alcohol ban! need advice please

i will be mashing on a gas stove using a 10l stainless steel pot
i will be using nylon screen mesh as a brew bag
i have a 10l carboy with airlock.
ideally i would like to bottle in 2liter plastic soda bottles....
lol,no,its 30kg of grain
still trying to figure out the recipe calculator.

so my stock i could get was ;
30kg of malted crushed "golden promise"
100g of citra hops
200g ale yeast
10kg brown sugar

everything else was sold out in mad rush by everyone to buy before ban.
I see. I based everything above on a 5 gallon (20L) batch... So it would be a bit different if you are doing 10L.

I'll revisit this tonight. It sounds like you have a decent plan going forward though. Let us know if you need any help along the way.

I see. I based everything above on a 5 gallon (20L) batch... So it would be a bit different if you are doing 10L.

I'll revisit this tonight. It sounds like you have a decent plan going forward though. Let us know if you need any help along the way.
thanks buddy,judging by what you see if i were to aim for a pint(500ml) of beer with my stock ,looking for alcohol content at least 4%.
how much do u reckon i could reap?
basically ballpark figure.
really appreciate your help

With 30kg of malt, you really can brew any strength beer you want! However, the yeast do have an upper limit. After reaching that limit the the alcohol kills the yeast. The yeast package should give you the temperature and alcohol ranges. You have two options for generating a recipe. One is to create one yourself. In the recipe editor enter in your batch size. With a 10L fermenter I wouldn't go over 8L batch. After that enter in your malt, hops and yeast and play around with the amounts. The more grain you use, the higher the ABV. Hops have two things to play with: amount and boil time. I'd suggest just going simple and add 10g at 60 minutes. That will give you a moderately hoppy beer. Note the time for hops is the time left in the boil. The other option is to search for existing recipes. Enter in All Grain on the top left and on the bottom left you can enter in the ingredients you have. If you find one you like, then copy it and edit it. When editing you can scale the recipe to your batch size. That option is under recipe tools when editing.

Great, thanks for replies.
I might be getting a hydrometer soon!
One last question concerning ABV,sorry if it's stupid...
Is ABV the strength of an entire batch,say 10 litres with ABV of 5%
Then when pouring a 500ml of that batch, would that 500ml also have a content ABV of 5%.

Thanks so much for ur replies guys, really appreciate it,can't wait to get onto the recipe when I get home.

As a ballpark figure:
You should be able to get 6-7 litres of beer of any strength.
You'll need some head space in the fermenter.
Now, if you have a food safe bucket that closes properly, you could easily rig up a waterlock for it.
You might even have 15 or 20 litre water bottles standing around that can be used

Then when pouring a 500ml of that batch, would that 500ml also have a content ABV of 5%.

Thanks so much for ur replies guys, really appreciate it,can't wait to get onto the recipe when I get home.
Yes. That is exactly it. Your whole batch will have that abv content.

Here. I made you a very basic recipe to play around with. Please take note of all the sizes... For instance 16L boil volume and the fact there is no sparge... These numbers are based on my typical losses to grain and hop absorption as well as my boil off rate. Yours may differ.

Adjust everything and anything as you see fit! - Others please take a peak and comment on anything I may have goofed - I don't typically use metric or do less than 20L batches. I also HAVEN'T (edit - sorry) BIAB'd in a while! lol :)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1024668/rudi-s-first-

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, really appreciate it
Will give it a go when I get from work.
Thanks again

The ABV would apply to any volume. If the whole batch is 5% ABV then any amount taken from that batch will also be 5% ABV. The main reason for specifying ABV (Alcohol By Volume) is that there is also ABW (Alcohol By Weight). It's a different way of calculating alcohol content and will give a slightly different value. ABW is used for taxation purposes in the US.

Hi everyone,im Rudi from South Africa.
Great to be a member,thank you.

Our beloved government has once again banned alcohol,apparently due to mind boggling covid 19 issues.
i managed to get some basic brewing supplies for a beer.
im not looking for a quality beer or anything refined,just a beer that i can brew and be ready to drink in 3 to 4 days.
I know eyes are rolling...
i cant get more supplies as those shops are also closed under the law from today!

i managed to get;
Citra hops 500g
Finest pale ale golden promise grain 5kg
English high performance ale yeast *8 packs
10 liter fermenter with carboy
I understand it takes a few weeks to brew a good beer,but desparate times.....

What can i brew with these ingredients that i could drink in 4 days.

in our previous lockdown i had minimal experience in brewin g traditional african beer,no stock of ingredients as of today!,and pineapple,ginger beer with bakers yeast!
these were horrible.

please,any suggestions or advice?thank you
i will be mashing on a gas stove using a 10l stainless steel pot
i will be using nylon screen mesh as a brew bag
i have a 10l carboy with airlock.
ideally i would like to bottle in 2liter plastic soda bottles....
lol,no,its 30kg of grain
still trying to figure out the recipe calculator.

so my stock i could get was ;
30kg of malted crushed "golden promise"
100g of citra hops
200g ale yeast
10kg brown sugar

everything else was sold out in mad rush by everyone to buy before ban.

Im also a fairly new home brewer from South Africa and there are brewing supplies stores are still trading.

Send me a private message for details. regards

Ray erens

Last edited:
A dingo ate my baby! ;)
Yours TOO:eek:.

Actually real story just two years back went camping on Frazer Island heaps of Dingos on the Island. We had a little one year old in camp.

Anyhow we were all pissed fishing down the beach while the littlie was getting some shut eye back in the tent my missus was only one back there minding the child.
Well a bloody Dingo showed up snooping about looking for scraps she tried waving her arms at it, nope it wasn't backing off so she ended up grabbing a cricket bat and having a swing at it finally it got the msg to Skedattle or it'd cop a bashing:D.

Back