Bread Thread!

I have sourdough fermenting in the fridge for a bake tomorrow night. All the previous batches I have omitted the diastatic malt powder called for by the recipe. This batch I added a couple teaspoons of DME; we’ll see what happens. A friend tried the same recipe and subbed Ovaltine for the diastatic malt powder, with good results.

I have sourdough fermenting in the fridge for a bake tomorrow night. All the previous batches I have omitted the diastatic malt powder called for by the recipe. This batch I added a couple teaspoons of DME; we’ll see what happens. A friend tried the same recipe and subbed Ovaltine for the diastatic malt powder, with good results.
You'll get better browning due to the sugars released by the diastatic powder. Does Ovaltine have diastatic enzymes in it?

image.jpg
Here is a fresh one!
My usual KAF No Knead Sourdough, but this time I included 2 teaspoons of DME (the recipe calls for diastatic malt powder, which translates reasonably to DME). I forgot to dust with flour before baking - oh well.

View attachment 11880 Here is a fresh one!
My usual KAF No Knead Sourdough, but this time I included 2 teaspoons of DME (the recipe calls for diastatic malt powder, which translates reasonably to DME). I forgot to dust with flour before baking - oh well.
Oh now that looks like some crunchy goodness right there Herm mmm mmmm I can almost smell it from here.

View attachment 11880 Here is a fresh one!
Not exactly: DME has been boiled and has no diastatic powder. But it looks like your bread browned well enough, perhaps the sugar in the DME was enough for the browning.

I don't see why @Herm_brews you can't use some malted wheat or barley that's Diastatic malt you'll just need to mill it down first.

I'd use wheat as it's got no husk.

Here's my morning bake super happy with this turnout.View attachment 11892
You can use it with the husks. As a replacement for diastatic powder you'll want to grind it to flour so the husks will be just a bit of fiber.

So today, while buying grains at lhbs for brewing tomorrow, I also picked up 8 ounces of US 6-row to use as diastatic malt powder in my favored sourdough bread recipe. The grains are whole, and I’ll blast them in a spice grinder, as needed. I have a feeling this could be a good thing, especially with some spent beer grains included for roughage and texture.

Back