I visited a brewery today!

Slow day at the office, so popped in to see my buddies Keith and Wayne at Jackass Brewing. The brothers grew up constantly calling each other Jackass, hence the name of the brewery! Keith is canning beer, two at a time by hand this afternoon. Further reasoning for me having no interest in going pro... They usually only have one or two that I like on tap, one today actually. Sunkist NEIPA, quite good, but not great. Great guys though
View attachment 16757
You could try to look happy about it Craig /s

BEE393D8-4EA9-4A8E-AD14-E8D0AD8D64D7.jpeg
582514F8-2FDC-4F6D-AE2F-480BA16A7A17.jpeg
Been a while since I’ve been to Southern Swells. (Jax Beach) Always seem to stop at Engine 15. I LOVE Karate in The Garage. Delicious ipa and brings back memories of my childhood

Wagner Valley Brewing on Seneca lake about 30 minutes from Watkins Glen NY. Been coming here for over 10 years since they first added a brewery to their winery here
IMG_20210731_134426.jpg

Choose your own flight from L to R: Pilsner, Hefeweizen, Schwarzbar and my personal favorite their trippelbock. Pilsner is a bit hoppy for the style but still very good

At Trestle Brewing in Parry Sound Ontario with my buddy Steve. Named after the massive trestle train Bridge. Food was great, and the beer was mostly really good. Single IPA, double IPA, Hazy IPA, and a Kentucky Common. Single and Double were really good, the Kentuck Common was super good. The Hazy... no comment:rolleyes:.
20210803_140045.jpg
20210803_145024.jpg
20210803_145032.jpg

IMG_20210808_131543.jpg
I've really neglected posting the breweries I've been to this weekend...

10th anniversary so we spent a weekend at an Airbnb in Ithaca NY, home to Cornell University, some breathtaking gorges (I'll find an appropriate thread to post those pictures later) and some awesome breweries.
Didn't actually go to Ithaca Brewing Co. (Might have heard of their Flower Power IPA or Apricot Wheat) but went to Liquid state brewing (sorry no pics) and had the lederhosen flight which was a hefe, Kolsch, maibock, and dark lager. Kolsch was a bit hoppy (or snappy as the menu said) for my taste but the rest was good. Yesterday had lunch at Ithaca Alehouse and had a Lemons gave us life sour from Hamburg Brewing (outside of Buffalo and a local favorite brewery of mine). The little guy has been camping with the in laws this weekend so we stopped at Scale House brewery in Hector NY up the street from the campground for lunch. Didn't think to take a picture till I was at the end of the flight:D:D
IMG_20210808_131543.jpg

Had a cream ale, dirty blonde (which apparently means hoppy) Mama Juice which is a tangerine witbier (puree in the fermenter, no peel) and a peanut butter stout. Also had a lake monster lager before that. All good. Stout was my favorite and their best seller. The light offerings were nothing special but that's just fine. Told my wife "nothing special about the lager, It's perfect!"

It was an enjoyable weekend for our anniversary trip that also was now an inadvertent "baby moon"

Last edited:
Ok, well not actually a brewery, indeed not at all like a brewery, but a hops farm. Apparently, the largest in New England at 27 acres planted.

I was alone, and watched them pick the hops and de-bone them (cones one way, everything else another). Later processing (after drying) was for another day.

Very cool, Champlain Valley Hops in Starksboro, VT. They have an online store.

Feeding a pile of hops into one of their machines. It basically strips the bine, and uses fans to separate leaves and twigs from cones. These are Centennial, which ripens first.

00A87CFC-E455-4559-9E88-D1028BA877C7.jpeg

It is impossible to get the scale of the place from photos. Note the "Ma" on the pole - this row is Magnum. They grow 8 different varieties for sale, plus a half dozen experimental types.

9A317FEA-D8EB-4334-8240-BF1DE63FDFB5.jpeg

Hops
31B11180-1427-403F-B477-E9A9235ABBF8.jpeg

Ok, well not actually a brewery, indeed not at all like a brewery, but a hops farm. Apparently, the largest in New England at 27 acres planted.

I was alone, and watched them pick the hops and de-bone them (cones one way, everything else another). Later processing (after drying) was for another day.

Feeding a pile of hops into one of their machines. It basically strips the bine, and uses fans to separate leaves and twigs from cones. These are Centennial, which ripens first.

View attachment 17002

It is impossible to get the scale of the place from photos. Note the "Ma" on the pole - this row is Magnum. They grow 8 different varieties for sale, plus a half dozen experimental types.

View attachment 17003

HopsView attachment 17004
Wow look at that. Making me thirsty !

View attachment 17002

View attachment 17003

Can't smell the hops from the photos either! :(

Looks awesome.

View attachment 17002

View attachment 17003

Very cool Don!

@Donoroto very cool, thanks for sharing. My wife and I will be in Oregon next week, where I hope to have the possibility of visiting, or at least seeing a hops farm. I will certainly visit a brewery or two!
In my life, I have found that people are mostly proud of their work, and happy to show a visitor around. Just ask.

Ardent Brewing in RVA. I'm trying to branch out into more Saisons for a warm weather brewing alternative. Some are too spicy/peppery for me, but this one is really balanced. It smells almost like a crispy lager, but tastes tart, malty, and just a hint of "saisoniness". I'd like to ask what yeast they used, we'll see if I get brave enough lol

The VA common is a great take on a steam beer, very drinkable. And the IPA 14 is billed as a West Coast IPA but only has 32 IBUs. Very hoppy and bitter enough. So I like it :)

Edit: oops forgot the pic!
20210812_144911.jpg

Last edited:
I really should figure out how to use forums from my phone so I can post while traveling, but I spent the last 4 days touring breweries in Southern Alberta and it was a lot of fun. Fahr is a really good German style brewery in Turner Valley.
upload_2021-8-12_14-12-9.png

Ok, not exactly a brewery. Again.

A neighbor here in Lake George, NY is called Fitz, his last name is Fitzgerald (I don't know his first name...) and his family owned Fitzgerald Brewery, long since defunct. Here you can see several cans and bottles he has.

Far more fascinating is the big chunk of tree fungus above it. As folk art, someone used a porcupine quill to put tiny holes into the bottom of the fungus, the deeper you go the darker it is, making a beautiful image. I left it full-resolution so you can zoom in on it, but a photo does not even come close to showing how beautiful it is.

EB0C6765-4249-4F7F-A9CE-AE6F46F7CDBC.jpeg

Here is a close-up. Even more amazing in person.

93BF9BBF-5E94-4B90-9858-14E21527B33A.jpeg

No pictures, but my wife and I just returned from 10 Barrel Brewing, where I enjoyed an Apocalypse IPA. Unfortunately, smoke from nearby wildfires blew in on a changing wind, chasing us back to our accommodations. The early afternoon featured improving air quality, while this evening it is bleak. Hoping for better air quality tomorrow.

Back