I brewed today!

Got distracted between brews and had a very slow run off with the stout probably due to the rolled oats .
Hit my numbers with an extra litre already chilled and pitched and a blow off tube installed .
Almost at end of the mash for APA so I better keep at it

Brewed the “Banana Nut Bread Ale”. 84% Brewhouse efficiency, but that ran us to an OG of 1.063 when target OG was to be 1.058. Mashed at 154, so all those sugars are fermentable. Hope the higher alcohol doesn’t effect the body/mouthfeel/flavor to much. Looks like an ABV around 6.5%. Now it’s the yeast’s turn to do it’s magic. Wyeast 3068.... fermenting at 72 to push banana esters and will ramp up to 74 for rest. Keeping fingers crossed. I told my wife this is a swing for the fences as far as my expected out come, but we’ll see..... fingers crossed :rolleyes:

My keg of 2 C's Pale Ale unexpectedly perished...my pipeline is running dangerously low! I'm brewing up a cream ale today, but I'll need to get another one going quickly! Hopefully next weekend.

right there with you crappy cold weather did it to me, just blow another keg last night so I have 2 half filed kegs, I need to brew

Playing with lagers has affected my pipeline , at least I have 2 separate ferment fridges and can manage a third if I evict the yeast .
Woke up to find 2 inches of krausen on the stout so happy I fitted blow off tube .
With our next bjcp study night being hosted by local German club we have a little side bet going for our best German beer ....given the short time frame I'll knock out a quick hefe in single fridge then a marzen and dunkel in the big fridge the following week .
Don't need a crystal ball to see more kegs and taps in my future

:):)
Brewing that Irish Red. A little darker than planned but not far off and overshot with efficiency by probably 6 points. Oh what the hell it's Irish, they always over indulge. Will be close to 5%ABV or more.
Trying a yeast I picked up from LHBS for IPA's. A Wyeast Private Collection West Coast IPA 1217. It made a great Homegrown hopped IPA and is suppose to be good in reds too so we will see. Really liked its performance so far. 1.062 IPA finished in 4 days without a starter and after a dryhop and 2 weeks in fermenter was cleaned up very well.
View attachment 2599 This is 3 weeks from yeast pitch.
Yes a little gelatin help too.:rolleyes:
Just a follow up on this yeast. Holy Crap!!! Done by Tuesday evening. Not finished I am sure, but cleaning itself up now. The "YEASTIES" are using their napkin to wipe their mouth off after a small meal! They blew through that Irish Red at 66f (wort ferment temp not chamber) quickly. These "yeasties" know what they are doing. Pitched half a "SLURRY" in each 5gal fermenter and they had their track shoes on. Curious how this will finish out. No I haven't opened the fermenter yet for a sample because I am relaxing, not worrying and having a home brew.:)

:):)
Just a follow up on this yeast. Holy Crap!!! Done by Tuesday evening. Not finished I am sure, but cleaning itself up now. The "YEASTIES" are using their napkin to wipe their mouth off after a small meal! They blew through that Irish Red at 66f (wort ferment temp not chamber) quickly. These "yeasties" know what they are doing. Pitched half a "SLURRY" in each 5gal fermenter and they had their track shoes on. Curious how this will finish out. No I haven't opened the fermenter yet for a sample because I am relaxing, not worrying and having a home brew.:)
3 cheers for yeasties !

Mamacita's Dunkel is in the fridge to ferment. Really tough brew day - winds up to 40 mph, hard to keep a consistent boil. Turns out I boiled off too much water and had to add back.

Mamacita's Dunkel is in the fridge to ferment. Really tough brew day - winds up to 40 mph, hard to keep a consistent boil. Turns out I boiled off too much water and had to add back.
maybe the boil was better than you thought rename mamacitas windy dunkel:p

You're likely right about the wind and the boil. At least I could keep the flame going.
Have you read the lid on lid off brulosophy EXBEERIMENT I was astounded at the losses they recieved with lid,on 60min boil meaning it can be surprising. How many times I've doubted my kettle volume and opted to boil an extra 15 minutes only to be short in the fermentor really kicks me in the arse sometimes. Trust yourself trust your numbers stick to your tried and tested process ( this is my mantra).

Just pitched my Pre-sort of-Prohibition Lager. Had it in the fridge cooling sown for a few hours. Using W-34/70, so pitched at 63F. Love how clean this yeast ferments at ale temperature.

Have you read the lid on lid off brulosophy EXBEERIMENT I was astounded at the losses they recieved with lid,on 60min boil meaning it can be surprising. How many times I've doubted my kettle volume and opted to boil an extra 15 minutes only to be short in the fermentor really kicks me in the arse sometimes. Trust yourself trust your numbers stick to your tried and tested process ( this is my mantra).
Lid-on reduces heat loss so it would boil more vigorously. I don't mind having to add water, I just put a bit of metabisulfite in tap water and bring the beer's gravity down to where I want it. It's when you still need to take water out at the end of the boil that's a pain.

I'm paranoid dms or other bad things in the steam that's being boiled out would be put back in the beer so I don't use a lid even during the whirlpool, I do lose 3 gallons in my boil but I'm working on that too

You lose 3 gallons? Are you boiling in a very tall straw??

Back