Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (boulardi).

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone used this yeast to brew a beer?

Missus is on a health kick and paying half some attention I saw she had bought a bottle of probiotic capsules that piqued my brewing interests and straight away checked out what bacteria strains she might be taking. Check it out!
20191023_201002.jpg

I'm thinking WHAT THEo_O Boulardi I ain't never herd of this Saccharomyces strain can I brew with it? This is one article I've found on doctor Google on the subject and to me it's sounding quite positive as a yeast I'm quite keen to mix with ale strain as A sorta "healthy" beer:confused:.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjAMegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0XMzJIX_HH4eK-Qj4Winyg
Here is another more in-depth article

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjACegQIDBAH&usg=AOvVaw2qh6oTcJxAiWzQAzlcx5dQ
So fellow brewers I'm all eyes and ears what are your thoughts about brewing with this yeast strain?
Sounds like it's been isolated off tropical lycees and mangoes in tropical Indonesia and its good for gut especially diahorea problems (I don't have any btw:rolleyes:).
I feel a mixed culture brew heading my way!

Last edited:
Probiotic tablets containing live bacteria can be used to sour a beer... But I don't know what this particular strain of yeast will do in beer wort. Here's a fer-instance: You wouldn't make a beer using bread yeast (although Americans during Prohibition did). It will work, you will get beer, but you may not get much pleasure drinking it. Here's an idea: Do you have a jug, about two to four liters, that you can fit with an blow-off tube? If so, next brew siphon off some wort into that jug, aerate, then pitch with a couple capsules of the stuff. See what happens. I'm betting on a drain pour but I may be surprised....

I'd check for viability before getting any hopes up. Dietary supplements are unregulated and many don't contain much of what they claim. Pitch a starter with several doses and see what happens.
Yeast from fruit sources is likely to yield more wine-like flavors or cider notes but could be interesting.

according to that article where they mix fermented the boulardi with fermentis So4 in an extract IPA wort they come up with satisfactory results if anything the boulardi out grew the S04 yeast in reproduction.
That article is about testing the yeast strain for mix fermentation for craft beer brewing I'm thinking there maybe some "healthy"beers marketed with this yeast in future...

From other sources ive read it's acts like a wheat bier yeast and doesn't flock to well.

Cheers @thunderwagn will give that link a perusal.

See this ain't laccto not peddio or Brett is similar to the Saccharomyces beer yeast strain. I'm supprised it hasn't been brewed with more? I did see a wine link

Last edited:
I guess in my morning haste, I went straight the probiotics and didn't even pay attention to the real question at hand about the yeast! Ignore my babbling lol!

I'm.going try this out next batch of beer I make.
I will overbuild my batch as per usual and pinch 2lt before end of boil when I swirl out my flask to pitch m44 us west coast ale yeast I'll pitch the cooled pinched 2lt (experimental sample onto what yeast is left in flask and crack a few capsules of sc boulardi into the wort to emulate a mixed fermentation. I'll then pop tgis aluminium foil covered flask in the ferm chamber along with my main batch a beer to ferment.

Plan is to bottle this up once fermentation complete. Maybe I'll transfer into a pet bottle and force carb with a carb cap.

Now I compare this mix fermentation against the main .batch with just M44 yeast fermented of same wort for comparrison against the mix ferm batch and post any tasting/aroma notes here and have a healthy gut at same time:D.

Whatdya think solid eh:)?

I'm.going try this out next batch of beer I make.
I will overbuild my batch as per usual and pinch 2lt before end of boil when I swirl out my flask to pitch m44 us west coast ale yeast I'll pitch the cooled pinched 2lt (experimental sample onto what yeast is left in flask and crack a few capsules of sc boulardi into the wort to emulate a mixed fermentation. I'll then pop tgis aluminium foil covered flask in the ferm chamber along with my main batch a beer to ferment.

Plan is to bottle this up once fermentation complete. Maybe I'll transfer into a pet bottle and force carb with a carb cap.

Now I compare this mix fermentation against the main .batch with just M44 yeast fermented of same wort for comparrison against the mix ferm batch and post any tasting/aroma notes here and have a healthy gut at same time:D.

Whatdya think solid eh:)?
Good plan. Will be interesting to see what you get. I wouldn't pitch the experimental 2lt with S. Cerevisiae, though. Imagine if the yeast in the capsules are not alive - the S. Cerevisiae will give you a false positive reading on fermentation! Or it might overwhelm the S. Boulardi. Either way, it'll be a better experiment if you pitch the sample only with the capsules.

Either way, it'll be a better experiment if you pitch the sample only with the capsules.
Absolutely agree...the only way you'll know anything is with as close to a pure culture as possible. It's already unlikely that the culture is cultivated with anywhere near the care needed to keep beer strains true. if you wanted to be scientific about it, you'd run several generations of starters and keep each to brew with and compare results. If Gen1 is brewing the same as Gen5 then you know you have a pure culture and not just a hodgepodge of microorganisms.

Absolutely agree...the only way you'll know anything is with as close to a pure culture as possible. It's already unlikely that the culture is cultivated with anywhere near the care needed to keep beer strains true. if you wanted to be scientific about it, you'd run several generations of starters and keep each to brew with and compare results. If Gen1 is brewing the same as Gen5 then you know you have a pure culture and not just a hodgepodge of microorganisms.
Thankyou for your reply. Yes I understand where your comming from but I'm going to go ahead a do a mixed ferm brew based upon the information I've read from that second link in my first post in that experiment boulardi out competed US04 so going by this info I'm sure I'll get some sorta flavour contribution from the Boulardi yeast.

Clause:rolleyes: if I do like the results of my first mix ferm batch A I'll keep that resultant mixednyeast culture and B I'll conduct a boulardi only mini batch C if I then like this I may conduct a full 20lt brew of which batch I liked best.o_O

Now I do have a sorta comparison though not in the vein of a proper experiment by using the wort from the main uncompromised clean (M44) fermented brew:).

Alrighty here is the recipie I pinched some wort from I transfered the wort straight from the kettle https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/666446/leah-s-beer.

This is a capsule of the Sc boulardi yeast I just cut it and pitched it In directly to the wort. The flask had a little of the previous slurry of 2nd generation Mangrove Jacks M44 ale yeast that I'd spun up just days prior for main batch.
20191027_181033.jpg

Looks a tad darker than brewers yeast aye it is going on dusk here so light behind me don't help on colour but it certainly looks tan to me.

Each capsule contains 250mg of yeast I pitched 4 so 1g pitched into 2lt of 1.034 gravity yeast I'm going to ferment this in my chamber along with main batch temp set at 18.7c with a .5c temp rise.
20191027_181005.jpg

There was just the dregs of slurry from M44 yeast.
Well wish me luck see were it goes from here
Cheers!

12ish hours post pitch following Morning.
20191028_054544.jpg

Signs of krausen developing.

I looked this strain up: First of all, it's good old S. Cerevisiae, a variant, explaining Trialben's pretty nice krauesen. I doubt it's as tame as normal brewer's yeast but we'll see when he taste tests it. I've provided an abstract....

Use of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. boulardii in co-fermentations with S. cerevisiae for the production of craft beers with potential healthy value-added.
Capece A1, Romaniello R2, Pietrafesa A2, Siesto G2, Pietrafesa R2, Zambuto M2, Romano P2.
Author information
Abstract

In recent years, the awareness of consumers about the impact of food on health is constantly increasing. A high amount of dietary antioxidant intake can be supplied by beverages widely consumed, such as wine, coffee, beer. Recently, an increase in the consumer interest was observed for beer, in consequence of the high phenolic antioxidants and low ethanol content present in this beverage. Among all beer types, in recent years, consumption of craft beers has gained popularity. Being an unpasteurized and unfiltered, craft beer is potentially a new vehicle for delivering health effects. While health benefits of lactic acid bacteria as probiotics are well known, few data are available on probiotic yeasts in fermented food. Therefore, this study was aimed to analyse the effect of integrating the well-known probiotic yeast strain of S. cerevisiae var. boulardii (S.b) in mixed cultures with S. cerevisiae strains for production of beers with increased healthy benefits. The probiotic strain of S.b was tested in mixed cultures with selected S. cerevisiae strains, during wort fermentation. As the viability during processing operations is one of the criteria for selecting suitable strains of probiotic microorganisms, the survival of probiotic yeast during the fermentation and the presence of highly viable cells at the end of fermentations were evaluated. In almost all the mixed fermentations, at the end of the process the probiotic yeast was predominant on S. cerevisiae strain, and the experimental beers contained a high number of viable cells of S.b strain (ranging between 8 × 106 and 7.0 × 107/mL). The analysis of experimental beers for the content of main volatile compounds showed that the inclusion of S.b strain in mixed starter did not affect negatively beer aroma. Moreover, the inclusion of S.b strain in mixed starters determined an increase in the antioxidant activity and polyphenols content, in comparison to beers from single starter fermentations, indicating the influence of S.b strain on these parameters. Some mixed starter cultures tested in this study resulted a very promising tool to increase the healthy quality of the product, such as the improve the antioxidant activity and polyphenols content of beer.

Copyright © 2018 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:
Beer aroma; Craft beers; Healthy characters; Saccharomyces cerevisiae; Starter cultures

PMID:
DOI:
10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2018.06.028
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
The punch line is in bold italics.

Didn't even know it existed.
Yep same until I picked the wifes probiotic pill bottle up:p.

Looks like it's past high krausen 36 hours.
From other sources I hear this boulardi isn't a great flocculator.
20191029_055215.jpg

That white line along the bottom of the flask looks like flocculation to me! But keep us posted....

That white line along the bottom of the flask looks like flocculation to me! But keep us posted....
We will see noseybear could also be M44 dropping out :rolleyes:

Aside note I went and changed my WP hops as FWH as per my brain Fart on brew day and looks like the "calculated" IBU comes in at 55ibu! Let's hope this bitterness perception works in my favour this brew I'm crossing my fingers and toes on this one dough!

Last edited:

Back