Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

You're making me hungry too.
Just out of curiosity, are you wrapping them to rest or as a crutch? I ask because I never use a crutch for shoulders. If that's the case, wondering if you find an advantage to it.
For the rest. They'll be ready for dinner. Sometimes I wrap them and add apple juice and vinegar and cook them a couple hours slow at the end. I guess that's a crutch.

Thanks. That is a Texas crutch, generally used to get past the stall on larger cuts and to keep less fatty cuts from drying out. I really never find the need with shoulders. I can see it as useful to shorten the cook a bit and still get pork that shreds well. Also nice to have juices to add back in when shredding.

I don't wrap often and when I do it is because something happens. Like a big storm blows in or my schedule gets blasted somehow...like being called into work, or the liquor has flowed to freely and I'm approaching a level of doneness myself. I've wrapped and put in the oven or crock pot. But typically not a wrapper either.
My brother is a big wrapper. He also just happens to live Dallas, TX. Whenever I've asked why, he says "F*ck that dude! It's 108 outside".

Honey & Bourbon chuck roast as it went in the Dutch oven 4 hours ago.
Just starting to fill the house with with awesomeness. :)
upload_2019-3-9_12-54-13.jpeg

Sounds and looks delicious!

Ah the Dutch oven I love me some Dutch camp oven cooking out on the open fire! Cheers Group W I'll go tuck into me poridge for breaky lol.

Man, that looks delicious! I really wanted to burn some wood today, but the winds are too much to deal with. Maybe tomorrow with any luck.

:rolleyes: I have that one too. Sees lots of action . . .

That's almost like a brick oven . . . Bet it gets crunchy. Wonder what a damp towel in there would do (Steam)

Leaving the lid on for the first 30 minutes retains plenty of moisture. The last 15 uncovered does great things for the crust. It has the internal texture of a SF sourdough and a very crunchy crust.
I've subbed in 1/2 cup of live yogurt for a half cup of water and let it rise for 24 hours before. Took on some really nice sour notes.

Back