I brewed today!

Utilized a step mash for the first time today for this batch of Shady Boh. 15 minutes in the beta range, then 45 in the alpha range. We'll see how it affects the final product :)
20210320_090456.jpg

Coffee Stout. The coffee, from a local roasting company, will be added “dry bean” later on. The base Stout is my tried and true, and all numbers were hit spot-on. That’s not saying anything though because they should, given how many times I’ve brewed this.

DF758ADE-50ED-4845-A8B6-8E7D142F92B2.jpeg

I brewed my fifth batch of Herm’s Amber Ale today, and it was a relaxed and pleasant brew day. The mash sat, well insulated and uninterrupted for the full 60 minutes. My pre-boil gravity and volume were very close to recipe values, O.G. hit the mark, with volume as expected. On the fly, I decided to pitch Voss Kveik, from an open packet. Just 6 hours after pitch, krausen is forming under a bubbling airlock. Brewing sure is fun.

Watching kveik go off is quite a thing. Over the course of less than 2 hours, it went from a clearing wort with a few surface bubbles to thick, expanding krausen. Bubbles went from every 5 seconds to multiple bubbles per second. There should be enough capacity in the top of that FerMonster .......

Watching kveik go off is quite a thing. Over the course of less than 2 hours, it went from a clearing wort with a few surface bubbles to thick, expanding krausen. Bubbles went from every 5 seconds to multiple bubbles per second. There should be enough capacity in the top of that FerMonster .......
It sure does go nuts. I’m going to use it this summer for a run of things.

I've been using S04 for my one gallon batches for a while now, but pitched Voss kveik into my latest batch. I had gotten used to how civilized and dignified S04 was during fermentation, never stepping out of line even once. But then the kveik batch overflowed the first night and I woke up to the carboy sitting in a 1/4 inch of beer :rolleyes:

3 gallons of Bob Toot's Cream ale. I skimmed as much of the hot break as I could, whirpooled/siphoned to the fermenter to leave behind the kettle trub, and used my typical Irish moss. Let's see if I can keep the clarity until consumption
20210403_165825.jpg
20210403_170330.jpg

3 gallons of Bob Toot's Cream ale. I skimmed as much of the hot break as I could, whirpooled/siphoned to the fermenter to leave behind the kettle trub, and used my typical Irish moss. Let's see if I can keep the clarity until consumption
View attachment 15067 View attachment 15068
I forget who said it but - "start with clear beer, end with clear beer"!

Back