Fermentation stop to fast (2nd time 2nd bach)

but i use CRYSTAL T50 SIMPSONS, can this also give this read colour?

Today is day 5 and airlock is still active, i'm very close on target gravity
Target 1013
i'm now close to 1016
Sould i dry hoop now?
On sierra nevada recipe there is no mention on fermentntion days

If you got airlock activity, it means your fermenter doesn't leak :)
Airlock can also move because of pressure change (weather).
SG measurements are the way to go.
Timing is always an estimate, but err on longer rather than shorter. Even when airlick activity stops, the beer is still developing. It's a living thing.

Mostly though, count on 2-3 weeks in fermenter (high SG beers longer, kveik can be shorter, but 2 weeks wont do it any harm)

Enjoy
Hope we'll soon see pictures of you enjoying your beer :)

If you got airlock activity, it means your fermenter doesn't leak :)
Airlock can also move because of pressure change (weather).
SG measurements are the way to go.
Timing is always an estimate, but err on longer rather than shorter. Even when airlick activity stops, the beer is still developing. It's a living thing.

Mostly though, count on 2-3 weeks in fermenter (high SG beers longer, kveik can be shorter, but 2 weeks wont do it any harm)

Enjoy
Hope we'll soon see pictures of you enjoying your beer :)
So, i'm leaving it as it is, and i will dry hoop at day 10 (for 4 days dry hoop)

So, i'm leaving it as it is, and i will dry hoop at day 10 (for 4 days dry hoop)
I'm not good with dry hopping. Only did it once, so wait for the others to chime in please

I'm not good with dry hopping. Only did it once, so wait for the others to chime in please
i forgot to ad the wilrpool hoops! so i wil not skip dry hoop for now,
btw thats my gravity data, it's a custom excel i made
fer.jpg

How are you getting your daily gravity readings?

Re dry hopping, I like to dry hop while there is still some fermentation taking place.
This does a couple of things.
One, the Co2 coming out of the beer will help to push any oxygen that may have come in with the hops.
Two, the Co2 coming out of the beer tends to keep the hops floating on the top, they will fall out later after fermentation is done, improving aroma uptake by the beer.

I have found that adding hops (or hoops as you like to call them :D ), too early in fermentation however has the opposite effect on aroma uptake.

How are you getting your daily gravity readings?

Re dry hopping, I like to dry hop while there is still some fermentation taking place.
This does a couple of things.
One, the Co2 coming out of the beer will help to push any oxygen that may have come in with the hops.
Two, the Co2 coming out of the beer tends to keep the hops floating on the top, they will fall out later after fermentation is done, improving aroma uptake by the beer.

I have found that adding hops (or hoops as you like to call them :D ), too early in fermentation however has the opposite effect on aroma uptake.
I use this for measuring gravity.
So what is your suggestion? Put them last days of fermentation as the airlock is still active?
IMG_20240302_170218.jpg

I usually just wait until I an sure fermentation is done, then dry hop 2-3 days and package

I use this for measuring gravity.
So what is your suggestion? Put them last days of fermentation as the airlock is still active?
View attachment 28732
please tell me that you aren't adding the sample back into the fermenter each time
taking samples every day is not necessary, and actually a waste, I would leave it as @Minbari says.
take a sample when it is done, the yeast will do what they do with or without you checking it every day

please tell me that you aren't adding the sample back into the fermenter each time
taking samples every day is not necessary, and actually a waste, I would leave it as @Minbari says.
take a sample when it is done, the yeast will do what they do with or without you checking it every day
Ofcours no, I just drink half of it, the rest i throw

Fk!
i just realize that i forget to add the cascade last step at wilrpool.. Was 33,3% of hoops.
now what???
Glad I'm not the only one! :) In my last brew, I forgot to add 3 oz of dry hops. I didn't realize it until bottling. There wasn't anything I could do at that time so I just kept going. While the beer didn't turn out as I intended, it still tasted very good. So you can add them as a dry hop or skip them this time. You'll get good beer either way.

Last edited:
Another question on your gravity samples: How do you obtain the sample for the gravity reading? Do you open the lid? Do you use a wine-thief or a measuring cup? If you take it from the fermenter spout, you are probably ok. But if you are opening the lid every day and dipping something into the wort to extract the sample, then that is likely the cause of your infections. Every time you open the fermenter, you increase the risk of some wild yeast or bacteria floating into your fermenter and spoiling the batch. I only open the fermenter at bottling time. I would like to know what the daily gravity reading is but, I just don't want to accept the risk to find out.

Another question on your gravity samples: How do you obtain the sample for the gravity reading? Do you open the lid? Do you use a wine-thief or a measuring cup? If you take it from the fermenter spout, you are probably ok. But if you are opening the lid every day and dipping something into the wort to extract the sample, then that is likely the cause of your infections. Every time you open the fermenter, you increase the risk of some wild yeast or bacteria floating into your fermenter and spoiling the batch. I only open the fermenter at bottling time. I would like to know what the daily gravity reading is but, I just don't want to accept the risk to find out.
There is a plastic valve so I use this for samples and bottling

There is a plastic valve so I use this for samples and bottling
Make sure you sanitize the hell out of that thing when you empty it. That plastic tap could also cause infection if not cleaned and sanitized correctly. Best advice is to just leave it alone for two weeks. Look at it, but dont touch it until you keg it. If you sanitized correctly, mashed correctly, and fermented at the right temperature, you will have beer. Might as well wait until it tastes like it is supposed to.

It is fun to sample each day, but each sample also gives the chance for trouble, like infection. Stop and wait until it stops bubbling, wait more, then package it.

I want to ask about whirlpool,
After boiling i have hoops and grain remaining (very very small pieces) like dust
Those pieces remain in the fermenter during the fermentation period,
Use of whirlpool remove those dust right?
So no use of whirlpool can product a different taste of beer if I had used?

I want to ask about whirlpool,
After boiling i have hoops and grain remaining (very very small pieces) like dust
Those pieces remain in the fermenter during the fermentation period,
Use of whirlpool remove those dust right?
So no use of whirlpool can product a different taste of beer if I had used?
Some most likely the larger chunks.
That fine dust stuff will be transferred to fermenter where it will settle out with the yeast and trub with a nice long cold crash.

Some most likely the larger chunks.
That fine dust stuff will be transferred to fermenter where it will settle out with the yeast and trub with a nice long cold crash.
I know but can this effect the taste?
Why the brewery use wilrpoor then

I know but can this effect the taste?
Why the brewery use wilrpoor then
Not sure.

I used to just pour the lot into the fermenter trub hops the lot! I made pretty good beer then I thought.

Nowadays I bag the hops in a hop sock when boiling and WPling and dry hopping.

I can't say it's made any noticeable difference.

Dude I wouldn't sweat it.

Cleaning and sanitation are bigger things to worry about.

Back