58). This may not be a good yeast for cider. Oh well........

Our cider, pitched with EC-1118 sparkling wine yeast, is still bubbling away. The aroma coming out of the bubbler smells just like fresh apple. From what I have read, this process is just like making beer, so I am starting to feel a little more confident in how things are proceeding on this first batch.

I tried my first bottle of the cider and it was interesting lol. Very wine like, super dry, but strong apple taste. Oh also zero transparency, it looks like fresh pressed non alcoholic cider :D

So I'm making a new batch while I let that age until it's drinkable/I rediscover it in 6 months in the "beer cellar." Found clearer juice (clear wort = clear beer, right?) and I'm going to intentionally use some yeast slurry that floccuated too quickly when I used it in a beer. Maybe it will settle out at a higher FG. I also like @Zambezi Special's strategy of using PET bottles to avoid bottle bombs, and I might bottle intentionally early to keep some sweetness.

I don't quite know what my final plan is, but it's fun to experiment with it! :)
20210304_131616.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I pulled a sample this morning from the keg (not to drink, that's later) and it has an odor that is somewhat offensive. Didn't taste it yet but if this odor doesn't dissipate I may have to dump it. Unfortunately, I have a second batch going with the same yeast (Fermentis T-58). This may not be a good yeast for cider. Oh well........
That wouldn't be a Farty odour :rolleyes: 34/70 threw that in my split batch experiment.

I've just moved a bottle of tamarind cider to the fridge.
Tasting is tomorrow or the day after.

My final batch with this kveik has cleared.
This was the apple juice with potassium benzoate. So luckily it looks like it fermented. It's smelling much more fruity than the previous batches.
This could be because the yeast is a bit stressed or maybe temperature (its been a bit cooler).
Or maybe a different brand apple juice ;)

Well, my cider experiment is not what I expected. The T-58 has left an unpleasant aroma but I still drank about 20oz of it last night. I have it in a 2.5gal keg with 20PSI. The smell, I think is going down so maybe I need to let it sit for a few more days. ADVICE: Do not use T-58 for your cider.

Bottled last batch of cider.
Just 2.5 ltr
And tonite I get to drink the first if my Tamarind cider :p:p:p
I was so tempted to try that bottle yesterday, but managed to drink a lager instead:cool:

Well after a few days in the keg, I have to say my cider has turned the corner. I have been drinking it all weekend and sharing some and all give a thumbs-up, including me

Great to hear.
So T-58 ain't too bad for cider fermentation after all?

Giving my 1st batch of primitive cider another go. 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in the bottle, a couple days in the fridge, and this is surprisingly pleasant. The carbonation helps a lot. Whoda thunk it lol I wish it didn't look like pink milk though
20210309_165238.jpg

Last edited:
Giving my 1st batch of primitive cider another go. 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in the bottle, a couple days in the fridge, and this is surprisingly pleasant. The carbonation helps a lot. Whoda thunk it lol I wish it didn't look like pink milk though
View attachment 14612
Now that is cloudy apple cider:).
Wow that sure kept it's haze
Hey as long as it tastes good who cares what it looks like :rolleyes:.

Back