I brewed today!

Hey Ben, how hot is the wort when you transfer to the cube?
Boiling.
But you can transfer lower let's say 80c and add hops then for like half hour hop stand.
I was going to do this but I just transfered on top of my 0 minute hops. Erred on the side of caution pluss wanted some bitterness to it. It took about half hour to get below 80c which is what I've read is isomerisation temperature where alpha acids are converted to bitterness but I think there is a fair bit of give and take in this grey area of hop bitterness anyway.

For you in Canada you cube chill times would be heaps quicker.

I left the cube out to cool last night
Here is a shot of temp this morn 29.8.
20191208_075809.jpg
Perfect for kviek. I'll pitch into this cube shortly and I'm going to just add a real low pitch. Thisll be gen seven on this Loki sweet!

On a side note just checked my post times grist crushed 2:43pm in the cube 4:43 PM that's a record and a good reason for no chill if your in a pinch or think its rediculous trying to chill boiling wort with warm tap water especially when in worst drought.

Og came in at 1.050 4 points down but wort tasted so so malty was good tasting just the wort no hops you could chuck that on ya ice cream I recon. Cheers

Last edited:
Hi boys and girl, I’ve been out for awhile. It’s cold here and I brew outdoors so I’ve not brewed for awhile. Since my 5 kegs are running low I have to put on the base layers an I brewed a Comet/Chinook pale ale two days ago. Second time for this one because it was a hit!
Ah for the need of a hombrew man kind will brave the elements cross the globe climb mountains just to taste its sweet nectar.

Great to see you back in the forums Vallka

Hi boys and girl, I’ve been out for awhile. It’s cold here and I brew outdoors so I’ve not brewed for awhile. Since my 5 kegs are running low I have to put on the base layers an I brewed a Comet/Chinook pale ale two days ago. Second time for this one because it was a hit!

I'd be hanging out at A Frame :) Bet they're pouring some nice cold weather beers.

How and how long are you going to Lager that batch? Fridge and secondary or what??

I raise a glass to you and your sister. I need to brew this one again myself. I still think it's one of the best beers I've brewed.

I've heard about this one being a really great Brown Ale...have ay of you pitched it with dry yeast? I think the recommended was Safale04

The recipe in the book Brewing Classic Styles calls for WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or Safale US05. I have brewed it with each and really not noticed much difference in these 3 strains. 04 would be different flavor profiles.

Pretty kettle you have there!
Actually that’s a converted Walmart kettle. Unfortunately, after 3 years, the lower grade stainless is discoloring on the outside of the kettle along the lower 1/3 of the HLT. If you look closely, in the white reflection you can see it. Scrubbing and cleaning with Barkeepers Friend hasn’t removed it.

Brewday complete... just under 5 hours from Flame on, to everything cleaned and put away...

5:30 am before sunrise (we brew in the detached garage as we love being outside)...
C5E900E7-A6EA-4164-A969-8BE349D76AAD.jpeg

Strike water heating in HLT...
0F42B65F-576A-417D-945C-30ED8934DB4D.jpeg

Transfer from Mash Tun to Boil Kettle...
10BF61F6-433B-4163-9905-506780029840.jpeg

60 minute boil...
9F10034B-00FD-4468-A250-BBD1F213D0A9.jpeg

Ice Bath to 64 degrees (f)...
D5FC7C55-8B4E-4CF6-9066-D8E3BBC9CF5D.jpeg

Transfer from Boil Kettle to Fermenter...
88611C30-0344-4D28-BFD0-70457E30B8E6.jpeg

All Done... time for an ice cold Citrus IPA ( still have some chill haze)...
1A3D7BBE-891F-4884-A917-163CA17E11BE.jpeg

Brewday complete... just under 5 hours from Flame on, to everything cleaned and put away...

5:30 am before sunrise (we brew in the detached garage as we love being outside)...
View attachment 8256

Strike water heating in HLT...
View attachment 8255

Transfer from Mash Tun to Boil Kettle...
View attachment 8257

60 minute boil...
View attachment 8259

Ice Bath to 64 degrees (f)...
View attachment 8260

Transfer from Boil Kettle to Fermenter...
View attachment 8261

All Done... time for an ice cold Citrus IPA ( still have some chill haze)...
View attachment 8262
Looks like a great brew day!

And limped to the finish line. I knew the first tank was low and it lasted to get my mash water heated up. Then the 2nd one started to give out with about 10 mins left in the boil, but still had a little flame left at the end.
Its chilling, I'm cleaning, then I'm chillin

Back