I brewed today!

View attachment 15485 Two and a half+ gallons of my homage to Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, using Safale US-05. Airlock is active just an hour after pitching. I will dry hop this about 5 days before bottling. Cheers!
I don't want to offer advice when it isn't requested.
Would you like me to tell you when I would add the dry hops?
Don't worry, I'm not going to say before you go to bed tonight...

I don't want to offer advice when it isn't requested.
Would you like me to tell you when I would add the dry hops?
Don't worry, I'm not going to say before you go to bed tonight...
Sure, offer your suggestion. The worst that could happen is I follow your suggestion -
Just kidding.

Same, don't feel the need to change it up just cause Craig said too. That's incentive to leave it alone! ;)

You guys are all pretty funny!
My suggestion would just be to add the hops near the end of fermentation, just to help mitigate O2. I recall that you tend to leave beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks. If you are concerned about hop exposure time and grassiness, you should be able to package at 2 weeks without any issues. Any time I use US-05 I am usually at terminal gravity, and cold crashing after 10 or 12 days.

You guys are all pretty funny!
My suggestion would just be to add the hops near the end of fermentation, just to help mitigate O2. I recall that you tend to leave beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks. If you are concerned about hop exposure time and grassiness, you should be able to package at 2 weeks without any issues. Any time I use US-05 I am usually at terminal gravity, and cold crashing after 10 or 12 days.
Fair enough. You are correct, I typically leave brews in primary for 3 weeks. My issue is I don’t have cold crashing capability. The recipe I am following says to dry hop for 5 days after fermentation is complete. I will have to check gravity with my refractometer. I expect dry hops addition will liberate CO2 out of suspension, which should help mitigate any O2 introduced.

That's the consensus dry hopping at end of fermentation as the Co2 produced will drive off any introduced o2.

But as for extended hop contact time that's another story...

Fair enough. You are correct, I typically leave brews in primary for 3 weeks. My issue is I don’t have cold crashing capability. The recipe I am following says to dry hop for 5 days after fermentation is complete. I will have to check gravity with my refractometer. I expect dry hops addition will liberate CO2 out of suspension, which should help mitigate any O2 introduced.
Right forgot about not being able to cold crash. There isn't a huge risk of O2 when dry hopping, probably better to have a small risk of O2, than a large risk of grassiness from over exposure. Enjoy it fresh once carbed up, and I'm sure it will be fine.
Cheers!

@Josh Hughes The Stoater Stout came out almost as predicted. 4 Gallons out at 1.042. Just about to pitch S-04 and pop it in the fridge.
Some pics as I went on.
upload_2021-4-30_16-40-9.png
Lautering with intent.
upload_2021-4-30_16-41-29.png
Feeling chilled
upload_2021-4-30_16-42-5.png
Post Boil gravity
upload_2021-4-30_16-42-47.png
Came out clear today.

Holy El Dorado Batman! Dry hopping with a half-pound of El Dorado? :eek:

The aroma has got to be fantastic on that one. :)

Back