Well no turning back for me now I've put me order in for this nautical stout. Now of course I couldn't get the same malts and hops so I'll flick the link here https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/860094/nautical-squirrel-stout
Only Chinook I had on offer was hash at 21AA so I got some CTZ I did get centennial I'm just wondering if I should use it again a 60 or stick with CTZ (I've never used it before but at 60min I'm guessing this will be all bittering anyhow) what's ya thoughts?

Also I've.never used a FWH then 60min bittering addition before. I know this recipie calls for a 90min FWH Centennial addition and a 60min Chinook addition what's your thoughts on that Nosey B Bear?
It's all going to be bittering won't it? So why not just adjust FWH A A and throw all bittering hops in there?
Oh and I am tempted at doing a late 5 minute CTZ for aroma or will it just be swallowed up in the roast?

Malts are Thomas Fawcets also TF chocolate (dark) I used Gladfield to get a closer colour approximation I couldn't find United kingdom dark chocolate in recipie malt dropdown.

Anyway will get the starter prepped this week and probably will brew it on weekend.

I'm in - I'll brew it next weekend. It's 106 degrees outside and I'm staying in.

I think there should be ground rules for a thread like this. Here is a proposal for you consideration

• Create a sticky in the "recipes for Feedback" and call it "BF Community Recipe of the month". This is where the record is kept for each months brew. "link to monthly threads" and Style
  • New recipe each month.
  • The owner of last month's thread creates the next months thread.
  • The first poster in the new thread names the style.
  • Styles should be something achievable by a home brewer
  • Anyone can participate.
  • Pictures of brewing and final product are welcome
  • If you don't like the style simply don't participate.

What say ye gentlemen and ladies?

Oh I could name a few that went on and on and on and on.

That being said, I like the idea, just not sure the best way to implement. Somehow I was thinking starting from a style, not a recipe. No offense to Nosy’s recipe as I’m sure it’s good.
None taken.

I'm in - I'll brew it next weekend. It's 106 degrees outside and I'm staying in.

I think there should be ground rules for a thread like this. Here is a proposal for you consideration

• Create a sticky in the "recipes for Feedback" and call it "BF Community Recipe of the month". This is where the record is kept for each months brew. "link to monthly threads" and Style
  • New recipe each month.

I think this is a great start Chico (my two cents)

My mind is feeble enough that I'm always open to suggestion :)

I think this is a great start Chico (my two cents)
Good idea! I pitched the recipe because the OP started with one. I like the idea of starting with a style and have no issues with passing if it isn't something I like. No offense but most of you aren't around to help me drink a beer that I don't like.

Yep, got the beast all ready to go. Taking a newby this year. We leave Wednesday. The popcorn is a necessary accompaniment with drama and/or creativity.
How many miles is that to Sturgis for you? Gotta be a decent trek.

Yep, got the beast all ready to go. Taking a newby this year. We leave Wednesday. The popcorn is a necessary accompaniment with drama and/or creativity.

Lucky you're not leaving earlier. Our daughter Callie, who you met, leaves out tomorrow morning from Seattle. She's heading to St. Louis and will be passing really close to Sturgis on Tuesday. Her first cross country trip with a U-haul and dollying her car behind. I'd be careful on 2 wheels if I knew she was on the road :)
Have a great trip. Wish I could join you.

• New recipe each month.

Great ideah I think Ozarks can make it a sticky thread without spilling some malt on it:D! Sorry lame joke

I have Nautical Star entered in BS3 now. Only change, using Imperial Darkness yeast. Probably brew in September. Thanks Nosy!

Last edited:

• New recipe each month.

I say it's a great idea!

If you would set it up, I can make it a sticky thread. I think it sounds like fun!

Maybe the incentive some of us need to try styles we're never brewed before. I know I'm in that rut:)

Maybe the incentive some of us need to try styles we're never brewed before. I know I'm in that rut:)
We do that in our judged club quarterly and it’s a great way to learn other styles. Here we can brew them and get feedback from local brewers. Awesome idea.

Alrighty grains arrived today will see if I can squeeze a Sunday brew session in. Got the starter prepped and cold crashed. Bring on this stout. Gee havnt brewed one of these in like two years looks like it'll be my mainstay for the time being with all this roast malt lol:p!
20190731_174141.jpg

The hops are centennial, CTZ, some Brooklyn 17% AA on them can't wait to taste and some clearance 2013 liberty hops.

Hey just putting it out there but since this is going to be a colaboration brew with people trying different yeast I'm thinking about capping the mash with a roast malts on this stout see if it brings a smoother roast character and all.

Back