I brewed today!

brewing a saison today. Belgian Pale, White Wheat, and Vienna in it. Styrian and Saaz.

Doing something new today, because I hate the Wyeast packs, while heating my strike water I cut open a bag of Wyeast 3711 French Saison and poured all the packs into my Erlenmeyer flask. So no smacking. It should work, right?

brewing a saison today. Belgian Pale, White Wheat, and Vienna in it. Styrian and Saaz.

Doing something new today, because I hate the Wyeast packs, while heating my strike water I cut open a bag of Wyeast 3711 French Saison and poured all the packs into my Erlenmeyer flask. So no smacking. It should work, right?
Did you smack it afterwards? The inner pack contains yeast nutrients but isn't necessary to make a starter.

The smack is just an inbuilt viability test , I've had them not swell and still rip through a batch .
Rdwahahb .

I've not even got to work yet and I want to leave so I can go brew more !
Bought yet another fridge for $60 delivered so now can have 4 different 24 litre batches running at home , plus whatever I stuff into my apprentices fridge
40 and 60 litre batches at my brew partners .

100+ litres a week output !!

Did you smack it afterwards? The inner pack contains yeast nutrients but isn't necessary to make a starter.
The smack is just an inbuilt viability test , I've had them not swell and still rip through a batch
yeah I poured in the milky beige liquid, then cut the inner pack of dark brown liquid, mixed it up in the flask.

Hit 16.8º post boil, but then another reading after it cooled down read 16.2º. Either way, I was expecting 13.6º, so my efficiency was way up today. Easy easy brew day, took 4.5 hours.

We had to make some recipe adjustments because of better hop utilization, conversion, etc. but all in all the process is exactly the same. I work in process and procedure and brewing becomes an excellent example of the difference between the two: There's no difference between what we do and what the biggest breweries on the planet do, it's just how we do it.
Hops are what I was thinking about. It's basically the opposite of sizing down for clones. On utilization and conversion are you more efficient than the brewery? You have things dialed in well but sugars are for profit so do they convert more goodies?

Finished work 4.25 hours ago so rushed start to brewday and already finisjed chilling with glycol unit .
Love this toy and just want one of my own
5 mins to 80 c from boiling , full 60 litre batch

Attachments

• IMG_20170716_192632.jpg
    IMG_20170716_192632.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 103
idea just popped in my head.

Cheap way to heat up your chamber for those saisons you might be fermenting, grab a rice bag, microwave for about 2 min, add to chamber.

don't have a rice bag? old pillow case, minute rice, tie knot, microwave.

My Ferm chamber has been around 75 since that's the inside temp and I guess my AC is working too well. Thought I'd try this out for that 3711 yeast

Hops are what I was thinking about. It's basically the opposite of sizing down for clones. On utilization and conversion are you more efficient than the brewery? You have things dialed in well but sugars are for profit so do they convert more goodies?
Somewhat less. We had to adjust for a few things. We couldn't step mash. Hop utilization was higher. His mashing process and mine were exactly the same. No additional heating, just infuse and go. Of course, his mash tun is much bigger so his temperature drop is lower over the hour. All in all, my process is more versatile. About the same efficiency. His mash temperature is more stabile.

Brewed Clone of Troeg's Nugget Nectar yesterday. Hit all the numbers, but wow.... lots of hops to filter out between boil kettle and fermenter. Blow off tube has been busy since about 9 hours after pitch!

Brewed Clone of Troeg's Nugget Nectar yesterday. Hit all the numbers, but wow.... lots of hops to filter out between boil kettle and fermenter. Blow off tube has been busy since about 9 hours after pitch!
I love that stuff! Mind sharing your recipe?

I love that stuff! Mind sharing your recipe?

This one seems the best, as there are a lot of variations on the percentages of the grains (My LHBS had all available from his inventory but the Palisade hops, fortunately he had time to get some in before brew day:D):

Grains
7.75 lb Vienna
4.5 lb Dark Munich
2.75 lb Pilsner

- Mash at 150 (f) for 1 hour. (I mashed at 150.2 (f), and after 1 hour, was down to 150.0 (f))
- pH measured @5.0
  • Spent almost an hour and a half total for first running and batch sparge as I was worried about hitting OG of 1.071
  • First runnings were 1.082, but only yielded 2.5 gallons (1.25 qts per lb of grain ratio). This is why I slowed down the batch sparge run off as I am usually 11 points below on preboil runnings from post boil gravity and I am usually yielding about 3.5 gallons after first runnings. So with the low first runnings gravity and volume... I slowed the batch sparge run off way down
  • 6.75 gallons in the boil kettle @ 1.058
Boil for 1 hour.

1 oz. Nugget @ 60 minutes left in the boil
3/4 oz. Columbus @ 20 minutes left in the boil
1 oz. Palisade @ 10 minutes left in the boil (Lots of foam after about a minute in the boil kettle... turned kettle down to stop it)
1/2 oz. Nugget @ 5 minutes left in the boil
1.5 oz. Nugget @ 1 minute left in the boil
3/4 oz. Simcoe @ 1 minute left in the boil
3/4 oz. Columbus @ 1 minute left in the boil

Dry Hop Additions:

1 oz. Nugget, 3/4 oz. Columbus and 1/2 oz. Simcoe with 5 days left in Secondary.

Fermentation: Up to 2 weeks or until fermentation stabilizes, then rack to Secondary for a couple more weeks.

* Whirlfloc and Yeast nutrient added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Chilled with ice Bath (15 minutes from boil to 68 (f))

Yeast Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) with a DME yeast starter. I don't have a stir plate, so I give it a swirl 5-6 times between Friday night and brew day yeast pitch. But just like all of our other beers, within 8 hours, she was fermenting well, and by the next morning, I had to change out my blow off tube container. :)

Nailed OG @ 1.071 with 5.25 gallons in the fermenter
FG target @ 1.014

I transferred everything from the boil kettle to the fermenter and filter bag screen between the two. Had to wash out the filter bag screen half a dozen times.

I use bottled water as we have a well... too high in iron.
The color is spot on. Am hopeful the flavor is as well.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20170719_145126.jpg
    20170719_145126.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 97
Picked up the ingredients for a rye IPA today
400 g in pellets and 200 g of flowers plus whatever I add at last minute knowing me
Summit bittering
Cascade , citra and mouteka for flavour and planning on using cascade and galaxy flowers through a hopback ....it will be a IPA no doubt about it

Waiting for the boil to get going... 2-row and Oats today, only hops are are Galaxy and Citra at whirlpool. Going to dry hop with both of those too. Fermenting on WLP095 Burlington

Another comp beer just hitting boil now
Australian sparkling ale (12B )
Since style only really reflects 2 available beer both from same brewer I've split the difference between both so should nail the guidelines .
I've been trying to clone the lower ABV version for a few years and have brewed its bigger brother as well so it should be a solid drinking beer even if it doesn't impress the judges

Red Rye Ale chilling in the basement. Undershot gravity by 6 points but will go with it. No DME on hand to correct with and it could be better as a lighter beer.

I brewed my bleach blond but did the swap, I kegged my session then poured the blond on the same yeast cake, temp came out a little high but its lowering to 60 now

Back