I visited a brewery today!

image.jpg
After a long walk along the Deschutes River under mostly clear, breezy skies, we landed at Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. We are both enjoying Obsidian Stout on nitro.
More to follow.

Love Deschutes brewing, they were born the same year I was :) Black Butte Porter and Red Chair NWPA are my go-to favorites
Black Butte Porter was on the taplist, but Red Chair was not. Beer, food and service were all great. Same as our previous visits.

View attachment 17089 After a long walk along the Deschutes River under mostly clear, breezy skies, we landed at Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. We are both enjoying Obsidian Stout on nitro.
More to follow.
Just Beautiful.
Super jealous from the other side of the country. :(

Their porter and stout are out standing....I've found the Black Butte in bottle shops but only had the stout at a festival.

Just Beautiful.
Super jealous from the other side of the country. :(
It is a joy to visit this town, with the myriad craft beers on offer. The aroma of fresh brewing beer is everywhere, just wafting on the breeze. While walking about today, we sampled many hops plants, whose cones were there for the picking right along the public sidewalks - smash a cone in your hand, then smell the intoxicating aroma from the sticky resin left in your palm. Besides beer and food, there is plenty to keep you busy around here. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we’re off to Eugene, another great place for craft beer.

Their porter and stout are out standing....I've found the Black Butte in bottle shops but only had the stout at a festival.
Those are not my typical styles of beer, but I certainly enjoyed that Stout today. Deschutes is a great brewery, I would recommend anything you can find, wherever you are, as long as the beer is relatively fresh.

Ok, well not actually a brewery, indeed not at all like a brewery, but a hops farm. Apparently, the largest in New England at 27 acres planted.

I was alone, and watched them pick the hops and de-bone them (cones one way, everything else another). Later processing (after drying) was for another day.

Very cool, Champlain Valley Hops in Starksboro, VT. They have an online store.

Feeding a pile of hops into one of their machines. It basically strips the bine, and uses fans to separate leaves and twigs from cones. These are Centennial, which ripens first.

View attachment 17002

It is impossible to get the scale of the place from photos. Note the "Ma" on the pole - this row is Magnum. They grow 8 different varieties for sale, plus a half dozen experimental types.

View attachment 17003

HopsView attachment 17004
Been interested in visiting that hop farm. Vermont is a great beer state.

image.jpg
And now just a few blocks away at Oakshire Brewing. She has a Portland Pineapple Rose cider (tulip glass), while I have Citrafonix IPA. Too bad I can’t show video of the awesome bubble stream coming from the base of my glass - quite entertaining. It is so fun to be able to walk to these places, though I would not have us walking these neighborhoods after dark.

28F4E6CC-43B4-469D-AF2E-45DB0663E6A3.jpeg
22D6FC36-D19B-46FE-A30C-A435ECE04565.jpeg
Yesterday we visited a pair of breweries on our last full day in Eugene. Our first stop was Ninkasi, because I wanted their oysters - best lunch ever! After a long walk that included my wife getting stung on the foot by a bee, we landed at Falling Sky Brewing. Good times!

View attachment 17154 View attachment 17155 Yesterday we visited a pair of breweries on our last full day in Eugene. Our first stop was Ninkasi, because I wanted their oysters - best lunch ever! After a long walk that included my wife getting stung on the foot by a bee, we landed at Falling Sky Brewing. Good times!
Oof that's rough, hope she's alright. Sounds like a fun trip! Did y'all stop in Newport at all or just drive through?

Oof that's rough, hope she's alright. Sounds like a fun trip! Did y'all stop in Newport at all or just drive through?
My wife is fine, the sting didn’t faze her. It was funny because just as we started to walk across the clovery grass, I said to her “watch out for bees” and zing, she was stung. I played medic as soon as we safely navigated the grass, using a credit card to brush out the stinger, then applying a medicated wipe and some hydrocortizone.
On our coast drive, we stopped at South Beach, walked over the dunes down to the water. I took off my shoes (Birkenstock sandals) and waded in. We also stopped at Yachats for lunch and a brew and a short walk on the point, then stopped again at Bob Creek. Our last stop was an overlook just south of Heceta Head to see the lighthouse, and a Peregrine Falcon flew by. Absolutely stunning scenery, and a great drive.
I look forward to returning for more adventures in the future.

Back