2024 1st Quarter Brew

My home brew shop doesn't have M47.
They do have M41 as well as Fermentis BE-256
Are these good yeast choices for this brew?

This is what I have put together
Can't get the Dingemans Aromatic here, I have read that Victory (biscuit) gives similar results
Bitterness is higher than Zambi's outline, but 27 IBU's is at the very low end of the scale for 26A Belgian Single
Second item on the fermentables list is Pilsen Light DME
FG seems pretty low, will have to seek some advice, do some research about how this yeast will attenuate

This is in the queue to follow the Wee Heavy that is up next

1708368921090.png

1708368891331.png

As for this community quarterly brew, I think I am going to wait until things warm up a little here in the PNW. The Belgian yeasts need a little more warmth than I can provide at this moment in my brew house, barring some miracle. But there are plans in my future to craft a fermentation temperature control box. Once that is accomplished, I will be able to brew whatever, whenever I want!

OBK has the Lallemand Abbaye yeast, I will order that, need to order some Pilsen DME from them for this too.
Thanks!

Would Special B in a small amount work in this beer?
Meaning in place of the Victory that I selected to use I'm place of the aromatic malt that I can't get...

Lallemand abbaye and M41 will both work.
Different, but will work
(I actually like M41 better than M47, but thats more for tripels)

It's a bit in between styles as I thought that would be more accesable, sort of between Belgian pale ale and Speciale Belge

I would use amber instead of aromatic

FG seems pretty normal to me.

Just wanted to say that I'm having fun seeing all those versions coming in.
Wish I could taste them all!
Hope everyone is actually enjoying :)

Here's how my Gluten Free one turned out head on this thing is Fing great!
20240309_204022.jpg

Mines more leaning towards cloves but has some subtle bannana.

I don't know if it's my one to many trips to the dentist but I sware my tongue sorta gets this numb thing going on drinking this and the back of my throat like the cloves is actually working lol.

It's a bloody good beer.

Thanks Zambi for sharing this with us.

Last edited:
Quite chuffed with the responses from everyone 'bout the Q1 beer :)
I still don't really know what I'm doing and hope I could provide enough info, but I really wanted for people to give it a try as Belgium has so many different beers and styles. And people going like "I don't like Belgian" probably never had a good one. Easy for me as I was born and raised next door, but I can imagine yhey don't travel well.

Anyway, almost time for Q2 :)

Quite chuffed with the responses from everyone 'bout the Q1 beer :)
I still don't really know what I'm doing and hope I could provide enough info, but I really wanted for people to give it a try as Belgium has so many different beers and styles. And people going like "I don't like Belgian" probably never had a good one. Easy for me as I was born and raised next door, but I can imagine yhey don't travel well.

Anyway, almost time for Q2 :)
Mine keeps getting better as it ages

Brewing this today!
Was a bit disappointed with the LHBS yesterday. They were completely out of all Pilsen malts,were expecting an order in later in the day. It's a 30 minute drive so I wasn't going to go back, so I ended up getting a Dingemans Belgian Pale Malt instead of the Dingemans Pilsen.
This beer is more about the yeast than the base malt anyway...

Brewing this today!
Was a bit disappointed with the LHBS yesterday. They were completely out of all Pilsen malts,were expecting an order in later in the day. It's a 30 minute drive so I wasn't going to go back, so I ended up getting a Dingemans Belgian Pale Malt instead of the Dingemans Pilsen.
This beer is more about the yeast than the base malt anyway...
Well right country of origin.

I'm sure 2Row pale will suit perfectly.

Back