Bread Thread!

image.jpg
My wife got me a proofing basket; here is my first attempt using it. The loaf released from the basket without issue. So far, so good. The loaf is now in the oven, for about an hour. I’ll post another picture showing the end result.

View attachment 12917 The end result - not nearly as much oven spring as my previous loaf, but the spiral pattern sure looks cool. I used 25 grams of spent beer grain, ground to flour, as well as 20 grams of 6-row barley, also ground to flour. This smells so good.
I love my bannetons.... Make an interesting looking loaf!

Yeah I always use the cloath cover will have to try it without.
Tasty looking loaf herm.

Last sourdough yesterday was a bit of a flop this heat is messing with my proofing it was soooooo sticky I think I'll drop the amount of starter I add.

Also baking back in the Q now

Yeah I always use the cloath cover will have to try it without.
Tasty looking loaf herm.

Last sourdough yesterday was a bit of a flop this heat is messing with my proofing it was soooooo sticky I think I'll drop the amount of starter I add.

Also baking back in the Q now
Why not keep the same amount of starter, but drop some of the water?

Why not keep the same amount of starter, but drop some of the water?
Well I think it over proofed from the rise in overnight temperatures so by reducing the starter inoculation I'll hopefully be able to prolong the rise.

It was heaps sticky I just couldn't shape the dam thing. The rye flour didnt help mu cause either.
Yes if dropping the starter amount dont work I'll drop hydration to 70%

I'm getting better at handing the dough. 75% hydration, 90% so flour, 10% wheat. I think I need to continue neglecting my starter. It's a beast!
View attachment 12977
Nice crust! Great spring!
Yeah thats my hydration level I do slightly higher whole wheat or rye at ~20% but that's a preference thing. Sorta like crystal malt in brewing ha.

Nice crust! Great spring!
Yeah thats my hydration level I do slightly higher whole wheat or rye at ~20% but that's a preference thing. Sorta like crystal malt in brewing ha.
I don't eat a whole lot of bread but I prefer more wheat or rye also but being the minority, I'm usually out voted. I'm just the baker lol. I do it because it's fun and interesting.

Really nice. Fed my starter earlier today (no reminder needed :))and will be doing a loaf in a couple of days. Leaving the starter out and feeding for a few days so the wife can do some rolls for Thanksgiving super.

I don't eat a whole lot of bread but I prefer more wheat or rye also but being the minority, I'm usually out voted. I'm just the baker lol. I do it because it's fun and interesting.
Met a lady last week trying out sourdough bread (the bags of flour on her kitchen bench were a giveaway).
I asked her how shes was going with it. She said oh the bread is soo dense.
I asked what her bread mix was.
She is doing 100% whole wheat loaves
I said that's why their so dence try 20% whole wheat and 80% plain flour itll be a whole different loaf and your kids will actually eat it now.

Back