Bread Thread!

Nice looking loaf and a reminder to get my starter out and feed it. Just finished off my last loaf.
You say that every time Bob lol!
Lucky for this thread or your starter would never get fed:D:p!
@Herm_brews bloody beautiful mate what a stunner of a loaf.

This is what's left if the evenings loaf went well with bangers and mash with plenty of gravy num nums
20201109_201300.jpg

You say that every time Bob lol!
Lucky for this thread or your starter would never get fed:D:p!
@Herm_brews bloody beautiful mate what a stunner of a loaf.

This is what's left if the evenings loaf went well with bangers and mash with plenty of gravy num numsView attachment 12811

Looks good Ben.

Some day you'll get old and forgetful too. One of the pitfalls of living too long :)

Every time I see or hear chia seeds, I think back to seeing an Obama Chia statuette. Joked saying you put the seed on his head, add a couple drops of food dye, some water, and it turns into Dennis Rodman :)

That's a damn fine loaf! Nice!
It's been months since I've fed my starter. Almost seems fitting to pull it out again and get it going seeing as how covid is running wild.

Thanks! Tastes good too.
May as well. Looks like you'll have a lot of time on your hands for a couple of weeks. Hope you fare well.

So, starters. Mine has a layer of the dark hooch on top. I've read in the past but can't remember which. Stir it in or pour it off?

Would think it's protecting the starter like beer on top of yeast slurry protects it. Probably outlived its usefulness if you're going to feed the starter. I've stirred it back in with no ill effects. Thinking whichever you're comfortable with would be just fine.

So, starters. Mine has a layer of the dark hooch on top. I've read in the past but can't remember which. Stir it in or pour it off?
Your choice. Stirring in might add some character. Pouring off might yield a “cleaner” starter. Smell and taste a tiny bit, see what it tells you. I keep the hooch.

I had 2 starters in the fridge and ended mixing the hooch back in and combining the starters. Took what I needed and fed the starter. The smell was nice so hopefully the starter is still kicking.
PXL_20201114_134531391.jpg

Here we are after almost 12 hours. It's still alive, but not as vigorous as it was. I'm going to feed it again overnight and possibly give it a go. We did have some colder temps today. There's hope at least!
View attachment 12893
Yep that looks plenty viable one more feed should do.

Here we are after almost 12 hours. It's still alive, but not as vigorous as it was. I'm going to feed it again overnight and possibly give it a go. We did have some colder temps today. There's hope at least!

I took a hint from @Herm_brews with his 'back of the fridge find' starter that he resurrected and I'm not feeding as often ( bi-monthly as opposed to weekly) and it's working out fine. I am also planning out when I do a sourdough so I can pull it out a couple days ahead to feed and get the old girl ready for work. Now I gotta figure out how to use the kveik slurry I made for baking!

Oh yeah...also in bread world...Wifey is in prep mode for Thanksgiving so a batch of baguettes was made with a 1/2 cup of spent mash flour subbed in to the mix for some extra crusty umph to the stuffing. It's going to be a trying week to just watch those lovely loaves become dried out but the payoff is how good that stuffing is gonna be! It ain't Shake and Bake ...but I can truly say " And I helped"! *

*generational reference ....look it up on You Tube Snowflake!

Last edited:

Back