Home Reno Projects

So the daughter's main sewer line clogged last weekend, some (clean) water got under the laminate. The plumber charged her $900 to run a camera and find the clog, but "didn't bring an auger" to clean it. Instead, they quoted $1400 to dig up a section of pipe (under grass, less than a meter down) and $3600 to replace 6 feet of pipe.

Ghaa!

So she and I dug it up, and saw this. It's been like that since the house was built, 41 years.
9E1623D9-D41F-4938-B10B-B94444C71A92.jpeg

So we went to Home Depot, and this was the result.

DA96AF51-6048-4E2A-A4AF-D6FC368CDAD2.jpeg

The day started at 11 and by 5:30 we were done, tested and sod reinstalled.

Happy days!

So the daughter's main sewer line clogged last weekend, some (clean) water got under the laminate. The plumber charged her $900 to run a camera and find the clog, but "didn't bring an auger" to clean it. Instead, they quoted $1400 to dig up a section of pipe (under grass, less than a meter down) and $3600 to replace 6 feet of pipe.

Ghaa!

So she and I dug it up, and saw this. It's been like that since the house was built, 41 years.
View attachment 28034

View attachment 28035

Happy days!
That's impressive Don. How did you cut the existing pipe with so little elbow room? What is the purpose of the vertical pipe?

That old cast iron pipe is some tough stuff to cut through. I smoked a sawall blade when I tried to cut one to fix my shower drain. Didn't even scratch the pipe. Had to use a grinder to cut through.

That's impressive Don. How did you cut the existing pipe with so little elbow room? What is the purpose of the vertical pipe?
Sawzall. We dug enough elbow room. It's just black ABS @west1m so it cuts like butter. The vertical pipe is for an eventual (it's gotta warm up out there) "Sewer Popper", which pops up if the drain gets clogged again. Yes, it'll let the raw sewage onto the lawn, but not into the house.

Inside, there's an open 3" vertical pipe in the slab floor, with a trap below, intended for the condensate from the a/c unit. It ends about 6" above the slab. The top of the popper should be about 10" below that. I hope it opens before there's overflow indoors.

Saved serious coin @Trialben but the greater value was yet another lesson for her. She is quite handy and unafraid. I helped dig, but she did most of the work with some coaching. The son I never had.

Cast iron pipe gets cut with a thing that looks like a chain saw blade on a pair of locking pliers. You rock it back and forth, the blades cut into the pipe until it snaps. Thank goodness I didn't have to buy one.

Sawzall. We dug enough elbow room. It's just black ABS @west1m so it cuts like butter. The vertical pipe is for an eventual (it's gotta warm up out there) "Sewer Popper", which pops up if the drain gets clogged again. Yes, it'll let the raw sewage onto the lawn, but not into the house.

Inside, there's an open 3" vertical pipe in the slab floor, with a trap below, intended for the condensate from the a/c unit. It ends about 6" above the slab. The top of the popper should be about 10" below that. I hope it opens before there's overflow indoors.

Saved serious coin @Trialben but the greater value was yet another lesson for her. She is quite handy and unafraid. I helped dig, but she did most of the work with some coaching. The son I never had.

Cast iron pipe gets cut with a thing that looks like a chain saw blade on a pair of locking pliers. You rock it back and forth, the blades cut into the pipe until it snaps. Thank goodness I didn't have to buy one.
Soil Pipe Cutter, we called them snappers when I apprenticed as a plumber in my 20's.
The chain has a bunch of cutting wheels, you ratchet it tighter and tighter, and then "SNAP"!!
1705696756331.png
1705696803852.png

Ghaa!

View attachment 28034

View attachment 28035

Happy days!
Curious why you put the cleanout there?

Thank you Ben. Temp checked with a thermopen: View attachment 28140
92C OMG
Your eyeballs must be burning oh and the other ones :oops:

Birdsville here in outback Queensland's supposed to hit 49c today but that Fing hell man!

Like I tell people atm when they bitch about the heat hey you know people pay to have this heat when you get it for free :p

Like I tell people atm when they bitch about the heat hey you know people pay to have this heat when you get it for free
Well it is different when you can experience it for 15 mins at a time or so...
Holy crap my hand hurt holding the thermopen there to get a reading. Then I decided to shock the rocks by tossing a litre of very cold water on them. None cracked so I think that I'm good to go at more moderate temperatures.

Oh yeah it's a heated floor on the cold room side.. I didn't want anyone's toes to freeze to the floor when it's really cold outside.

I'm glad that I went with the 1" thick insulated tempered glass for the window. It's pretty cool on the cold room side compared to the hot room side. It is amazing what you can buy on the internet....

Back