I brewed today!

I buy grains from 2 different lhbs. At the old lhbs (Phantom Ales), customers are allowed to weigh and mill their own grains, but they do not permit gap adjustment. There, I always run my grains through twice. At the new lhbs (Windsor Home Brew Supply) they do the weighing and the milling of the grains. Their mill is fancy, and has a setting that is great for BIAB, so I request that setting. Either way works for me, and beer gets brewed.
Most places I've been they mill it themselves. My favorite place we get to weigh out and mill our own grain. I love being able to sample some of the grain as I go

The first homebrew shop I dealt with would let you weigh and mill you own, with their Corona mill :eek:
Not that I have anything against corn grinders, but kind of low budget for a retail outlet.

I brewed a stout today and I have my fingers crossed since I'm using some Kveik slurry that's second generation and about 4 months old...if the little buggers are doing their job come morning, I'm gonna be thinking about a fall back plan,,,what's the consensus group? Sprinkle some S04 on the top??
Did it take off?

Cascade and Chinook pale ale. I didn't strain the proteins out on the way to the fermenter, like I have been lately
, to see what happens. I left behind about half a quart of hop trub and Irish moss/coagulated things at the bottom of the BK (whirlpooled with a spoon and then autosiphoned to the ferm). I added hop pellets directly to the wort this batch. My past few hoppy beers have been a little lacking in punch since I started using a "hop spider," aka a paint strainer bag lol
20210309_123505.jpg
20210309_125135.jpg

Cascade and Chinook pale ale. I didn't strain the proteins out on the way to the fermenter, like I have been lately
, to see what happens. I left behind about half a quart of hop trub and Irish moss/coagulated things at the bottom of the BK (whirlpooled with a spoon and then autosiphoned to the ferm). I added hop pellets directly to the wort this batch. My past few hoppy beers have been a little lacking in punch since I started using a "hop spider," aka a paint strainer bag lol
View attachment 14607 View attachment 14606

Now you're talkin'. Sounds like my kind of beer. The trub & hop debris will settle out and compact with the yeast. May even contribute some nutrients for the yeast.

Now you're talkin'. Sounds like my kind of beer. The trub & hop debris will settle out and compact with the yeast. May even contribute some nutrients for the yeast.
I even used Liberty Bell yeast! You inspired me on this brew Bob :)

If there is room in the fermenter, I always dump the whole BK, minus whatever the double-mesh strainer filters out. The times I have left as much trub as in I could in the kettle, I didn't notice any difference in the beer.
That's usually how I do it, but I used hop bags or spiders to keep the hop pellet trub out. Maybe next time I'll go whole hog and put everything in the kettle AND the fermenter :)

You better believe it! They've been curbside pickup only, so haven't been in the store in a long time

Oh yeah...Chris and Company are good people for sure. I started using them when Westminster House of Brews closed down and I was uncertain at first but they have earned my loyalty especially with how they have been so responsive over the last year.

Friday night brew session
6% 4 SRM NEIPA
Just shy of a pound of hops (430 grams). VOSS yeast was chugging away after a couple hours, added first dry addition shortly after that, after this coffee going to add the second dry addition. Should have this kegged and pouring by next weekend.
20210319_165722.jpg

Back