I brewed today!

Brewed first Lager, a Kolsch! (20 Ales previously). Hit all the numbers and yeast is in the fermenter. Here's a pic of the wort between the boil kettle and the fermenter.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 95
I brewed a Yorkshire Mild yesterday. Thought I'd forgot the hops when tasting the wort, but at 10 IBUs I don't think your supposed to taste them.

Anno 2017.5 Maerzen - testing tweaks from the 2017 version for the 2018 version to be brewed in March or April.

Brewing Ozarks blondie ATM with some twists today im using 1kg brown rice for the nuttiness ( whatdaya think)? Also no carapils i run out so went straight bairds ale malt.
Im using fuggles FWH and at 10 flavour and then 50g sazz whirlpool for 30min.
Gunna hit it with some fresh wlp090 yeast.

Thats me brown rice softening up on the stove mmmm nutty :rolleyes: winner well time will tell:confused:.

Attachments

• 20180107_152710.jpg
    20180107_152710.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 110
finished up a breakfast brown ale last night around midnight. experimental for me, especially with water.

had a lot of oats and lactose, hopped with Amarillo at 5 and WP, and some sweet orange peel.

for water I did a healthy amount of baking soda and chalk into the DI mash water, I'm skeptical because one of those won't dissolve very well. overall, I went:

Ca......Mg...Na...Cl...SO4...HCO3

finished up a breakfast brown ale last night around midnight. experimental for me, especially with water.

had a lot of oats and lactose, hopped with Amarillo at 5 and WP, and some sweet orange peel.

for water I did a healthy amount of baking soda and chalk into the DI mash water, I'm skeptical because one of those won't dissolve very well. overall, I went:

Ca......Mg...Na...Cl...SO4...HCO3
Baking soda and chalk? Why do you need two carbonate sources? Chalk won't dissolve at all unless there's some acidity and I've found it tends to react with phosphates in the mash and give you tiny crystals of apatite which then cause gushers in the beer. Dissolved carbonate is bicarbonate so general advice: Don't waste your time with chalk.

Baking soda and chalk? Why do you need two carbonate sources? Chalk won't dissolve at all unless there's some acidity and I've found it tends to react with phosphates in the mash and give you tiny crystals of apatite which then cause gushers in the beer. Dissolved carbonate is bicarbonate so general advice: Don't waste your time with chalk.
What is the best way to dissolve chalk then?
if I use just baking soda I can't hit all my numbers without overdoing it on Sodium.

What is the best way to dissolve chalk then?
if I use just baking soda I can't hit all my numbers without overdoing it on Sodium.
How much carbonate do you need? I wouldn't trust my feeble memory on how to dissolve chalk, I don't use it because of the gushing problem, but I know it involves acids. Or carbon dioxide. And by "overdoing" it on sodium, how much are we talking about? A few ppm won't hurt a thing and won't make your beer salty. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you're doing a very dark beer and the pH is too low. Here are a couple of suggestions to deal with the problem without trying to dissolve chalk: First, RDWHAHB. And there's some science behind this: If your beer has a lot of roasted (black) grains, the calculator doesn't solve for them quite correctly, overstating their acidity. If you have a pH meter, check the pH and if it's in the range (5.2 - 5.6), do nothing. Second, don't mash the darkest grains, but add them at the sparge. This way you can adjust the water for the lighter mash (needing lower Residual Alkalinity), then adding in the acidic, black grains at sparge will keep you from over-sparging and extracting tannins. Third, since you're adjusting alkalinity, you can use sodium hydroxide (a much stronger base than calcium carbonate), or potassium hydroxide or potassium carbonate if it's really sodium you're worried about in addition to your mash pH. Nothing beats a good check with a pH meter once the mash has been in progress about 5 minutes or so. If your mash pH is above (or a tenth of a point or so below) 5.2, don't worry about it!

Brewed a Marzen today. Hit the numbers and finished in 5 hours.

I got way behind over the holidays. Now I have a keg of Amber and a keg of Kentucky Common conditioning in the kegerator. Both malt forward, I know. :oops:Then a keg of Marzen lagering for 6 more weeks, and a keg of IPA brewed 2 days ago along with the Marzen (ale test platform for next Marzen lager) brewed today.

Cider a month along as well. Time to relax a little and reap the benefits.:)

Well, technically Sunday. 6 mini batches to test the contributions of a single hop addition at different points in the boil

Now to make sure I have enough bottles for it all....

Yesterday: Homage to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (beats the heck out of trying to clone it).

Brewed an Irish Red Ale, similar to a Kilkenny. 1.054 and on the dark side of the color for the style. Going to serve 5 gal on Nitro and 5 gal on CO2. 1.054 as per plan.
20180116_124735-1512x2016.jpg

nice, I wanted to brew but cant its been in the negative temps for a couple of days -14 wind chill this morning, can't brew for a while. I did change one of my recipes to an extract, that will have to do so I don't run out :oops:

Certainly don't want to be running out !

I am well stocked at the moment, and no I am not complaining ! I brew more than I drink apparently!

Far out OZ you did love that amber ale then he he hee! Yes I'm in the process of trying to build up my own stocks after the festive merrysom season and we've got Australia Day coming up on the 25th of Jan that's gunna be at least a keg or two :p.

Brewed an Irish Red Ale, similar to a Kilkenny. 1.054 and on the dark side of the color for the style. Going to serve 5 gal on Nitro and 5 gal on CO2. 1.054 as per plan.
View attachment 2380
Ah gee she sure does look good in the sample there snook that with a nice tight creamy head that just keeps sticking to ya chops has gotta be a winner!

Well it smells like fermentation is underway, but not bubbling through my blow off tube. I am guessing the leak is where the tubing joins on the lid seal. Hopefully I have enough head space to not have krausen trying to seep through the lid.
Noticed that my plug for bottom drain / sight tube is allowing wort to pass through since I have wort in the sight tube. It was all sanitized anyway but was hoping to minimize contact outside of the vessel.

Time will tell!

Oops, put that last in the wrong thread...

Back