First attempt biab, Questions!

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Yesterday i completed the first attempt of biab.
I had some issues.
First of all, let me say that the final amount of wort from 9.5 liters turned out to 8 liters.
The preboil gravity was 1030 but i should have 1037.
Also the gravity after boiling came out 1065 but it should be 1042.
During boiling i had some overboil times so the wort overflow a litle bit.

Αt the end I realize that there is a fair amount of hops left on the walls of the pot as well as on the lid! (see pictures) What is your opinion?I used US-05 Dry Yeast and the recipe says to ferment 16-18 degrees, which seems low to me!
An domething last!
The recipe says ''30g (1 oz) Cascade in the whirlpool'' what is this meaning exactly? I need to add the hoops at 0 min befor i start to cooling the wort or after?

Theanks!!!

Attachments

• 417599478_1768461626993385_4924903533526344341_n.jpg
    417599478_1768461626993385_4924903533526344341_n.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 418358243_395870532893337_2892971838807327012_n.jpg
    418358243_395870532893337_2892971838807327012_n.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 417630690_1512428249602853_5262721761646504401_n.jpg
    417630690_1512428249602853_5262721761646504401_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 41
Sounds like you boiled it a bit too hard. What are you using to boil with? Boil overs can happen, but you just need it to be a nice roiling boil, nothing more.

It is normal to lose water during boil. as far as the gravity is concerned, the wort will concentrate as water is lost. if your gravity is too high, just add more water until it is where your target gravity is supposed to be.

Yes, whirlpool means to add hops right before cooling.

Sounds like you boiled it a bit too hard. What are you using to boil with? Boil overs can happen, but you just need it to be a nice roiling boil, nothing more.

It is normal to lose water during boil. as far as the gravity is concerned, the wort will concentrate as water is lost. if your gravity is too high, just add more water until it is where your target gravity is supposed to be.

Yes, whirlpool means to add hops right before cooling.
I use 2 different systems.
I made a custom heating coil stainless steel connected to a thermostat to control the temperature of mash.
But at boil i use also the kitchens oven so sometimes i lost the calculation!
I have already started the fermentation process I can't ad now any water.
How is this going to effect the beer?
Strong hoops taste?
Bigger alcohol?
Bad taste?

Also what's your opinion for fermentation temperature?

S-05 68F/20C
I lose a gallon of liquid in the bag for 5 gallons batches. I start with 8 gallons. Boil with 7 gallons. transfer with 6 gallons, end up with 5-5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Squeeze the shit out of the bag. I have a pulley on a ladder to hoist the bag and the liquid up from the kettle. I suspend the bag over the kettle, let it drip. While still suspended, I squeeze (with safety gloves on) as much liquid as I can out of the bag. If you can't do that, get a grill grate, set it on top of the kettle, put the bag on the grate, and then squeeze the shit out of it (with gloves). That will fix a few OG issues. Sent your software efficiency in the 60s for plain jane BIAB until you get a better understanding too.
I have a 16 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches. A big boil makes a BIG hot break. I know that thanks to the Blichmann Burner.
Whirlpool for a BIABer: When the wort chiller is in the kettle and you are stirring coming from 212F down to about 78F.
I try to use my plastic spoon during the boil to get some of the hops off the kettle walls. There should be none on the lid since the lid should not be used during the boil.

Last edited:
I use 2 different systems.
I made a custom heating coil stainless steel connected to a thermostat to control the temperature of mash.
But at boil i use also the kitchens oven so sometimes i lost the calculation!
I have already started the fermentation process I can't ad now any water.
How is this going to effect the beer?
Strong hoops taste?
Bigger alcohol?
Bad taste?
Depends on how far along you are. If active fermentation hasn't started, you could add water. But I wouldn't worry about it. Higher starting gravity will just have higher ABV.

Depends on how far along you are. If active fermentation hasn't started, you could add water. But I wouldn't worry about it. Higher starting gravity will just have higher ABV.
Theanks for the advice,
It's really helpful
Fermentation seems to starting now very slowly, I'm on 17 Celsius now.
So I'm waiting a higher alcohol and more intense flavour of hoops?
Also tel me your opinion for the temperature, should i follow the recipe instructions which is 16-18 Celsius (60-64 farenite) or give it some hot? I have temperature control system i can adjust.

S-05 68F/20C
I lose a gallon of liquid in the bag for 5 gallons batches. I start with 8 gallons. Boil with 7 gallons. transfer with 6 gallons, end up with 5-5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Squeeze the shit out of the bag. I have a pulley on a ladder to hoist the bag and the liquid up from the kettle. I suspend the bag over the kettle, let it drip. While still suspended, I squeeze (with safety gloves on) as much liquid as I can out of the bag. If you can't do that, get a grill grate, set it on top of the kettle, put the bag on the grate, and then squeeze the shit out of it (with gloves). That will fix a few OG issues. Sent your software efficiency in the 60s for plain jane BIAB until you get a better understanding too.
I have a 16 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches. A big boil makes a BIG hot break. I know that thanks to the Blichmann Burner.
Whirlpool for a BIABer: When the wort chiller is in the kettle and you are stirring coming from 212F down to about 78F.
I try to use my plastic spoon during the boil to get some of the hops off the kettle walls. There should be none on the lid since the lid should not be used during the boil.
You thrown the hoops again in the wort?

Theanks for the advice,
It's really helpful
Also tel me your opinion for the temperature, should i follow the recipe instructions which is 16-18 Celsius (60-64 farenite) or give it some hot? I have temperature control system i can adjust.
I would raise temp a couple degrees. Us05 works really well at 68F

I throw directly in the boil/and/or whirlpool. No spider, no nothing, just throw them in at whatever intervals you set up to get the IBUS you want.
I normally do a 60 minute, sometimes a 10 minute addition too, depending on the beer. I like to do bittering hops because I normally make more traditional beers vs the crazy 2 billion IBU Quintuple IPA LOL.

Theanks for the advice,
It's really helpful
16 C will work, a tad slower, but less yeast byproducts. 20 C will be faster, but may (!) encourage other flavors - esters for example. These are not bad things, depends on what you want. Even at 20 it will be minimal at most, as us05 is a fairly clean yeast.

I was going to say that too about being clean. S04 you might want to drop a degree or two below 68, but S05 works great in that range. Also, I never got a lot of krausen out of 05. It attenuated well, but not a lot of krausen. You should see some activity, but it won't go crazy. Now, what I am currently brewing is another story. I could here it bubbling into a growler from a blow off tube inside the refrigerator as soon as I walked into the garage. Monestary yeast is NUTS!

S-05 68F/20C
I do BIAB similar to you. I got a grate, put it on the kettle, and squeeze the bag wearing rubber gloves. I do some sparging, rinsing and re-squeezing the bag a couple of times. I generally brew 10l batches, so my bag of grain is not huge or unwieldly. My efficiency seems good.

S-05 68F/20C
I made a cider press :cool:
20221217_115203.jpg

I do BIAB similar to you. I got a grate, put it on the kettle, and squeeze the bag wearing rubber gloves. I do some sparging, rinsing and re-squeezing the bag a couple of times. I generally brew 10l batches, so my bag of grain is not huge or unwieldly. My efficiency seems good.
For whatever reason, mine isn't. For $2 or less for a pound of grain at my level, I gave up caring as it is consistantly not efficient, therefore predictable. With the prices of buying groceries at Publix right now, that pound of grain is about 1/5 lb of decent hamburger.

You'll have to brew a couple of times to get your system dialled in.
Everyone has different boil off, grain absorption, efficiency etc figures.

It seems you boiled off an enormous amount going from 1.030 to 1.065!
That would be more than 50% of your liquid after mash
How did you measure? Did you stir properly, corrected measurement for temperature?

Hops shouldn't be on the lid. I leave the lid on half, to help with the boil (gas stove set up)

But you will make beer. Just stronger.
It will be higher in IBU, but also higher in alcohol so it won't necessarily taste more bitter.
Just let ig go ;)

Welcome to Brewers Friend, be sure and come back here to tell us how this turns out. Brewing is essentially cooking, you can change ingredients, temperatures, process, and many other things to take what you have, make adjustments, and try it again. A good plan would be to brew this one over and over again until you A) get it the way you want it, and B) it turns out the same every time
Good luck!
Oh, and I agree with the other folks, I would warm it up to around 20C / 68F

Hello everyone!!
Day 4 today (3,5) the gravity is 1030, the taste is amazing!!
Everything looks working great!
Fermentation at 18-19 Celsius (i have temperature control system)

First day wen i took the gravity measure the wort i use was to dirty, with to many small pieces of hoops and little gains probably.
Is this a reason to be the gravity not so accurate?
I mean, there is possibility the first gravity to be wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_124836.jpg
    IMG_20240121_124836.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22

Back