Other hobbies

Thanks Bob! I love a good pastrami and that looks tasty. Will put that on my to do list!

I am ham radio operator going on 4 yrs now, have my grand dad's original call sign from 1973. He wanted me to get my license back then when I was 10 yrs old. As a kid back then I thought there were funner things to do like fishing, bikes and baseball, but I never lost the desire to get my license. Fast forward 40 yrs later and I finally got that license, and as a tribute to the guy who thought it was important to try and learn something new everyday, I took his original call sign WN8QGV.

I also have been a beekeeper for 40+ years, and thankfully with retirement I can enjoy citizen science type things like weather reporting thru my personal weather station, CocoRahs involvement, Project Feederwatch (birds), Monarch watch ( butterflies) FlightAware ( I have an antenna that picks up and reports live aircraft positioning within a 300 mile range of my home), gardening, hunting, fishing, and train travel.

At one time when I lived in a more populous area, I raised and raced homing pigeons against other pigeon racers. ( Had a hell of a time finding running shoes in those tiny sizes :) )

Should have added to that Pastrami recipe: For a great hot sandwitch, steam the sliced meat for a couple of minutes and top it with some American cheese before putting it on the toasted rye. Be sure to slather with plain yellow mustard and a few dill slices. I usually just eat it cold out of laziness, but the hot version is a treat.

Thanks Bob! I love a good pastrami and that looks tasty. Will put that on my to do list!

Really doesn't take much time at all. A few minutes to make up the dry marinade and bag the meat, a few more to rinse and apply the final rub and a few more to cook it. I use a Traeger, so just stick a remotethermometer in the meat, set it and forget it.

Instead of just using ground coriander and black pepper just before smoking this time I added granulated garlic to the mix, Now equal parts of all 3 is going to be used from now on . Really improved the flavor.

Nah, give me a bratwurst with that! Brat, sauerkraut, good mustard on a hard roll, man, makes me homesick for Germany.

Man, that hurt! Doctor has me on a diet and I'm not supposed to eat potatoes, rice, pasta or bread. I do cheat about once a week, but when I hear any of them mentioned I salivate. High point about the diet is all the steaks and ribs I want.

I hope to get my motorbike out in the next couple weeks, the snow is melting at a good clip now. I had ridden it by this point last year though so that's annoying.

Man, that hurt! Doctor has me on a diet and I'm not supposed to eat potatoes, rice, pasta or bread. I do cheat about once a week, but when I hear any of them mentioned I salivate. High point about the diet is all the steaks and ribs I want.
My diet is self-imposed and I'm not completely cutting out the carbs but man, if I could jump a flight to Deutschland, one of the first things would be that bratwurst. Followed shortly by a Donner Kebap, both with fries and yes, pure European-style, with mayonnaise.

My diet is self-imposed and I'm not completely cutting out the carbs but man, if I could jump a flight to Deutschland, one of the first things would be that bratwurst. Followed shortly by a Donner Kebap, both with fries and yes, pure European-style, with mayonnaise.

Speaking of brats, we've been getting Sheboygan brand beer brats and love them. As for the diet. my best friend for almost 60 years and his wife are coming for a few days starting Thursday. My big cheat comes on St. Paddy's day. My wife was born & raised in Blackrock, Co Dublin and makes a traditional dish called colcannon. Mashed potatoes done with fried bacon, cabbage and a little onion, It's to die for. Although corned beef & cabbage is far from a traditional Irish dish, my home cured corned beef is on the menu as well.

Reminds me of warm German potato salad, not the US mustardy-mayonnaisy stuff but the real warm potato/bacon/oniony variety.... I almost need a cigarette after that, particularly paired with the bratwurst mentioned above.

Man, you guys are making me hungry!
...and I am even sitting in Germany and just had supper, but this talk of brats and mashed potatoes and cabbage is just making me hungry all over again. :rolleyes:
Sausages aside..have any of you tried (re)creating "Eisbein" or "Schweinehaxe"? IMO, with the proper sides (mashed potatoes, saurkraut, etc), those are meals to die for!

...and I am even sitting in Germany and just had supper, but this talk of brats and mashed potatoes and cabbage is just making me hungry all over again. :rolleyes:
Sausages aside..have any of you tried (re)creating "Eisbein" or "Schweinehaxe"? IMO, with the proper sides (mashed potatoes, saurkraut, etc), those are meals to die for!

Never heard of either one. What are they?

Having a German mother I know them well, it's also common in Sweden where I live, but under the name fläsklägg;)

...all that, too....

Sounds about right... We didn't do Eisbein on the Mosel but Schweinehaxe, mmmmm.... Of course, we did to herring in cream sauce.

Of course, we did to herring in cream sauce.
Oooooo, love that too! And really good Sülze mit Remolade und Bratkartoffeln... :)
(unfortunately, "good" Sülze is hard to find in Saxony :( )

Oooooo, love that too! And really good Sülze mit Remolade und Bratkartoffeln... :)
(unfortunately, "good" Sülze is hard to find in Saxony :( )

While we are the topic, something I do really miss from American cuisine are hot-/buffalo-wings and blue cheese dressing. Just can't get those anywhere else! Even used to make my own here in Germany, back when I didn't have to count calories. :rolleyes:
Another thing I used to make every once in a while and and thinking of doing again are pasties. Discovered them while my wife was studying on the UP, and thoroughly enjoy making my own. It is kind of like brewing...the recipe is more of a suggestion and you can put just about anything in them that you like.

I hear you! I miss German food a lot more from the United States than I did when I lived there. I do sourdough breads because American bread, while improving, is still far from European. Pasties, not familiar, want to go to England, specifically Cornwall, to get the real thing some day.

Back