I brewed today!

10+ gallon batch of a session NEIPA
Mash Recirculating, and a visual on the color of the first runnings
20200407_083009.jpg

20200407_095408.jpg

Well, I haven't brewed in a week or so but I pulled this beer from the chamber yesterday.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/974578/covid-cure
It was an on the fly, toss it together and wing it brew. Stove-top BIAB at the shop.
I used up some extras I had and some "free" hops I had.
2nd Gen Cali ale yeast and some unknown base grain. I'm pretty sure it was Pilsen.
It dried out more than I expected and was @1.010.
I totally missed the dry hopping so far and will do it in the keg over the next week.
I did keg, carb and bring home 2 others that I brewed about 3 weeks ago. A Black IPA and a Robust Porter.
Got to keep the pipeline flowing!
Cheers,
Brian

Nice little fermenter!

I know you are well familiar with them!
Mine is the smallest (12L/3.2gal) Speidel. I love everything about it *except* the height of the bottom outlet. It is just a bit too low for my typical fermenter sludge (about .5 gal) so I can't really use the spigot to transfer. I mean technically I could, but I think it would be more a PITA than just siphoning. I would love to gravity transfer, but I don't see a way around the trub unless I drain some off and hope it doesn't disturb what's left under the outlet. Not sure that would work.

Questions for you:
What size do you use? (30L, if I remember??)
How much trub volume fits under your bottom outlet?

I know you are well familiar with them!
Mine is the smallest (12L/3.2gal) Speidel. I love everything about it *except* the height of the bottom outlet. It is just a bit too low for my typical fermenter sludge (about .5 gal) so I can't really use the spigot to transfer. I mean technically I could, but I think it would be more a PITA than just siphoning. I would love to gravity transfer, but I don't see a way around the trub unless I drain some off and hope it doesn't disturb what's left under the outlet. Not sure that would work.

Questions for you:
What size do you use? (30L, if I remember??)
How much trub volume fits under your bottom outlet?

If you cold crash and/or allow more time for the trub to settle out and compact, the spigot level shouldn't be an issue. You will get a small amount of debris out of it initially, but only in the first ounce or 2. I draw a taster glass before transferring to eliminate this from the transfer. Another solution is to rotate the spigot 90 degrees when you install it.That will raise the inlet a bit. If that isn't enough, remove the inner part if the spigot and put it in the opposite end of the tube it fits into. This will raise the inlet even more.

If you cold crash and/or allow more time for the trub to settle out and compact, the spigot level shouldn't be an issue. You will get a small amount of debris out of it initially, but only in the first ounce or 2. I draw a taster glass before transferring to eliminate this from the transfer. Another solution is to rotate the spigot 90 degrees when you install it.That will raise the inlet a bit. If that isn't enough, remove the inner part if the spigot and put it in the opposite end of the tube it fits into. This will raise the inlet even more.
Those are some genius suggestions. Where were you when I racked my beer yesterday??!! :D

Thanks, I will definitely give these a try next time I brew. I usually pull my first 6-7oz for a hydrometer/taste sample anyway so hopefully any trub will end up there.

Even more genius, I posted this in another thread a few minutes ago.
Put some kind of wedge under the fermenter so that the trub, yeast, hops settle away from the spigot.
Keep it tipped back while draining into keg/bottling bucket.
Bring back to level, and then tip forward as you get to the end.
I did this on my last batch, worked beautifully.

Back