If You Opened A craft Brewery.

Great question,
When I had my re-grand opening about 1.5 years ago, I actually had to think about that quite a bit.
It was the end of summer and beer can be seasonal especially when you get all 4!
I chose an 8% IPA, a Pale Ale and a Hefeweizen.
It worked for the opening, but that's not a long term answer.
If you could only choose 3?? Hmmm.
I think I'd go with a Cream Ale. This is an easy drinker with plenty of flavor and would appeal to the masses.
Next up would be a late hopped IPA. Not too bitter or too big, but with a load of hop flavor and aroma.
And last up would be a bigger Oatmeal Stout. About 7%. This would satisfy those looking for some roast and creaminess.
All that being said, I don't think you can get away with only 3.
Cheers,
Brian

Im not suggesting they be bjcp or cicerone trained but at least have a basic grasp of what difference there is between an ESB and Czech pils and if a customer mentions a opposition beer then suggest a similar beer .
I’m sure bar owners everywhere would love to have that kind of employee.

Would go with
Pacific Northwest PA
Pacific Northwest IPA
Barrel Aged rotator and
Seasonal rotator
I like grapefruity orangy lemony tangerine Piney citrusy hops.
Good food would be served with grilled food featured and barrel aging goes with that.
But the seasonal would be a huge variety brewed in small batches to learn what the people want.
Would expand within a year for more variety. Sorry Ben can't stick with 3:D:p
sounds very inviting whens this bar opening nothing like good grilled meat to go with beer. i loke Noseybears Idea as well on the popcorn should get your customers more thirsty eh?
Great question,
When I had my re-grand opening about 1.5 years ago, I actually had to think about that quite a bit.
It was the end of summer and beer can be seasonal especially when you get all 4!
I chose an 8% IPA, a Pale Ale and a Hefeweizen.
It worked for the opening, but that's not a long term answer.
If you could only choose 3?? Hmmm.
I think I'd go with a Cream Ale. This is an easy drinker with plenty of flavor and would appeal to the masses.
Next up would be a late hopped IPA. Not too bitter or too big, but with a load of hop flavor and aroma.
And last up would be a bigger Oatmeal Stout. About 7%. This would satisfy those looking for some roast and creaminess.
All that being said, I don't think you can get away with only 3.
Cheers,
Brian
well lets just say your 3 main beers on permanent rotation those beers that your customers will eventually call their own. they know they can count on having a pint of one of them when they rock up for a quiet one... then as has been stated above have a few rotation beers or even a suggestion box where customers could leave their improvements or requests?

I’m sure bar owners everywhere would love to have that kind of employee.
Your second post in this thread, and you still haven't answered the OP's question. In fact, you've been slightly negative about other people's posts.
Isn't this the same behavior you've posted about not liking on other threads?

This is a hypothetical thread. Bartender knowledge wasn’t a part of the original question. I was addressing a point made by another member.

1) Glacial Lager - made with Glacier hops
2) Kölsch
3) Whatever my wife wants - it’s part of my deal to be allowed to have a keezer. I’m sure she’d do the same thing if I had a bar.

Last edited:
I think this is the kind of chatty thread that should drift. The gist of the OP's question comes down to a discussion over what makes a brewpub successful, the brewer making what he or she likes or the brewer making what sells. It's kind of fun to go in the direction of "what would I do if...." And some of the answers are quite interesting. So a bit of thread drift around this kind of question is okay to me, it's not advice as to what to brew or how to do so. So peace, gentlemen, and let's have fun with this!

I love a good cream ale but always find people passing them up because of the name. They are expecting to have some type of cream flavoring.

I love a good cream ale but always find people passing them up because of the name. They are expecting to have some type of cream flavoring.
Agreed...it's the worst name ever for a beer style...I call mine a "Premium American Ale" :)
If I offer my wife the Cream Ale, she always declines. If I pour her a glass without asking, she says "that's good...what is it?" :D

I agree, however knowing how it is suppose to taste it is a good beer to try to see if they know what they are brewing.

Agreed...it's the worst name ever for a beer style...I call mine a "Premium American Ale" :)
If I offer my wife the Cream Ale, she always declines. If I pour her a glass without asking, she says "that's good...what is it?" :D
Draught Works in Missoula MT has a very good cream ale called "That's What She Said". Sounds fitting in that respect. Gave me a chuckle anyway.

Reactions: J A
well As per beer names some of those beers Noseybear rattled off that hes thinking of brewing at tongue twisters lol to me anyhow. imagine asking the bar man lady 4 pints in "oh can i have another punt of that dampbier please:p"! im sure theyd cut me off and show me the door.

im sure thats why the most common Aussie beers labels are differnt colours so when inebriated you can still order another beer Ill have another green can pleaseo_O!
green =VB gold = XXXX marone = Melbourne bitter or heck Carlton Draught.

I agree, however knowing how it is suppose to taste it is a good beer to try to see if they know what they are brewing.

Totally agree. A cream ale will appeal to the masses but usually the masses aren't educated on craft beer and have no idea that it will taste like a flavorful BMC.

Reactions: J A

Draught Works in Missoula MT has a very good cream ale called "That's What She Said". Sounds fitting in that respect. Gave me a chuckle anyway.
Good one...I call mine Corn Star Premium American Ale. Makes it sound legit and sleazy at the same time. :D

well As per beer names some of those beers Noseybear rattled off that hes thinking of brewing at tongue twisters lol to me anyhow. imagine asking the bar man lady 4 pints in "oh can i have another punt of that dampbier please:p"! im sure theyd cut me off and show me the door.

im sure thats why the most common Aussie beers labels are differnt colours so when inebriated you can still order another beer Ill have another green can pleaseo_O!
green =VB gold = XXXX marone = Melbourne bitter or heck Carlton Draught.
I have to admit, it's a practical way to label...

Back