2024 1st Quarter Brew

I know it's not "done", but fermentation went pretty quick with BE-256!
When I had a peek last night the krausen has pretty much all dropped out.

I have never used BE-256 before, is this normal for this yeast 3 days post pitch?

1711539362063.png

I've not used be-256.
Can't help, sorry

Glad you like it
:D

Q1-2024 fermenter sample
Temp is down to about 5C
I'm liking this a lot!
I think I will over carbonate this a bit before kegging it and putting it on tap.
It tastes like it is begging to be highly carbonated!
20240404_000324.jpg

I agree, high carbonated is best;)
Seems to be the case with most Belgian beers.

Glad you like it @Craigerrr as it doesn't seem to be like anything you normally drink. No high hops, no supressed esters etc

So I succeeded in getting it carbonated the way a Belgian should be, but I just have a single regulator. I wonder if the carbonation level will stay the way it is being at the same serving pressure as the other kegs?

So I succeeded in getting it carbonated the way a Belgian should be, but I just have a single regulator. I wonder if the carbonation level will stay the way it is being at the same serving pressure as the other kegs?
No, it will not. Try it!

Pressurize it then disconnect until serving time. Release a little pressure to serve if necessary.

Love seeing all the interpretations of this beer so far. You all are killing me! Fingers crossed; I will be brewing Q1 this Sunday morning. Finally!

I'll try and stay as close as I can to the original post. This is what I have planned:

90% Dingemans Pilsner
4.5% Dingemans Aromatic
4.5% Deer Creek Pale Wheat
1% Weyermann Carafa II

Mash above for 60 minutes at ≈ 150°F (66C).

60-minute boil.
12 IBU Sterling at 60 (.3oz, 7.8%)
10 IBU Sterling at 10 (.7oz, 7.8%)
1 IBU Saaz at 5 (.5oz, 2.4%)

M47 fermented between 65-70°F (18-21 C).

1.052 ----> 1.012
5.2% ABV
23 IBU
8-9 SRM

------------------------------

My 2 biggest changes are the 1% Carafa (It's a weakness, but I love my Belgians to have that depth of color!) and Sterling hops (noble/spicy/herbal hops that I really like and have in stock) instead of Styrian Goldings. I don't think either will make a big difference, though @Zambi would be a better judge of that.

Let's go!

Sounds good to me...
I've not used carafa, but at such a small amount I figure it will only change the colour.
I don't know Sterling hop either.

Main thing with Belgians (blond, tripel, double, pale ale) is mostly a simple grain bill and the yeast being more important than the hop.
Although Duvel is having a citra-Duvel now, so things are changing.

Just wish I could try all versions that have been brewed so far :)

Sounds good to me...
I've not used carafa, but at such a small amount I figure it will only change the colour.
I don't know Sterling hop either.

Main thing with Belgians (blond, tripel, double, pale ale) is mostly a simple grain bill and the yeast being more important than the hop.
Although Duvel is having a citra-Duvel now, so things are changing.

Just wish I could try all versions that have been brewed so far :)
The amount of Carafa I'm using for my batch size is 1oz. Just a bit of fairy dust to push my SRM from ≈ 4 to a little over 8. It won't change the flavor and I certainly don't need it. I'm only using it because I have a mental picture of the color I want to see when paired with the flavor I should get from the yeast. In other words, I'm being difficult. :D

Looking for any last minute tips for massaging the best character out of M47.

I realize this is all relative to the drinker, but I’m looking for a finished beer that can only be described as Belgian. I’m assuming 90% of this is going to come down to how I handle the yeast.

My batch will be about 3 gallons (11 liters) into the fermenter.

Pitch a full pack or 1/2 pack?
Pitch temp?
Main fermentation temp?
Raise temp at any point?
How long to ferment?

My thoughts are to pitch not quite a full pack at an ambient temperature of about 66-68F (19-20C), and just let the temperature of the beer rise and fall as it will. I’d expect the temp to hit about 74F (23C) at high krausen and fall back to ambient from there. 2 weeks in the fermenter is my SOP, and I’m planning to stick with that.

Will that get me the esters and Belgiany-ness that I’m looking for?

Any input/experience would be greatly appreciated!

@Zambi

About 1/2 a pack would do.

I haven't tried out too much in temperature.
I would go mid range for the yeast or just a bit below mid temp, knowing it will go up a bit during active fermentation.
Thereafter, about mid range to finish off

All I really know is not to let it go far over the recommended temperature. It happened to me and it definitely didn't like it.
It became just drinkable after months, but it was never good

Back