Bread Thread!

Just shaped and put in the pan to proof. It's sourdough done with an overnight poolish. Thought of using the Dutch oven, but didn't want the oven on for that long, Still pretty warm in the afternoons. Can't wait for Winter to do some serious baking when the extra heat is a good thing.
Bread.jpg

Made some garlic bread with a couple slices and had it with shrimp & chicken left over from last night. Gumbo always better when reheated.

You guys are making me jealous. Taking my starter out now for a bake later in the week. Cooled off a bit, so will be doing it in the dutch oven.

I think this is the best oven spring that I have ever achieved. This is my standard KAF No Knead Sourdough, this time using 2 teaspoons of US 6-row malted barley, ground to a powder in place of diastatic powder. There were no spent beer grains in this iteration, at the request of my wife.

What does the wife not like about the SBG's? Too dry or too strong?
She is not a fan of the grain husks. That might have something to do with her father (and some of his sisters) suffering from diriticulitus. She didn’t object to the color or flavor, just the fibrous nature of the bread. I just enjoyed a couple slices of the “offending” loaf this morning, covered with smashed avocado - absolutely delicious. For me, the grainier, the better.

Back