I brewed today!

Dough in for Dirty Duck Pale Ale 12:00 MDT. Mash pH was a bit unruly but got it under control. Temperature within tolerance. Start mash temp 153 F. End mash temp 149 F - temp loss due to frequent opening of mash tun for pH checks - need to build a "floating" lid on the mash itself and take samples using the valve. Boil started 2:00 p.m. G=1.044, pH=5.47 Within tolerance. Conversion 83.3%. Colorado weather gods up to their mischief: As soon as I light the flame, the wind kicks up. Unhopped wort is very tasty - reminiscent of oatmeal and cream of wheat. Should make a good beer.
The mesh of the bag on my hop spider is too large - the pellet hops are getting out almost unrestrained.
Flameout, 3:18 MDT. Steeping aroma hops 15 mins after flameout before starting chill. Chiller in the wort. Had to acidify the wort to get it down to 5.2.
Oh, forgot to mention, survived the end of the world (again).
Oxygenating chilled wort now. Yeast is rehydrated and ready to go. Pitch temp will be 60 degrees, ferm temp 65 degrees, rising after 3 days. Wort has a nice bitterness to it. 5:22 MDT. Will be done minus cleanup in six hours.
Beer's pitched and in the 'fridge at 5:30. 5.5 hours elapsed since dough-in. I wanted to post a log of my brew session as well as pictures of the wort and my brew day record, independent of what I keep here. My opinion is that good brewers are attentive to detail so I wanted to show the details I attend to.
WIN_20170924_17_28_35_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170924_17_30_14_Pro.jpg

A follow-up: The Nottingham yeast has already chewed through 33 gravity points - Day 2 and I'm at 1.021. I just shut the fridge off to let it finish at whatever temperature it wants....

yep that yeast will do that just be careful it needs cool temps or flavors will show up especially in a lighter style

Thanks for the heads-up - the brew I'm doing could probably stand a touch of diacetyl. I'll go down and plug in the refrigerators again....

Brewed a nice Vlad the Pale Ale'r today but had to good of a efficiency! (posted in recipes)

going to brew a floral rose pale ale today.

I have rose hips on hand, I'm second guessing when and how much to use. Boil and ferment? Dry 'hip'?

Brewed a Holiday Red Ale with Orange peel.

Quite possibly our worst brewday so far. It started Saturday morning after I checked on my 1028 london Ale (Wyeast) only to find that it has went bad. Smack pack never inflated, so I suspected I might lose it. Was on the stir plate overnight. Went to check the gravity to see if it had taken off and no movement and the yeast smelled horrible. Fortunately had an extra Wyeast 1056, so rushed the starter to the stir plate for a 24 hour growth prior to pitching onto the wort yesterday (Sunday...brewday). The 1056 went fine and started bubbling the airlock within hours.

I have never undershot a gravity by more then 2 points, but yesterday, we came up with a 1.056 (hmmm. coincidentence with the yeast stock number of 1056) for an OG and should have came in around 1.064.

So, I am hopeful that the American Ale (Wyeast 1056) plays well with the recipe that called for a London Ale (Wyeast 1028), but not sure how the beer will turn out with the wrong yeast and 8 points of OG.

I have reviewed my brew notes and for the life of me, i cannot find where I went wrong.

Ive had plenty of days just like that, one a day I thought I had the yeast, I brewed all day and drank, it was a Saturday and the lbs was closed Sunday, I generally will let the beer chill over night to hit 60 so Sunday morning I went to hydrate the dry yeast and I was out, then I lost my notes and forgot to clean up, i wasn't a happy camper

yep that yeast will do that just be careful it needs cool temps or flavors will show up especially in a lighter style

What temp do you use for the Notty? I just used it for the first time. I set my chamber at 64 and then bumped it up to 66 after a few days.

Nottingham leaves a very clean flavor and is fast and chews everything if left cold, the only off flavor is not a good one, its like stinky feet and ruins the beer

I ran it at about 65 degrees the whole way through.

Brewing a Bustin Out Stout this evening.
1# Black malt
1# Roast Barley
1# Chocolate malt
18# 2-row
2 oz Magnum 60 min. for 60 IBU
2 oz each Homegrown Centennial and Saaz 5 min. for aroma
Simple and to the point.
10.5 gal into fermentor

Edit: Came out spot on! Hate to use a lager hop in something like this but wanted a spicy side and it is there. This should last through the holidays if I can keep other beers with it.

Last edited:
I'm brewing a coffee stout right now, it was an afterthought to add the coffee, I had made a second pot of fresh ground good beans and i didn't drink it all so I just added the brewed coffee right to the finished mash, I know thats not the norm but it should be fine

I'm brewing a coffee stout right now, it was an afterthought to add the coffee, I had made a second pot of fresh ground good beans and i didn't drink it all so I just added the brewed coffee right to the finished mash, I know thats not the norm but it should be fine
If it's anything like bertus breweries coffee stout you'll be glad you did. Go some more after fermentation is done you'll thank me for it:).

I reluctantly used 1 pound of roasted barley instead of black malt in a 5 gallon batch, I can still smell the roast so I'm thinking its a bit much

No more than 10% is a good rule eh? Stouts aren't my forte but I know I'm brewing that coffee one again!

Back