I brewed today!

IMG_0855.jpg
Today ( at 3 days +) I pulled the blow off tubes, replacing them with bubblers. Only about a gallon and a half, but it sure is fun to watch.

I did a split batch yesterday of my house brown so I could compare yeasts which is bubbling away quite nicely in the cellar. That's Safale 04 on the left and Lallemand Windsor on the right. Interesting the Windsor is fermenting a little hotter and has a dirty head compared to the S04.

Don't let the controller fool you...my whoops there, controller A is the carboy on the right, the Windsor batch.

15795345187002034012953.jpg

For me this thread could be called "I brewed yesterday", because I typically brew on Friday nights...
Brewed my Cragunitas last night. Looks like I hit my volume of 11 gallons, but I left 2 gallons behind in the MLT. I still don't have a handle on my system. Gravity was pretty close, only missed preboil, and post boil by 2 points.
20200125_005220.jpg

Looks amazing! Can you tell us what it tasted like?
The beer will remain in the carboys until at least Monday February 3, at which point I will bottle it. Then it will bottle condition for a couple weeks. I will taste a sample when bottling, but the real test will come around mid-February.

For me this thread could be called "I brewed yesterday", because I typically brew on Friday nights...
Brewed my Cragunitas last night. Looks like I hit my volume of 11 gallons, but I left 2 gallons behind in the MLT. I still don't have a handle on my system. Gravity was pretty close, only missed preboil, and post boil by 2 points.
View attachment 8594
You could use them two gallons to make a fast ferment / yeast starter If you wished Craig.
For one it gives you an idea of what FG your brew will settle out at and Two you've got your next batches yeast prepped and ready for the next go around.

A nice lazy brew day. Cherry Wood Smoked Brown Ale. I went with about 7% smoked malt and the sample I tasted had noticeable but subtle smokiness. I’m curious to see how it finishes up.

EF44B2B8-ED21-4A15-A5A8-82026D71A403.jpeg

000C76F8-8413-4ABC-A0D4-4F20083980B6.jpeg

Ben, what is "Gladiator" malt? Is this something from Russel Crowe's private stash?
Ha it's a dextrin malt Gladfield make it never used it before was in this recipie so went with it.
Hit all me.numbers 21.5 in the fermentor 1.5 in the flask just waiting till the chamber hits 15.5c and in will go the Swiss Lager yeast and 15psi of pressure.
Here's final sample
20200201_132810.jpg

Ha it's a dextrin malt Gladfield make it never used it before was in this recipie so went with it.
Hit all me.numbers 21.5 in the fermentor 1.5 in the flask just waiting till the chamber hits 15.5c and in will go the Swiss Lager yeast and 15psi of pressure.
Here's final sample
View attachment 8653
Nice color, and nice and clear, good job Ben!

@Yooper 's Oatmeal Stout is in the fermenter. OG was 1.053, off 1 point. Works for us. Interesting flavors in wort sample. Coffee, roasty, chocolaty, smooth mouthfeel, yum! Now we just need Denny's Fav. 50 to do it's stuff. :DFerm chamber @ 64f, hope that works out ok.

As evidenced by my post in "show us your boil", I brewed my west coast IPA which I named after my sweet little doggie, Ruby.
I give you Cit Ruby Cit
20200221_193839.jpg

Back