alcohol ban! need advice please

thank you,
i really appreciate your guys help,thanks again

Here. I made you a very basic recipe to play around with. Please take note of all the sizes... For instance 16L boil volume and the fact there is no sparge... These numbers are based on my typical losses to grain and hop absorption as well as my boil off rate. Yours may differ.

Adjust everything and anything as you see fit! - Others please take a peak and comment on anything I may have goofed - I don't typically use metric or do less than 20L batches. I also HAVEN'T (edit - sorry) BIAB'd in a while! lol :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1024668/rudi-s-first-

i was looking over the recipe you made me and seen that ive learned quite a bit over the past few days,
i'd appreciate if you could correct me with my assumptions when reading it:

1:i start off with 10l of water that i heat up to 66celcius.

2:i mash(biab) my grains for 60 mins.No sparge.

3:i am then left with approx 9litres of mash.

4:i boil this mash this mash for 60mins and end with my final volume of 4 litres.

5:this 4litres of wort is then transferred to my fermenter.

Am i correct?

Here. I made you a very basic recipe to play around with. Please take note of all the sizes... For instance 16L boil volume and the fact there is no sparge... These numbers are based on my typical losses to grain and hop absorption as well as my boil off rate. Yours may differ.

Adjust everything and anything as you see fit! - Others please take a peak and comment on anything I may have goofed - I don't typically use metric or do less than 20L batches. I also HAVEN'T (edit - sorry) BIAB'd in a while! lol :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1024668/rudi-s-first-

i was looking over the recipe you made me and seen that ive learned quite a bit over the past few days,

1:i start off with 10l of water that i heat up to 66celcius.or i should have more to compensate for the loss while reaching that temp?

4:i boil this mash this mash for 60mins and end with my final volume of 4 litres.

Am i correct?

1:i start off with 10l of water that i heat up to 66celcius.or i should have more to compensate for the loss while reaching that temp?

Am i correct?

One step that's not listed (though I'm sure you are doing but just didn't list it) is to remove the grain bag in step #3. Also, you say "boil this mash" in step #4. After you remove the grains, the liquid is called "wort". It remains "wort" until fermentation begins, then it's "beer"! Glad to hear this batch is going as planned!

Am i correct?
Keeping in mind what barbarian brewer stated, yes, your assumptions are correct.

You shouldn't have much loss heating up but the grains themselves will absorb water (hence, 9litres for boil).
Keep an eye on how much you lose to absorption from grains and add it/correct it in your equipment profile.... Same with boil off rate. This will help dial in starting numbers.

Yep if you full volume mash Biab 10lt I'm not sure on your grain weight but 1kg grain absorbs roughly 1lt mash. Finding your boil off rate over the hour is key then to finding right pre boil volume to get your fermentor volume and this isn't taking into consideration hop absorbtion or as mentioned dead space.

One way to get a pretty close example would be just do an hour long water boil on a known volume rack to fermentor note Literidge and then pour out what's left behind in kettle hoses into graduated bucket to find what your dead space losses are.

Pretty sure you can count on 1L per Kg for grain absorption. Boil off is going to be somewhere between 4-5 liters/hour

My absorption is way lower than 1l/kg with my BIAB setup. When I had it set to 1 I ended up with a lot more liquid than I expected.

Still dialing in my numbers but I'm wondering if that doesn't factor in draining or squeezing the bag?

Hi everyone, thought I'd give a update on my very first batch that I messed up.
It fermented 5days.

Curiosity got the better of me yesterday afternoon.

I added 3grams of sugar to a 500ml bottle and filled it with my first batch.
Left it overnight and popped it into the fridge two hours ago.

You guys are freaking geniuses!

It tasted like beer!
Even had some carbonation,can't wait to taste it by Sunday!

I am amazed and proud and humbled at the same time.

Thanks so much guys,if this one taste like this I can only imagine how my last batch is gonna be.

Great stuff,I owe you guys a beer!

I'll accept the virtual beer: Hint: One three-gram sugar cube is enough to carbonate 500 ml to about 2.5 volumes.

i used normal table sugar,is that too much?
Normal table sugar or turbinado (raw sugar) is what I always use. You can use the Priming Sugar Calculator to see the how much of different kinds of sugar (corn sugar, table sugar, molasses, etc.) to use to reach your desired level of carbonation. When you enter the temperature of the beer, enter the highest fermentation temperature. In your specific case 3 grams looks right.

Hi everyone, thought I'd give a update on my very first batch that I messed up.
It fermented 5days.

Curiosity got the better of me yesterday afternoon.

I added 3grams of sugar to a 500ml bottle and filled it with my first batch.
Left it overnight and popped it into the fridge two hours ago.

You guys are freaking geniuses!

It tasted like beer!
Even had some carbonation,can't wait to taste it by Sunday!

I am amazed and proud and humbled at the same time.

Thanks so much guys,if this one taste like this I can only imagine how my last batch is gonna be.

Great stuff,I owe you guys a beer!
So good to hear! Be sure to give us a full description taste wise and a photo (of it poured into a glass!) before you down the last bottle!

Congrats!

sugar.jpg

Congrats Mate. It's always exciting to see your work pay off.

Back