2024 1st Quarter Brew

I'm going through my recipes today.
First thought was simple cider :)
But I won't do that.
Next idea was kveik Voss fermented at 38 oC (100 F) ....
I'll have something at the end of the day

I decided against kveik Voss...

And I am giving you a Belgian ale
I have not brewed it often, but my notes say that it needs to be brewed again.
It changes taste over time, so pls bear that in mind.

90 % Pilsner malt
5 % aroma malt (dingemans)
5 % wheat malt (simsons)

65-67 °C one step mash (I mashed around 65-66, but the idea was 67)

Styrian goldings, 60 minutes, 11.7 IBU
Styrian goldings, 10 minutes, 8.7 IBU
Saaz, 5 minutes, 2.1 IBU

Yeast: M47

OG 1.051
IBU 23
BU/GU 0.44
Est FG 1.012
ABV 5.1 %

Fermentation temperature of 20.5 oC

I bottled with 7 gr cane sugar per litre

You could use only pilsner malt and change out aroma & wheat for sugar and you would get close to a golden strong

Awesome @Zambezi Special that was a quick decision. I needed another Belgian in my life, though the fermentation temperature will be very difficult for me to achieve during Winter. That 20.5 *C (~69F) is almost 11F higher than my fermentation closet right now, but I will find a way to make it work.

You should be fine @Herm brews
The yeast is rated from 64-77 F.
It will be a little less "fruity"

Looks great. Love this choice!

Awesome @Zambezi Special that was a quick decision. I needed another Belgian in my life, though the fermentation temperature will be very difficult for me to achieve during Winter. That 20.5 *C (~69F) is almost 11F higher than my fermentation closet right now, but I will find a way to make it work.
Might it be possible to ferment just this one in a different place, a bit warmer? Or leave the closet door ajar?

Or just let it rip as is where us...

Might it be possible to ferment just this one in a different place, a bit warmer? Or leave the closet door ajar?

Or just let it rip as is where us...
We keep our home pretty cool in the Winter, with thermostat right now at 61F-63F and reliance on layers to stay warm. During the night, we just turn it off to conserve energy (and $$$). Maybe I need a fermenter warming mat or wrap for this time of year.

We keep our home pretty cool in the Winter, with thermostat right now at 61F-63F and reliance on layers to stay warm. During the night, we just turn it off to conserve energy (and $$$). Maybe I need a fermenter warming mat or wrap for this time of year.
Chuck it in a fridge or freezer with heat belt/Matt.

I've done kviek 40c in our relatively warm winters no issues

Or wrap in a blanket and put your heat belt under that just be careful of flame issues. ..

Chuck it in a fridge or freezer with heat belt/Matt.

I've done kviek 40c in our relatively warm winters no issues

Or wrap in a blanket and put your heat belt under that just be careful of flame issues. ..
But this is not a Kveik brew, and Winter is cold this far north of the equator. This Belgian brew would be a no brainer during our Summer, when indoor ambient is usually around 68F, but I want to make this relatively soon. It is my nature to worry about things, but it will be OK, and I will figure it out.

Reptile/terrarium heating pad ($20),m Inkbird ITC-308 controller ($50)
These are Canadian prices, probably cheaper in US.
Just tape the probe to the fermenter.
This sets you up for cooling too if you ever decide to go with a fermenting fridge.

1704678899916.png

1704678800587.png

During the night, we just turn it off to conserve energy (and $$$).
One thing I really miss is having a combination oil/wood furnace (in a house I was renting at the time). I could heat the whole 4 bedroom house with a little over 4 cord of wood per year. Granted, Vancouver Island isn't the coldest place on earth....but still.

Back