Bread Thread!

Wow, what a long, but beautiful drive. After a sleepless night, got on the road at 3:30am. Glad we didn’t leave earlier, as we could have been involved in a fuel tanker jack knife and spill that closed Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles. After 14.5 hours, we arrived in Bend, and got our tired butts into our Airbnb lodging. Sipping an Omme Gang Three Philosophers Bourbon Barrel Ale. Got sourdough ready to toast, while homemade soup heats on the stove. Tomorrow, we set out to find beer and good cheer.
Sounds like good times ahead for you herm

Heres my rye bake for this eve really attacked it with the flour
20201019_183922.jpg

Pumpkin soup is cooking this will pair well with it cant wait!

Have a sourdough ferment in the fridge that'll be ready to bake in a couple of hours. Four rounds of folding, and really glutinous, so hoping for some nice air pockets and good texture. Nice that the weather has cooled down and using the oven is a positive thing. Good idea @Herm_brews. Think I'll put on a pot of lentils to enjoy over the next few cooler days.

Just pulled the loaf out of the oven. Not quite the spring I hoped for, but definitely passable. Got the lentils on with some vegetable stock the wife just canned and meat off the carcass of a chicken I cooked on the Traeger Friday. Added some celery, onions and a good dose of SPG.
Looks like a healthy supper tonight.
Loaf.jpg

Just pulled the loaf out of the oven. Not quite the spring I hoped for, but definitely passable. Got the lentils on with some vegetable stock the wife just canned and meat off the carcass of a chicken I cooked on the Traeger Friday. Added some celery, onions and a good dose of SPG.
View attachment 12474
Aye its what's on the inside that counts ;)

View attachment 12474
Good job Bob! I always make my own broth for soups - chicken carcass, carrots, celery and onion, pressure cooked in our Instant Pot.

Good job Bob! I always make my own broth for soups - chicken carcass, carrots, celery and onion, pressure cooked in our Instant Pot.
I've tried this a time or two all day in the slow cooker and never had no luck well it dont taste great anyhow something I'm doing wrong maybe.

Instant Pot pressure cooker is the key. I put ingredients noted above with an appropriate amount of water, some peppercorns, a bay leaf and kosher salt, then cook at high pressure for 1 hour. Good, consistent broth for making soups or poaching liquid.

Home from Bend, it’s time to make more bread. My starter is fed, now I’m waiting for it to double in size before mixing it up into a loaf.
Hey I viewed this last night beer sourdough bread !
He made pilsner IPA Brown Ale and Imperial Stout based breads pretty cool.

image.jpg
With hills on fire to the north and southeast of us, I was hesitant to bake this morning. However, for the time being we are not in danger, so I present my latest sourdough round. I shaped this one better than the last 2.

Hey I viewed this last night beer sourdough bread !
He made pilsner IPA Brown Ale and Imperial Stout based breads pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing, Ben. Those breads all looked amazing!
I like the experiments/tutorials this guy produces.

Back