Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (boulardi).

72hrs looks like it's pretty much all over with primary. It's got these peculiar yeast rafts ontop though. Oh I just admit I've increased fermentation to 21c now up from 18.7 to Finnish it off.
20191030_145918.jpg

Are you getting any interesting aromas from the yeast? Spice? Banana? Particularly fruity? Anything to indicate that you've got something unique and different?

JA's right: If there's something interesting going on, you should be able to notice it in the aroma of the starter.

I gave it a bit of a quick sniff yesterday no off aromas smelled fruity to me. It smelled quite wholesome like it's on the right track.

Have you had a taste of the wort/beer? I’m sure it ain’t gonna taste that great, but you should be able to tell if it’s okay, or a dumper.

I gave it a bit of a quick sniff yesterday no off aromas smelled fruity to me. It smelled quite wholesome like it's on the right track.
My working hypothesis is the "standard" pitch crowded the Boulardii out or that the Boulardii in the capsules may be non-viable - may be wrong, though. I've read where it's used in some mixed fermentations these days.

Have you had a taste of the wort/beer? I’m sure it ain’t gonna taste that great, but you should be able to tell if it’s okay, or a dumper.
Oh come one Mase you've got more faith in me than that :D don't you :rolleyes:?
You know what they say "nothing ventured nothing gained";).

Just between you and me I recon this'll become a bit of a craft beer fad this health yeast mixed culture style beers.
Think of it grab a beer have a good time and have a healthy probiotic yeast culture at the same time! Heck maybe if it tastes any good I can tell the missus to just drink this beer instead of taking one of them pills for her gut every day:eek::cool:!

No what I'm going to do is give it a few more days at 21c and Finnish it up along with the main fermenting batch then crash it and package it into a pet bottle prob 1.125lt then force carb it using carb cap and do a side by side comparison main batch vs mixed ferm batch.

Differences will be main batch is pressure fermented and closed transfered but the wort composition is the same.

I'm excited to bring you the results and maybe even inspire a boulardi fermentation out of you maybe:D

Its alright I'll be the guinea pig lol.

My working hypothesis is the "standard" pitch crowded the Boulardii out or that the Boulardii in the capsules may be non-viable - may be wrong, though. I've read where it's used in some mixed fermentations these days.
It's my understanding only based on that doc I read that over consecutively fermentations the boulardi actually out competed the brewers yeast I encourage you to read the whole file it's excitedly surprising plus would enjoy your more adumacated engineering comments on that experiment...

It's my understanding only based on that doc I read that over consecutively fermentations the boulardi actually out competed the brewers yeast I encourage you to read the whole file it's excitedly surprising plus would enjoy your more adumacated engineering comments on that experiment...
I'm waiting on your evaluation to say more. It's an interesting experiment.

I wouldn't trust that it's useful until I'd done a stand-alone starter with it to check viability and then a test batch of a basic blonde to see where it actually lands on the flavor/attenuation/floculation index.
Just between you and me I recon this'll become a bit of a craft beer fad this health yeast mixed culture style beers.
I tend to agree with that. There can't be much that makes one yeast more healthful than another. Benefits from dietary supplements are largely made-up marketing BS base on a tiny kernel of truth and/or anecdotal evidence.

I wouldn't trust that it's useful until I'd done a stand-alone starter with it to check viability and then a test batch of a basic blonde to see where it actually lands on the flavor/attenuation/floculation index.

I tend to agree with that. There can't be much that makes one yeast more healthful than another. Benefits from dietary supplements are largely made-up marketing BS base on a tiny kernel of truth and/or anecdotal evidence.
Yes there is that we waid through online BS everyday. But I did read that this boulardi yeast was found when scientist's noticed some locals chewing on the skins of pawpaw and mangoes up in tropical Indonesia (It's a tropical yeast strain) so they then analysed it under microscope and isolated this strain of yeast from it! Don't ya Just love brewing and don't ya Just love microbiology. And don't it just make ya wanna throw some boulardi in some brewers wort and get to do some tastings I do:D!

Reactions: J A
And don't it just make ya wanna throw some boulardi in some brewers wort and get to do some tastings I do:D!
I'd say it'll probably make a good beer but I wouldn't venture that there'd be any health benefit from drinking it. :D :D :D

Ha ha well I'll let this sit for another day or so and take some samples both batches are looking identical at this point to me including them hoppy looking yeast rafts on top.

Main batch
20191031_171414.jpg

Experimental

20191031_171859.jpg

I don't know why their looking orange in color must be the lighting unless 300g of carahell can shade it that much :confused:.

Alrighty I'm crashing her down now.
Took a sample of both beers main batch was heaps coudier than the experimental beer:confused: opposite of what I was expecting that beer flocked like a b#@Ch! It's looking like 1.007ish to me that brings it in at 79% attenuation 3.5% and.
20191102_115500.jpg

Check how clear that isnt crashed too btw sitting at 21c ha ha!

Ok so taste wise I'm getting no hops on the nose more of a what I can best describe as a saison type nose to it. So yeah there is some subtle funk going on for sure. It's got a slight tartness to it but hard to get a handle on it without some carbonation so I'll leave it there for you:).

Here is main batch for comparrison.
20191102_121439.jpg

See what I mean... this is more along the lines of what one would expect with 800g of wheat in the grist eh? Somehow that boulardi has stripped the "protine?" Haze from the beer.
Main beer has that slight hop aroma light body I'm hoping some carbonation will bring it home for me
Cheers

Currently 'probiotics' is basically marketing hype and fuel for scammers. Once we get more data and analysis it's looking like it may be some of the more important health research happening at the moment.

That description is sounding interesting Ben, may have to check out the 'health' stores near me.

Currently 'probiotics' is basically marketing hype and fuel for scammers. Once we get more data and analysis it's looking like it may be some of the more important health research happening at the moment.

That description is sounding interesting Ben, may have to check out the 'health' stores near me.
I'll keep you posted Mark.

I'll transfer that experimental beer into a 1.125lt pet bottle and force carbonate but I'm gunna leave it till next weekend to do a side by side.

Likely has some kind of lacto as well, would account for the tartness.

Boulardi batch is in the pet bottle under 10psi I couldn't help but transfer a fair bit of them yeast rafts and other bits in with it. Method was just cleaning sanitizing and purging pet bottle then using clean funnel pour in flask contence then squeeze out air space and fill with co2 and purge co2 up through the beer for a couple a seconds.
Now it's sitting at 10psi until next weekend where we'll do a side by side.

Main batch I tasted today again this time cold crashed with a little bit of carbonation. Yep bitterness is there some low hop aroma and very light body but clean fermentation so will be a good base beer to compare this boulardi brew to. Cheers

Attachments

• 20191103_171853.jpg
    20191103_171853.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 122
Did a side by side on this Boulardi brew yesterday eve.
20191109_073609.jpg
Left Main batch fermented with just M44 mangrove jacks west coast American ale.
Right Boulardi mixed fermentation

They look pretty similar sorry one was in a larger glass that was poured straight out the fermentor so needed some room for foam.

That boulardi brew smelt like a infectious hombrew :D Its just got that off aroma there you know something's gone wrong. Taste wise was a little astringent but had a fruity like flavour but yeah I didn't want to drink a glass full.

That main batch ain't the best beer neither though to say the truth. It's just a bit light in flavour but it's got a rock solid head.

I'm not done with this boulardi yet I think next brew through I'll just run it solo in some higher gravity wort and try again.
Cheers

That boulardi brew smelt like a infectious hombrew :D Its just got that off aroma there you know something's gone wrong.
There's no way that the Boulardi is a clean monoculture. No doubt you've got any number of other organisms in the mix.

Back