Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Mom and dad were right behind Yuba College on Woodland Circle. On the way out to Beale AFB.

Just pulled the Pastrami at 155F. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and slice it almost paper thin tomorrow morning. My best friend since our early teens and his wife coming down for next weekend. When we visit them, they serve nothing but the best. We try to do the same. Pastrami, smoked Irish Cheddar, Smoked Trout, Sweet & Spicy St. Louis Ribs, Cowboy Caviar, Colcannon and some home brewed beers and cider. If you need to ask, yes, they are rednecks too :)

Smoked 7 trout with Pecan. Just pulled the smaller 4, about 10-13," and vacuum packed. Will be pulling the 14+" ones in another 11/2 hours. Love my smoked trout.
Trout.jpg

Time to get out and hook some more.

Looking good. I'm salivating and need to fire up the Traeger now. Thinking Tri-tip for supper.

20190518_130206.jpg

Just started the slow cook on a 1.4kg beef brisket I'm a nube when it comes to this kinda stuff but what I've done is.
Rubbed it down with salt pepper olive oil some cumin seeds Graham Masala Italian herbs and spices then found a jar of cranberry sauce spooned a big scoop of that on and smeared it around followed by a good shake to tomatoe sauce and a healthy drizzle of worchestershire sauce massaged that around a bit. Then boiled kettle dissolved two chicken stock cubes in 500ml of boiled water and put that in the pan.
5 hours from now I'll post a pick.

Whaddya recon would you eat it:p?
On the right track hey I've gotta cover this with alfoil at start dont I? Oh woops better go do that. Then 2 hours in I'll remove right.
20190518_184607.jpg

Yeah baby put this on at 1pm cooked 130c for 5 hours added spuds punkin carrot and apple! Upped to 180c for another hour and here we are champing at the bit to devour!

Last edited:
I grill and smoke a lot of meat, and have for ~40 years. Some of the best things that I've done have been surprises. Let us know how it turned out. I may be the newest cooking craze..

I grill and smoke a lot of meat, and have for ~40 years. Some of the best things that I've done have been surprises. Let us know how it turned out. I may be the newest cooking craze..
Ah MAATTTEEE! Melt in the mouth type stuff! Had me slobbering like a sloth all over the place when I cut it up. I ended up making some gravy outta that pan juice it cooked in and my missus usually doesnt care for it but last night she dipped the finger in had a taste and said yep throw some on! Yeah everything just melded together nicely. The apple was an experiment was a little bit caramelized but I could imagine at 200c for a but with a sugary glaze its desert type material.

Anyhow I'll be making it again.
Oh next time through I'll put the veg in at 1 & 1/2 to go and leave at 130c I found that last bit of high temp just overcooked the thin bit of the meat oh so just slightly and that sugary cranberry glaze burnt just a tad so if I'd left it down low I recon woulda been a better out come. But still AMAZING!

Bought a 17lb brisket and cut the cap from the flat. Never did that before but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now I'm rubbing it with just coarse salt and pepper half and half. Into the smoker on smoke for three hours then wrap and put some beef broth in and cook at 225 for six hours. More pictures after the smoke has been applied.

20190518_160013.jpg

Bought a 17lb brisket and cut the cap from the flat. Never did that before but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now I'm rubbing it with just coarse salt and pepper half and half. Into the smoker on smoke for three hours then wrap and put some beef broth in and cook at 225 for six hours. More pictures after the smoke has been applied.

View attachment 6043

5lb of trimming so 12lb of beef.

I freeze the fatty trimmings to use in beef sausages when I make a batch. Hard to find a beef cut with enough fat and I'm not about to pay $3/lb. at the butcher shop for fat. I have been finding untrimmed tri-tip for that price occasionally and it's got almost enough fat.

I freeze the fatty trimmings to use in beef sausages when I make a batch. Hard to find a beef cut with enough fat and I'm not about to pay $3/lb. at the butcher shop for fat. I have been finding untrimmed tri-tip for that price occasionally and it's got almost enough fat.
OH boy now I'm looking for a sausage grinder and recipes

Hit me up when I get back from vacation. My wife has a great Andouille recipe and I've got a bunch of good ones too. If you like Jalapeño/Cheddar Brats, got one to die for.

That looks delicious Chico! Now you’ve done it! Not enough time for a low and slow, so gonna have to toss a couple Angus T-Bones on the Weber this afternoon.

Back