2024 1st Quarter Brew

Reptile/terrarium heating pad ($20),m Inkbird ITC-308 controller ($50)
These are Canadian prices, probably cheaper in US.
Just tape the probe to the fermenter.
This sets you up for cooling too if you ever decide to go with a fermenting fridge.

View attachment 27967
View attachment 27965
Go with the wifi version of the inkbird. It's worth it.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to schedule this one in somewhere, I'm not a huge Belgian fan (the beer anyway), but I do like it from time to time, it will be a nice change of pace to have on tap.

Has anyone approached the water profile for this recipe? My first thought was to use a Balanced Profile, but that seems better suited to a darker shade of beer. Does Light Colored and Malty seem a better fit? Let me know what you think:)

I wish I could help you.
I'll try to find out what the Belgian books say

I wish I could help you.
I'll try to find out what the Belgian books say
After doing a bunch of searches, it looks like light colored and malty is generally acceptable given the light color (<5 SRM). But if you find better info in your Belgian books, then I can always make changes.

After doing a bunch of searches, it looks like light colored and malty is generally acceptable given the light color (<5 SRM). But if you find better info in your Belgian books, then I can always make changes.
I just looked at the recipe I'm going to brew of @Zambezi Special's beer and I'm going to use my tap water unadjusted. My water is very soft. I don't always use salt additions for my brews. Sometimes because I'm lazy and other times I want to see how the beer comes out. I know this doesn't help but my 2 cents......

I just looked at the recipe I'm going to brew of @Zambezi Special's beer and I'm going to use my tap water unadjusted. My water is very soft. I don't always use salt additions for my brews. Sometimes because I'm lazy and other times I want to see how the beer comes out. I know this doesn't help but my 2 cents......
That is OK, I have really good tap water to work with, too. My main objective in adjusting the water profile is to get the pH within the sweet spot of 5.2 - 5.6. Without adjustment, the recipe builder had the pH at ~5.8. Maybe one of these days I will learn to use acid to adjust my water, and see how a blank slate water profile turns out.

This beer will come out a light amber colour.
I don't treat my water as it is soft.
But I did find this.
The water profile mentioned is the treated water profile
Screenshot_20240130-070121.jpg

This beer will come out a light amber colour.
I don't treat my water as it is soft.
But I did find this.
The water profile mentioned is the treated water profile
View attachment 28248
Thanks for looking and providing this info. To my eyes, I would say that is the brewer’s source water profile, before any potential treatment with brewing salts. I would guess that Behandeld is a city/town/community in Belgium?
I think I like my Light Colored and Malty profile, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I will look to see what I have done with the few Belgian styles that I have brewed before.

Thanks for looking and providing this info. To my eyes, I would say that is the brewer’s source water profile, before any potential treatment with brewing salts. I would guess that Behandeld is a city/town/community in Belgium?
I think I like my Light Colored and Malty profile, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I will look to see what I have done with the few Belgian styles that I have brewed before.
Yup that looks great for pilsner well almost :) .

"Behandeld" means treated...
Like I said: the profile mentioned is the treated water. It is the water that is actually used for this type of beer!

Seeing as a lot of Belgian beer flavor comes from the yeast this seems like a great recipe for a gluten free option. Can't wait to hear how it turns out for you Ben!
Thanks gunna give it my best shot and looking forward to how the two yeasts perform too.

Also trying just mashing some unmalted rice this batch too.

I forgot to mention somewhere that Belgians are normally fairly highly carbonated.

And...
Can you all post some finished pictures here with your opinion on the end product?
For me to learn from and for prosperity ;)

I forgot to mention somewhere that Belgians are normally fairly highly carbonated.

And...
Can you all post some finished pictures here with your opinion on the end product?
For me to learn from and for prosperity ;)
I added melanoidin instead of aroma malt just because I have a huge amount by accident so its darker but yes it's very good

1707962091778.png

Back