Fermentation stop to fast (2nd time 2nd bach)

Good Evening
Today I keg the beer.
I was impressed by the huge amount of mud I had.
I counted the beer I threw and saw that it was 5 liters (9 in total)
I had a lot of leftovers
Indeed, many of them went into the barrel.
obviously wanted better cooling to clean.
Do I have to do something after boiling so that I don't have large amounts of sludge in the wort?

Don't drain the sludge to the fermenter from the kettle. If it isn't in the fermenter, it isn't in the keg.

Don't drain the sludge to the fermenter from the kettle. If it isn't in the fermenter, it isn't in the keg.
Yes but how?
I use just a pot can't separate
After boiling i just take the pot to my hands and throwing wort in to fermentation tank

Yes but how?
I use just a pot can't separate
After boiling i just take the pot to my hands and throwing wort in to fermentation tank
That is just trub in fermenter. Use a racking arm or spigot to fill your bottles. Don't move the fermentor if you can. It stirs that stuff up

The kettle should have a ball valve and a spigot on the bottom to drain it. I put my fermenter on the ground under the kettle which sits on a cart above, use a funnel on the fermenter opening, and drain through the spigot. The last of the kettle has the trub in it, and most of it doesn't make it into the fermenter. Some of it does. Draining this way also creates oxygen for the yeast.

The sludge (trub) going into the fermenter is not going to harm the beer.
Many people add the full contents of the kettle into the fermenter.
I would only be concerned about it if you have a small fermenter and need the extra space.

I would only be concerned about it if you have a small fermenter and need the extra space.
my batches are small, 8-10 liters,is sad to trow away 50% of my beer!

maybe cold crush is necessary after all, last days was hot here, 15-20 celsius so thats was my cold crush LoL

my batches are small, 8-10 liters,is sad to trow away 50% of my beer!
Not sure why you are throwing it away. There is no way you have 10 liters of sludge.

Let it settle for 2 weeks after fermentation is done. Most of that will settle out. Even without a cold crash. Cold crash speeds up the process, but it will happen without it.

15-20 c during the day here is called January LOL. Hot?? LMAO. Hot is August when it is 97F and 80% humidity. Now, if you have a garage refrigerator and it is that damn August hot, it is a wonderful time to make a Saison.

Last edited:
@Mastoras007
I am not sure of your set-up but you should be able to rack off the yeast (your "mud" is mostly flocced out yeast) into the keg via the spigot at the bottom of you fermenter (if you have one) or you can use a racking cane:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/easy-siphon-38-inch.html

You don't necessarily have to "cold crash" - the more important thing is to get your fermenter into place for racking (transfering) to the keg a few hours in advance of racking - that way everything can settle back out to the bottom.

My guess is you kicked it all up attempting to transfer to the keg and that is why you ended up throwing some away.

You should be able to get 90% or more of your finished product into the keg IF you use the right tools and allow things to settle out before transfering.

As for pre-fermentation:
When you are done with the boil and you move wort to the fermenter you can try to do a whirlpool to get it all to the center so you can drain away from it (if you have a spigot), or you can dump it through a strainer to keep the "trub" from getting into the fermenter - I recommend a couple strainers as they clog up with hops pretty quick - you can then set it over a separate pot while you strain through another and then keep rotating through them. Running through strainers into your fermenter will also help introduce "some" oxygen - a good thing if the beer is at/near yeast pitching temps. Trying to keep the trub out of the fermenter will help ensure your "mud" is more yeast than anything else. But again, it isn't necessary.

This is exactly what I have been doing for years.

I also use a double-mesh strainer when draining from kettle to fermenter. This filters our much of the hop debris but, most of the other trub makes it into the fermenter. It's not really needed with low-hopped beers, because a few hops in the fermenter won't take up too much volume in the fermenter.

I do small batches (10 litre) and I generally dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter.
When kegging or bottling, I throw away maybe 1 litre. Generally less.
Definitely not 50% and I do not cold crash.
So....
Thinking
Your beer wasnt finished yet, trub not yet settled to a "solid" mass.
Don't bottle/keg too soon.
Looking at a time frame: 2-3 week in fermenter before bottling. Minimum 1 week in bottle for carbonation.
Couple days in fridge before drinking

I do small batches (10 litre) and I generally dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter.
When kegging or bottling, I throw away maybe 1 litre. Generally less.
Definitely not 50% and I do not cold crash.
So....
Thinking
Your beer wasnt finished yet, trub not yet settled to a "solid" mass.
Don't bottle/keg too soon.
Looking at a time frame: 2-3 week in fermenter before bottling. Minimum 1 week in bottle for carbonation.
Couple days in fridge before drinking
no wasn't a solid mass everything was floating but ton to everywere, haf was clear haf was dirty.
i was fermenting about 3 weeks!

Maybe try using Irish moss or whirlflock.
I don't.
I have not seen what you describe after 3 weeks in the fermenter.
Wouldn't it be great if someone lived nearby to come and have a look see ;)

In 3 weeks your yeast should have settled out, even the "non-floculant" ones.

Tricky.
Gonna have a beer and think about it

This was my previous batch, was Same like this, this quantity its about 4-5 liters
IMG_20240130_111923.jpg

Is this the spigot near the bottom of the bucket?
1711294150197.png

Back