If You Opened A craft Brewery.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
what would be your first 3 beers? whats your tap line up? what is your stong points as a brewer? what have your lernt in your HB career that if you had a stab at the big time comercial stage paid brewer scean you'd put on your menu...?

so we all know what we,re good at brewing ..'our taste buds dont lie to us anyways so... let's say by some miracle you found yourself obtaining that local craft beer joint or started your brewery what (3) beers would you serve on tap?

we all know that if it did happen to us perchance that we'd need more than one nailed down beverage to offer clients tell me in your experience as a brewer what your 3 comercial craft beer would be?

ok ok mine:)...

id probably emulate myself as a german craft beer house. ok ok ok i. aussie abd that would lend me well with my locals but my loval drinkers wouldnt ever know what a lovely malty sazzy pilsner would taste like and once they got that thirst im sure they would be lining up for my house lager. next id serve them a more malt dominate lager like my recent czech lager bit with more hop flavour
my last beer would be a fairly hoppy ale liw IBU but late hopped emulating that NEIPA American style.

so let.me have it big thumbs and all i dont care if to spell wrong :p!
whats your line up..what would.yoy serve me if I Was At Your BAR?

Some water, pretzels, and a cab ride home? :D

If I'm looking to attract a wide range of people, I'd go with a blonde or kolsch, a stout, and probably a NEIPA (because you have to have an IPA, unwritten rule of taprooms)

Love s thought experiment me and I was thinking seriously about this once upon a time.
My line up where I am now would have to play to my heritage as a Brit, but would have to appeal to the locals too. Craft beers are basically extortionate here, so my line-up:
A reasonably priced PA. My mosaic and maris otter summer ale, tweaked with a bitteting hop and oats, would do (thankfully no cat pee, but a shed load of grapegruit). Light and tasty.
A kolsch, as that is nearer to what the locals like.
A British dark ale, probably a malty ESB.

My locals would want variety, so I would probably add a seasonal ale slot too. Sorry thats four...

Nice thread.

All I brew are German Lagers and id like to see more of them in the craft scene so if i was to open my own Brew Pub my two permanent taps would be a Helles and probably my favorite brew a Red X Lager. 3rd tap would be a season specialty like Bock, Fest or something dark.

I'd do something fizzy and yellow, probably a Kolsch or an American Blonde, for the masses, an IPA like the one I drank last night (Melvin's, a mall Wyoming brewery that delivers 85% of its product to the restaurant we ate at) and something in the ESB range. I happen to like them all but the thing to remember is that you're brewing for them, not for you, and those three cover probably 99% of the drinking public.

And popcorn. JC and the Brew Mentor know why.

If I were going all German, I'd have a Pils, a Hefeweizen and an Altbier. That covers most of the bases. If you'd allow me a "rotator", I'd go with Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Berliner Weisse, maybe a Graetzer, a Kottbusser, a Gose. No need for Koelsch and Helles, covered in the Pils. Vienna Lager is pretty much covered by the Altbier. Might look for some others like Dampfbier, Kellerbier, a classic "Mittleres".... There's the possibility of a lot of different styles if you go with the Germans....

What I can tell of a "typical" German "Hausbrauerei", you get a Helles, a Mittleres, a Dunkles and maybe a Hefeweizen. Typical German, do a few things very, very well....

Would go with
Pacific Northwest PA
Pacific Northwest IPA
Barrel Aged rotator and
Seasonal rotator
I like grapefruity orangy lemony tangerine Piney citrusy hops.
Good food would be served with grilled food featured and barrel aging goes with that.
But the seasonal would be a huge variety brewed in small batches to learn what the people want.
Would expand within a year for more variety. Sorry Ben can't stick with 3:D:p

people like to try new things visiting something for the first time, but after that they want the norm so the first beers I would go for is the norm a good pale ale, a rich malty red ale and an amber bock

then the ipa's and sours but always keep a blond on tap just for the easy drinkers

people like to try new things visiting something for the first time, but after that they want the norm so the first beers I would go for is the norm a good pale ale, a rich malty red ale and an amber bock

then the ipa's and sours but always keep a blond on tap just for the easy drinkers
Not a bad plan. I've been to too many breweries where they have a YUGE tap list and no outstanding beers. Constraints can be good.

If I'm interested in making money then i have to do something pretty different to the other local taphouses .
Volume sellers would be a classic pils
My rye golden ale
Rotational Neipa / ESB / IPA depending on season and can always have bottled / canned stock as well .
I have the contacts to get the small batch / low volume selling beers in bottles for niche styles like sours and every brewery seems to have jumped on the barrel aged band wagon so I can keep my brewery" bug free " and still meet demand .
I would also insist on knowledgeable servers , I watched a young server waste litres of strawberry milkshake IPA because she didn't know how to serve a beer on nitro

I would also insist on knowledgeable servers , I watched a young server waste litres of strawberry milkshake IPA because she didn't know how to serve a beer on nitro
Knowledgeable servers are like knowledgeable landscaping helpers. They would just go into business for themselves. Not a perfect analogy, but hopefully you get my point. There are a lot of kids who work at the hardware store, too. The men who know about tools have better things to do than to work retail. But, this is a fantasy thread. Maybe we should also dream that people stop buying Budweiser. They need to learn to appreciate craft beers.

Love s thought experiment me and I was thinking seriously about this once upon a time.
My line up where I am now would have to play to my heritage as a Brit, but would have to appeal to the locals too. Craft beers are basically extortionate here, so my line-up:
A reasonably priced PA. My mosaic and maris otter summer ale, tweaked with a bitteting hop and oats, would do (thankfully no cat pee, but a shed load of grapegruit). Light and tasty.
A kolsch, as that is nearer to what the locals like.
A British dark ale, probably a malty ESB.

My locals would want variety, so I would probably add a seasonal ale slot too. Sorry thats four...

Nice thread.
and youd need sone sort of Saki or Ashai type rice beers to win over the rice loving locals?

Would go with
Pacific Northwest PA
Pacific Northwest IPA
Barrel Aged rotator and
Seasonal rotator
I like grapefruity orangy lemony tangerine Piney citrusy hops.
Good food would be served with grilled food featured and barrel aging goes with that.
But the seasonal would be a huge variety brewed in small batches to learn what the people want.
Would expand within a year for more variety. Sorry Ben can't stick with 3:D:p
sounds very inviting whens this bar opening nothing like good grilled meat to go with beer. i loke Noseybears Idea as well on the popcorn should get your customers more thirsty eh?

i see some have given it a lot more indepth thought. yes its all about pleasing the crowd serving beers they want to drink and probably not going to out there or they wont even try it.

id recon in coastal queensland up here in the hinterland like up at montville where tourists flock on the weekend on their bike and car rides and Authentic German or English pub with a big woodfired Pizza / beergarden with live bands and games for the kids would be a goer. but nailing down them recipies so theirs no bugs is the GO. there is already a craft beer joint up there but hes got some sanitation probs on his pils was a little vinagary.

thanks for the responses all keep em comming lets brainstrom that next great pub/tap room!

Last edited:
I would first place my brewery off the beaten path, down a gravel road, on some acreage,5-10. have a small hop farm surrounding the entire place, a few other gardens and of course a babbling brook running through. golf course like grassy patches with nice outdoor seating overlooking the coastal mountains.
A old English Brown Ale casked and on a hand pump
A Cirta/Mosaic NEIPA
and a Czech Pil with late hops

I would first place my brewery off the beaten path, down a gravel road, on some acreage,5-10. have a small hop farm surrounding the entire place, a few other gardens and of course a babbling brook running through. golf course like grassy patches with nice outdoor seating overlooking the coastal mountains.
A old English Brown Ale casked and on a hand pump
A Cirta/Mosaic NEIPA
and a Czech Pil with late hops
Maybe some horse shoe pits or shuffle board? A couple of pools in the brook for the kids to splash in...
And a big smoker in the background cooking the special for the evening.

Knowledgeable servers are like knowledgeable landscaping helpers. They would just go into business for themselves. Not a perfect analogy, but hopefully you get my point. There are a lot of kids who work at the hardware store, too. The men who know about tools have better things to do than to work retail. But, this is a fantasy thread. Maybe we should also dream that people stop buying Budweiser. They need to learn to appreciate craft beers.
Im not suggesting they be bjcp or cicerone trained but at least have a basic grasp of what difference there is between an ESB and Czech pils and if a customer mentions a opposition beer then suggest a similar beer .
My favourite venue asks mine and others opinions on what to stock .
Upside for me is getting sneaky tasters of unreleased beers

I'd do something fizzy and yellow, probably a Kolsch or an American Blonde, for the masses, an IPA like the one I drank last night (Melvin's, a mall Wyoming brewery that delivers 85% of its product to the restaurant we ate at) and something in the ESB range. I happen to like them all but the thing to remember is that you're brewing for them, not for you, and those three cover probably 99% of the drinking public.

And popcorn. JC and the Brew Mentor know why.
I think a Kentucky Common should be added to the list!
Cheers

Back