Hey just putting it out there but since this is going to be a colaboration brew with people trying different yeast I'm thinking about capping the mash with a roast malts on this stout see if it brings a smoother roast character and all.
That'll smooth it out but roasty bitterness is a part of the beer's flavor. I generally cap dark malts but won't this one.

anything that can give an harsh flavor I just grind up in my coffee grinder and add it to the grain right when fly sparging, works great, it lessens the flavor for batch sparging though

I say it's a great idea!

If you would set it up, I can make it a sticky thread. I think it sounds like fun!

Sorry took a few days off. I'd be happy to.

Kind of like fishing alone. You can make up a big lie about your results. No one will ever know for sure :)

Nautical Squirrel stout Brew day begins Friday arvo here.
Milled grains.
20190802_162421.jpg

Mashed in set to Just below 68c missus came home while doeing in she didn't quite like the aromas emanating out of the keggle ha ha!
20190802_162353.jpg

I ended mashing in the roast grains.
Well almost ready to step to 71 for 20 then bring on the boil baby!

I've never tried capping the mash with the roasted grains. Do you come up short on roast and flavor?

I've never tried capping the mash with the roasted grains. Do you come up short on roast and flavor?
No. What I've found is that it makes the roastiness less harsh.

I may have to try it sometime. I think it's in a Gordon Strong book I have that he talks about adding roasted grains at sparge time.

I like to do it for my beers that have "mild" roastiness - think Schwarzbier. For Stouts and Porters, no capping! They go in the mash so I can extract all the roastiness I can from them.

A recap on the brew from last night (one too many brown ales) transfered 21 lt into fermentor at 1.060 3 points on recipie shouldn't matter. Pitched 007 hasn't kicked off this morning yet but I can see a krausen forming.
Wort tasted roasty and malty. Cheers

20190802_193029.jpg

The only time I usually use roasted malts is in my smoked stout. I want the roasted barley to come through, so mash it with the other grains. I have used an ounce or two for color, but dehusked Carafa malts work well for that.

Yeah I just don't want that ashtray astringent thing but I'm no expierenced stout brewer but I have capped mash a time or two before with what I found preferable subdued roast malt harshness. I'm guessing it also comes down to which roast malt you use too I hear "black paitent" gets a bad wrap?

Oh and just checked stout again gave the lid a little push yep you know it no starsan lol:rolleyes:.

So it is fermenting and I did see a good krausen just no water in air lock.

Last edited:
A recap on the brew from last night (one too many brown ales) transfered 21 lt into fermentor at 1.060 3 points on recipie shouldn't matter. Pitched 007 hasn't kicked off this morning yet but I can see a krausen forming.
Wort tasted roasty and malty. Cheers

View attachment 6788
Killer pic there Ben, me like!

Checked gravity yesterday and looks like I've got a stalled fermentation it was sitting at 1.022. I checked starter gravity and fermentation was at same gravity 1.022. This yeast was prepped with a 2lt starter prior to brew day too and there was well over 150 billion cells in there easily. I started temp at 18.5 left that for a few days and over last few days have raised to 20c .

Well I pitched that starter I spun up with same yeast yesterday arvo after seeing 63% attenuation done there was about 100ml of yeast in there so hopefully it doesn't just flock out too. This is dry English Ale wlp007 it's a heavy Flocker I know last batch I remember low 70's attenuation so maybe time to get some fresh yeast. Anyhow just an update on the BF community recipie brew looks like it's stalled atm will let youse know if I can budge that gravity.

Sample tasted good though.

Racked this stubborn brew today gravity 1.022 so no movement on gravity dam it. Anyhow can't wait to taste it tastes lovely.

Hey anyone got any ideas on next BF recipe I've gotta get another brew down soon :rolleyes:

I'm thinking session ale 4% ~ base/Vienna 10% - clean yeast and some inticing late/whirlpool hops.

Anyone?

Back