Home Reno Projects

Dust collector conversion to a two stage unit is done and it really sucks now. The cyclone is the first stage and dumps most everything into the galvanized trash bin, the green and red led are a homemade level sensor to tell me when the bin is getting full. the last bit of dust ends up in the filter and bucket. The filter is the thing that makes the biggest difference in how well this thing can move air now. A lot of scraps went into this project.

This is so quiet compared to running a shop vacuum.

2023-01-06 14.34.31-1.jpg

2023-01-06 14.34.14-1.jpg

2023-01-06 14.42.28-1.jpg

Dust collector conversion to a two stage unit is done and it really sucks now. The cyclone is the first stage and dumps most everything into the galvanized trash bin, the green and red led are a homemade level sensor to tell me when the bin is getting full. the last bit of dust ends up in the filter and bucket. The filter is the thing that makes the biggest difference in how well this thing can move air now. A lot of scraps went into this project.

This is so quiet compared to running a shop vacuum.

View attachment 23810

View attachment 23811

View attachment 23812
How do you sense dust level in the metal pail to control the LEDs?

How do you sense dust level in the metal pail to control the LEDs?
I used a Banner Engineering QS18VN6D photoelectric sensor. It's NPN and has a potentiometer to adjust the trigger range. It can sink 20ma so I connected directly to the LEDs, they're supposed to draw <= 20ma 12v.

Last edited:
Bought a load of rough sawn White Cedar from a local sawmill and milled it into Nickle gap tongue and groove siding for the sauna. Finished it with a linseed oil base stain:

View attachment 26959 View attachment 26960 View attachment 26961
Wow very sexy man!
And some skills!

You woulda saved a motza on dressing that timber yourself.

Any chance you can describe how you went about it please?

Thicknesser and you had a tounge and Grove type bit on a router ?

Love the finish I'm gathering it'll yellow as the years go buy?

Any chance you can describe how you went about it please?
Sure, i have a jointer (plane don't know what you call it) to make a flat reference face and edge square to that. It has a helical cutterhead that uses 40 carbide cutters. So I used this to take about 2.5mm of each side of the board and then decide which was the face. after that I used the back as a reference to plane the edges 90 degrees to the back. All of the boards were gang ripped and pretty parallel so I did both edges:
2023-10-15 19.33.30.jpg

Then I ran them through the thickness planer (Dewalt 735 a pretty standard prosumer thickness planer, sorry no pic) to get them parallel and the same thickness using that back reference surface from the jointer.

Then I cut the tongue on all of the boards with an adjustable Freud T&G cutter with my router table. after that I put in the groove cutter and ran all the boards through that. 136 of them... You do have to watch the router speed on that big of a diameter bit and I do not think you would be able to hand hold the router.... it is more a shaper like this. When i cut the groove I made it a little shallow so it would leave a gap in the joint. This bit is designed to make shaker style doors originally...
2023-10-15 19.35.18.jpg

Sure, i have a jointer (plane don't know what you call it) to make a flat reference face and edge square to that. It has a helical cutterhead that uses 40 carbide cutters. So I used this to take about 2.5mm of each side of the board and then decide which was the face. after that I used the back as a reference to plane the edges 90 degrees to the back. All of the boards were gang ripped and pretty parallel so I did both edges:
View attachment 26963

Then I ran them through the thickness planer (Dewalt 735 a pretty standard prosumer thickness planer, sorry no pic) to get them parallel and the same thickness using that back reference surface from the jointer.

Then I cut the tongue on all of the boards with an adjustable Freud T&G cutter with my router table. after that I put in the groove cutter and ran all the boards through that. 136 of them... You do have to watch the router speed on that big of a diameter bit and I do not think you would be able to hand hold the router.... it is more a shaper like this. When i cut the groove I made it a little shallow so it would leave a gap in the joint. This bit is designed to make shaker style doors originally...
View attachment 26964
Thankyou Froasty for the detailed explanation you sure are a go getter!

Very nice yes I've seen them router bits in the stores here pricey but oh boy a big time saving especially on 136 boards wow:eek:.

I bet you were fanging for a beer after that task.

Your Canadian?
Or your router table from there aye?

Firing the new sauna stove to burn off manufacturing oil and paint outside... pew stinky:

2023-11-12 16.54.21.jpg

It was downhill on wheeled moving dollies to this point. Recruited a neighbor to move it up into the sauna. This thing is massive, it weighs 200 Kg. Forearm forklifts to the rescue, and an inclined plane and moving blankets and it's inside.

2023-11-18 15.37.53.jpg

It's nice to have some heat in there while paneling the rest of the walls:
2023-11-19 16.49.43.jpg

After that it's time to build some doors...

Firing the new sauna stove to burn off manufacturing oil and paint outside... pew stinky:

View attachment 27354

It was downhill on wheeled moving dollies to this point. Recruited a neighbor to move it up into the sauna. This thing is massive, it weighs 200 Kg. Forearm forklifts to the rescue, and an inclined plane and moving blankets and it's inside.

View attachment 27355

View attachment 27356

Wow you been at this project for awhile man.

Looks Fing Beatiful.
Now are you gunna have a beer in there or save that for afterwards to quench the thirst :D :D

View attachment 27354

View attachment 27355

View attachment 27356

I had to laugh. From the sequence of photos, it looks like you moved the fireplace in while it was still lit.

In any case, it definitely is looking real good.

Back