alcohol ban! need advice please

So just to be sure,the crushed grain that I ordered is the source of sugars,malt?
Thanks for ur replies.

Screenshot_20200714-160218.png

Crushed malt and Kviek yeast....You are all set! However, once ferment is complete, and you are bottling, that will take another couple weeks. If you keg it and have a CO2 tank, a day or two is all you need.

Yeah that malt will work, you have to just mash it. The main concern is the timeline.

Okay I'm prepared to let it finish fermenting.,give or take 7 days for that.
Is it safe to drink then , disregarding bottling, and would it at least have a alcohol content above 4%.
I understand I'm just looking for a ballpark answer at best.
I will be fermenting in a plastic tank with carboy and tap.

:confused: grain is malt once you mash;).
You've got plenty of options now man.

I'm a bit confused, Ben...
Isn't it that grain is malt after kilning, and malt is wort after mashing, or do I have something totally wrong in my mind [confused, but that is not an uncommon state of mind]

Isn't it that grain is malt after kilning, and malt is wort after mashing, or do I have something totally wrong in my mind [confused, but that is not an uncommon state of mind]
Grain is malt after sprouting and kilning; however, sometimes we refer to malt as grain. Silly linguistic thing. Wort is extracted from malt by water and the enzymatic action of the malt on its starches - not exactly malt juice! The problem is we're sometimes sloppy with our terminology. I understand the confusion.

Malted grain is what you need, and what you have in that golden promise. Malting is the process nosy describes above of sprouting and kilning.

A
Okay I'm prepared to let it finish fermenting.,give or take 7 days for that.
Is it safe to drink then , disregarding bottling, and would it at least have a alcohol content above 4%.
I understand I'm just looking for a ballpark answer at best.
I will be fermenting in a plastic tank with carboy and tap.
Any advice here please

A

Any advice here please
Yup - You will need to have the wort in the fermentor for at least 7 days. Then you will have to transfer it to a bottling bucket and add a water sugar solution (your brown sugar will work fine) for priming purposes. Once you mix in the priming sugar solution you will need to give it a gentle stir and then begin bottling.

Knowing how much sugar to add can be figured out by using the calculator on BF or another priming sugar calculator online.

Do you have a hydrometer to take gravity readings?

Also, I assume you have created your recipe on here and know how much malt you plan to use, what temperture you are going to mash at and how long. As well as how long you plan to boil, when to add your hops.... Do you have a way to chill the wort before pitching the yeast?

Dead set mate ignore what wrote.
(Malted barley )

A

Any advice here please
Taking a quick stab at it here bud....

6kg of Golden Promise mashed for 60 minutes at about 150-154...
(I assume you plan to use the BIAB method with a paint strainer....) Roughly 8 gallons of water no sparge.... Boil it down to roughly 6 - 6,5 gallons.

If you know how long you'll boil for etc. you can 20 grams citra at 60 minutes and 20 grams at 5-10 minutes for a 25-35 IBU range...

If you are unsure about how long it'll take you to boil down to the appropriate final volume then you could always add like 50+ grams at flame out and stir it up to cool it down and create a whirlpool. This will give you a less bitter more hop flavor beer.

This is a very rough outline/estimate.... None of have any idea about your equipment and how you plan to tackle this. That can make it hard to give advise...

Last edited:
Yup - You will need to have the wort in the fermentor for at least 7 days. Then you will have to transfer it to a bottling bucket and add a water sugar solution (your brown sugar will work fine) for priming purposes. Once you mix in the priming sugar solution you will need to give it a gentle stir and then begin bottling.

Knowing how much sugar to add can be figured out by using the calculator on BF or another priming sugar calculator online.

Do you have a hydrometer to take gravity readings?

Also, I assume you have created your recipe on here and know how much malt you plan to use, what temperture you are going to mash at and how long. As well as how long you plan to boil, when to add your hops.... Do you have a way to chill the wort before pitching the yeast?

I will be chilling the wort by using a ice bath.
i do have a recipe from bf,
unfortunately no hydrometer.,i'll sip one beer and trust my built in alcohol meter,lol

I will be chilling the wort by using a ice bath.
i do have a recipe from bf,
unfortunately no hydrometer.,i'll sip one beer and trust my built in alcohol meter,lol
Okay.
I still have a lot more questions...
1. How are you mashing? In a cooler? In the brew kettle with a strainer bag similar to BIAB? Or some other method.
2. Can you post the recipe you plan to use?
3. Are you bottling or kegging?
4. You mentioned that your malt is crushed... But you also stated you have 500kg... That's a lot of crushed grain... (or am I mistaken?)

Not having a hydrometer stinks but giving Kveik yeast 7 full days should suffice (Kveik folks speak up if I am wrong...

Okay.
I still have a lot more questions...
1. How are you mashing? In a cooler? In the brew kettle with a strainer bag similar to BIAB? Or some other method.
2. Can you post the recipe you plan to use?
3. Are you bottling or kegging?
4. You mentioned that your malt is crushed... But you also stated you have 500kg... That's a lot of crushed grain... (or am I mistaken?)

Not having a hydrometer stinks but giving Kveik yeast 7 full days should suffice (Kveik folks speak up if I am wrong...
i will be mashing on a gas stove using a 10l stainless steel pot
i will be using nylon screen mesh as a brew bag
i have a 10l carboy with airlock.
ideally i would like to bottle in 2liter plastic soda bottles....
lol,no,its 30kg of grain
still trying to figure out the recipe calculator.

so my stock i could get was ;
30kg of malted crushed "golden promise"
100g of citra hops
200g ale yeast
10kg brown sugar

everything else was sold out in mad rush by everyone to buy before ban.

Back