Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Wife was digging around in the freezer and found a package of Jalapeño/Cheddar brats I made last fall. Wrapped them in bacon and grilled them up. Served on whole wheat baguette with shredded onions and condiments. Good stuff. Guess I need to make some more.
Brats1.jpg
Brats2.jpg

Gotta love it. That’s the closest I’ve seen to wrapping bacon with bacon. I need to try that next time we get brats. :)

Gotta love it. That’s the closest I’ve seen to wrapping bacon with bacon. I need to try that next time we get brats. :)

I love them like that. The down side is the casing doesn't have the snap it would if it wasn't wrapped in the bacon. That's a trade off I'll accept :)
Meant to ask you last week -----Are you riding to Sturgis this year or trailering?

I love them like that. The down side is the casing doesn't have the snap it would if it wasn't wrapped in the bacon. That's a trade off I'll accept :)
Meant to ask you last week -----Are you riding to Sturgis this year or trailering?
What’s a trailer?
Yes, we are riding out at the end of July.

Cool. You're a better man than I. My a$$ would fall off before I got out of Nevada.

No need for bacon on that good looking pork shoulder. Looks like you're getting some use out of the smoker. Happy 4th!

Been busy and didn't plan very well for meat smokin. Totally forgot to pull meat out of the freezer. I've got a brisket flat that I may pull and maybe be thawed for a Saturday bbq session.

Those beans look familiar. Miriam had some bell peppers and cannellini beans left over from prepping her orzo salad, so I threw them in mine. They turned out good as well. View attachment 6565
Damn fine looking plate! Salad looks really good.
My beans are somewhat similar. Key ingredients are mustard, ketchup, pepper, copious amounts of brown sugar, Frank's Red Hot, and cider vinegar. Throw in a green pepper and onion for good measure. I couldn't give amounts cause I don't measure lol. Of course bacon is a given.

Damn fine looking plate! Salad looks really good.
My beans are somewhat similar. Key ingredients are mustard, ketchup, pepper, copious amounts of brown sugar, Frank's Red Hot, and cider vinegar. Throw in a green pepper and onion for good measure. I couldn't give amounts cause I don't measure lol. Of course bacon is a given.

Thanks. The salad is a Mediterranean Orzo salad. A friend brought some over to a BBQ we had a few years ago and it was a hit. My wife got the recipe and has managed to make it so bland that I can hardly eat it. I usually make a pasta salad or slaw and let her eat the Orzo :)

My mind has reached a point that I can't duplicate anything I cook or brew without saving the recipe to refer to. I don't follow recipes to a tee when I cook, but still need to see the ingredients. Don't get old :)

Got my brisket on. I'm going for a hot and fast bbq today. Taking the pit up to about 350 and cooking the brisket to 160 ish. Wrapping and finishing it to 205-210. Not my usual style, but I've got too much going on for 12+ hours of babysitting.
20190706_075613.jpg

Hope to be completely done within 5-6 hrs. Tops...

20190706_081540.jpg

Put this in at midnight at 225. Not having to rush, we are glamping on the river property this wknd. At stall temp when i got up this morning. Pissed cause I have no paper to wrap it. Debating on using aluminum foil but will prob hold off and just cover it for rest.

Beneath the onions, bell peppers, garlic, fresh picked jalapeños, a cube of butter and a pint of pale ale lay 3 pounds of Sheboygan Brats. The best brats I've ever found. They're about to go on the grill at 325 to stew for an hour or so before the brats are laid out on the grate to sear while the rest of the goodies continue to reduce. All of it will be served on whole grain tortillas with avocado and salsa among the condiments.
Hope it tastes as good as I've tried to make it sound :)

Attachments

• Brats.jpg
    Brats.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 119

Back