Other hobbies

I remember you showing us a colony of little bees you have in your backyard on one of the first zoom calls. I do hope these little guys survive relocation.
Will keep you in the loop Don.
I did see one or two flying in and out the entrance yesterday.
But I did see a few predators hanging around the entrance too

Yeah, here's hoping they make it. I've been working on forge welding old farriers rasps into hatchets, it's a work in progress and I burned a hole in the forge floor so had to take a couple days to repair that. With any luck these will turn out nicely.
upload_2022-4-26_15-15-39.png

Yeah them Native Stingless Bees didn't make it Dam it!
Bloody brown Ants the little buggers hooked into them!
I saw a couple walking in through the entrance the other day so I opened the lid only to find they were attacking on mass the hive and had killed and dismembered most the workers.

It's a learning moment for me and is my Fault I should of given them more time to patch up all the creases in the wood work.
It's been raining alot too which don't help.
I should of put them on a patio up clear of the ground for a week or two to get settled in them move them around the back.
I've got a big Coastal Brown Ant population around home
Being a pestie well I'm gunna give the Ants a bit of a touch up for their trouble once this weather fines up.

It just shows how quick nature works two days and them Ants had overcome that little hive.

I took up welding last summer but by no means call myself a welder - just a guy who welds things. Like a lot of DIY stuff I do, I gain an appreciation for those that do it for a living. I’ve done mostly abstract garden art. These two are my favorites. I get a lot of comments that the offset column could be turned into a planter or water fountain with some additional work.

Attachments

• 218B22E8-378C-497D-B3C2-143882B8BC59.jpeg
    218B22E8-378C-497D-B3C2-143882B8BC59.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 55
  • CF98E738-7362-47D4-B783-5B48BF453616.jpeg
    CF98E738-7362-47D4-B783-5B48BF453616.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 52
Yeah them Native Stingless Bees didn't make it Dam it!
Bloody brown Ants the little buggers hooked into them!
I saw a couple walking in through the entrance the other day so I opened the lid only to find they were attacking on mass the hive and had killed and dismembered most the workers.

It's a learning moment for me and is my Fault I should of given them more time to patch up all the creases in the wood work.
It's been raining alot too which don't help.
I should of put them on a patio up clear of the ground for a week or two to get settled in them move them around the back.
I've got a big Coastal Brown Ant population around home
Being a pestie well I'm gunna give the Ants a bit of a touch up for their trouble once this weather fines up.

It just shows how quick nature works two days and them Ants had overcome that little hive.

Awe damn, that's to bad. Wish they had made it.

Yeah, but still sad. Bees are having a rough go of it. Today is the first time in 6 weeks I've felt like brewing so I'm going to do up an IPA. My evening last night was spent on hatchet heads and coffee scoops. Need to buy some handle material, I'm thinking 25mm doweling should work for handles.
upload_2022-4-28_10-40-24.png

The build quality on taht is fantastic Ben.

Picked up a set of used golf clubs and went to the range to try them out. It was a pretty good deal for the whole set and bag. I'm hoping to get out and play some 9 hole rounds before the weather becomes unbearable lol

Picked up a set of used golf clubs and went to the range to try them out. It was a pretty good deal for the whole set and bag. I'm hoping to get out and play some 9 hole rounds before the weather becomes unbearable lol
Sadly, I may never be able to golf agan, but I am happy to hear that your back will allow you to try a new hobby!

Never say never, Craig. That's what I thought too. Physical therapy and acupuncture have worked wonders for me. I also just took lessons to make sure my swing was as back-friendly as possible
Good onya Sunfire96!

Look for par 3 golf courses their pretty forgiving for newbies and less walking distance to the green;).

Added a new segment to the old Boys hive the other day
20230410_130622.jpg

I once broke 100... on 9 holes. Finesse is not my strong suit.

I once broke 100... on 9 holes. Finesse is not my strong suit.
It's entirely a mental game, which I rather enjoy. If you're out there trying to hit the ball as far as possible then you're doing it wrong. My rule is that I refuse to be the most miserable person on the range/course. You wouldn't believe how many people spend money to just have a terrible time

It's entirely a mental game, which I rather enjoy. If you're out there trying to hit the ball as far as possible then you're doing it wrong. My rule is that I refuse to be the most miserable person on the range/course. You wouldn't believe how many people spend money to just have a terrible time
Naah, just poor mechanics. I might 2 or 3 shot a par 3 to the green, then 5-putt. I do enjoy the walking though.

Back