2024 1st Quarter Brew

But this is not a Kveik brew, and Winter is cold this far north of the equator. This Belgian brew would be a no brainer during our Summer, when indoor ambient is usually around 68F, but I want to make this relatively soon. It is my nature to worry about things, but it will be OK, and I will figure it out.
Yeah totally get that just making a point it probably can be done that's 30c above ambient outside temp and my ferm chamber is outside.

I use 60W heat belt that thing easily heated the whole freezer chamber when I used to ferment in there.

Remember freezers have kick arse insulation it works for freezing and heating things...

Cool, at my lhbs I can get Dingemans Pilsner, Aromatic and Wheat malts, making for a purely Belgian grain bill. If I were to drop the Aromatic and Wheat, what kind of Belgian Kandy Syrup would be a good alternative? Or would cane sugar be better?

Just sugar is fine.
The Dutch and Belgium homebrew forums are pretty united in saying that kandij (candy) sugar is not necessary.
Some will put the sugar in towards the end of the boil, some prefer a bit later, after krausen. Theory is that the yeast deals with the more difficult sugars first.
Just make sure you keep track of the alcohol tolerance of this yeast . I didn't check expected abv with sugar instead of wheat & aromatic.
You could use M41 as well.

Or do a split batch. 1 with M47, one with M41. Same grain bill.
With Belgium's, most of the flavour comes from the yeast

I have the "wife's hairdryer" method. A few times a day go out to the garage and run the hairdryer in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes then close it back up. I am going to use WLP 500 for my next beer. The yeast might me ok with the temps I am going to give it, but if not, I have permission to use the hairdryer:)
What kind of liquid is that M47 close to? Would it be like a WLP 550?

WB 06 is quite a different one.
But I figure any Belgian Abbey yeast will do fine.
I've never used a liquid yeast so cant help from experience

I have my supplies ordered, will be the next brew, I might be using LalBrew Abbaye Belgian yeast, the characteristics are interesting

LalBrew Abbaye™ is an ale yeast of Belgian origin. Selected for its ability to ferment Belgian style beers ranging from low to high alcohol, LalBrew Abbaye™ produces the spiciness and fruitiness typical of Belgian and Trappist style ales. When fermented at higher temperatures, typical flavors and aromas include tropical, spicy and banana. At lower temperatures, LalBrew Abbaye™ produces darker fruit aromas and flavors of raisin, date, and fig. Traditional styles brewed with this yeast include but are not limited to Belgian White, Belgian Blonde, Belgian Golden, Dubbel, Tripel, and Quad.

Last edited:
I guess the 530 is Abbey Ale. I'm just trying to learn the differences. I have tried something in the past (WLP500) that didn't get me quite where I wanted, so trying something different with the Dubbel. It is always nice to try to learn from other people before experimenting on something I may or may not like.

On my second batch of @AHarper Mannequin Pees Belgian Dubbel, I used WLP550 as a last minute sub (WLP500 was not available) and was happy with the result.

I could not add Aroma 50 from the list drop down. anyone know how to type in on that is not on the list?

I could not add Aroma 50 from the list drop down. anyone know how to type in on that is not on the list?
I believe it’s listed as Belgian - Aromatic (38L).

A
Actually…I think I’m wrong.

Now I think it’s supposed to be Dingemans - Aromatic Malt (19L).

@Zambezi Special
Help! I’m drowning!
:confused:
I posted the link before, but can't tell you where to find it in the ingredient list
https://www.dingemansmout.be/malt/amber-aromatic®-md
It's 50 EBC, 20 Lovibond.
So the 19 L seems fine.

I think all others are fine as well, but they make the beer slightly darker.

I bought mine before I knew what I was doing and aroma 50 appeared in a number of recipes so I bought it.

Back