alcohol ban! need advice please

hi guys ,i dunno if is should start a new thread?

but i felt comfortable enough to start brewinf 11 liters now!
currently boiling the wort.
ill probably have hundreds of other questions,so do i post them here in this thread or a new thread?

Even started filtering my mash 4 times before boiling,lol

thanks guys

hi guys ,i dunno if is should start a new thread?

but i felt comfortable enough to start brewinf 11 liters now!
currently boiling the wort.
ill probably have hundreds of other questions,so do i post them here in this thread or a new thread?

Even started filtering my mash 4 times before boiling,lol

thanks guys
I think here is fine but you could start a new one under "recipes" thread. Probably before you start brewing though so we can help tweak the recipe and process before you start. LOL

What do you mean you started filtering your mash 4 times? As in sparging after you have done a 60 minute temperature/infusion rest? With how much water each time are you filtering?

Where feels appropriate to you is fine really. My posting history is all over the map.

When you say filtering do you mean sparging? (Pouring water over the mash)

Posting here is probably good

I think here is fine but you could start a new one under "recipes" thread. Probably before you start brewing though so we can help tweak the recipe and process before you start. LOL

What do you mean you started filtering your mash 4 times? As in sparging after you have done a 60 minute temperature/infusion rest? With how much water each time are you filtering?
I brewd in the bag,
sparged 1 times the original volume of water.

Poured the final volume through a colander(?) about 1mm square gaps to catch sediment.

Then i boiled the final volume to arolling foam point,added hops and kept it boiling for 65mins....

then i used a clean hose to siphon the top first to my fermenter and left the sediment,about a inch of it.
Was this correct?

...then i used a clean hose to siphon the top first to my fermenter and left the sediment,about a inch of it.
Was this correct?

This is one of those battlegrounds in brewing where you'll get fairly different opinions and most of them are right to some degree. Personally I like to bring some of it across to the fermentor, it provides food for the yeast.

The points above that make sense to me.

I brewd in the bag,
sparged 1 times the original volume of water.

Poured the final volume through a colander(?) about 1mm square gaps to catch sediment.

Then i boiled the final volume to arolling foam point,added hops and kept it boiling for 65mins....

then i used a clean hose to siphon the top first to my fermenter and left the sediment,about a inch of it.
Was this correct?
I see what you mean. I don't personally think there is anything wrong with it but you could easily drop the step where you run it through a colander before boiling. It would save you some time and you are already siphoning from the top after the boil anyway.

You are getting some serious brews in back to back! It is nice to have a pipeline! Brew on my friend!

This is one of those battlegrounds in brewing where you'll get fairly different opinions and most of them are right to some degree. Personally I like to bring some of it across to the fermentor, it provides food for the yeast.

The points above that make sense to me.

+1. I bring some of it over as well. Brülosophy guys refer to it as “kettle trub”.

i am bottle conditioning,hopefully for a week....

i am bottle conditioning,hopefully for a week....
You aren't actually doing anything, the yeast is bottle conditioning your beer!
What yeast was used in the batch that is bottle conditioning?

You aren't actually doing anything, the yeast is bottle conditioning your beer!
What yeast was used in the batch that is bottle conditioning?
I used kveik,pitched it at 38 celcius

For the trub in the kettle I personally don't worry about it. If I have a ton of hops in it I might leave it behind just cause they can plug my kegs later but otherwise I will happily dump the whole thing in my fermenter.

I try to leave out the majority of the kettle trub so that I can have more clean beer in the FV after the fermentation. I inevitably transfer some to the fermenter because I'm too lazy to wait for it to settle out a bit before I rack to the fermenter. It all settles out after the fermentation and I have never noticed any off flavors from it.

I never have any trouble with clear beer. But yeah if you leave it behind there is less sediment in the bottom afterward.

hi guys,so another quick update.:)
So my very first batch was fermenting for 6 days with kveik yeast.
i bottled two 3 separate liter bottles.
today is day 2 of bottle conditioning,opened one and about 30% carbonation:)
tasted like beer,had a moderate amount of fizz and slightly too bitter,
But im quite pleased.
reckon another 5 days for great carbonation!
carbonation bubbles are about 1mm size

Nice! Keep in mind, the more you do it the more comfortable you will get with it. Like anything else you get better with practice.

wow,cant believe im sitting here at home,during a alcohol ban, enjoying this real beer while my doubting work coleeagues are drinking flat pineapple "beer";)
Hahaha. I'd say send them a picture and brag about it - but then they'd be knocking at your door asking for some and you 'd have none left for yourself! Keep good tasting notes and adjust your recipe to make it a bit less bitter next batch around :)

Back