What are you drinking right now?

My mixed berry cider. No side shot whisky... but there is a shot of Evan Williams BIB 100 proof in the cider:p:D
20190210_172748-1024x1365.jpg

Nice looking cider. Sounds even better with the octane booster in it.

Cheers that one drinks as good as it looks one to be repeated. I wonder if I could use 1 kg of pearled barley :rolleyes:...
I love the mosaic Simcoe hop combo it's got a late addition dash of Chinook as well. Yum

Another sampling from the rare and sadly mostly unknown Cambridge MA brewery. Tastes like peaches and honeydew melon. I think I prefer my west coast citrus and pine bombs. These NEPAs tast good on first sip but they leave a pastey taste on the palette.

20190212_190536.jpg
20190212_190840.jpg

Just a taster of my Big Ben Barley wine I brewed just under 9 months ago. It's smoothed out nicely has a nice toasty smell a little oak and sweet malt. The tastenis full smooth with hot Finnish the oak is there with the malt sweetness. It's comming along just nicely will bottle one or two of these up soon to put in comp in May it'll be just shy on a year then.
20190214_165507.jpg

Just a taster of my Big Ben Barley wine I brewed just under 9 months ago. It's smoothed out nicely has a nice toasty smell a little oak and sweet malt. The tastenis full smooth with hot Finnish the oak is there with the malt sweetness. It's comming along just nicely will bottle one or two of these up soon to put in comp in May it'll be just shy on a year then. View attachment 5187
Hmm, oak in a barleywine. Sounds like it could be nice. How'd you get the oak flavour in?

Hmm, oak in a barleywine. Sounds like it could be nice. How'd you get the oak flavour in?
Well Mr Man of Many hats :). I roasted some American oak chips in am aluminium tray on BBQ untill it smoked a little then I soaked them chips in good old Bundy Rum Whilst the yeast were doing there thing I think a week or two then I ran this through a strainer and racked my almost fermenter out barley wine onto the chips in a fresh fermentor to get it's Oak on I'm sure from memory I left it a month. Then racked this to a keg where it's sat in my coolish garage.

Here's the recipie for a perusal.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/651189/bigbenbarleywine
I'm sure there's a thread on here from when I brewed it. Here we go
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/barleywine-ideas.9645/

Last edited:
I was looking for a next brew and in you walk...

The wife has the next tap on the kegerator reserved for her generally wonderful west coast IPA in the next few weeks so that means a bottled batch for me and I reckon I can sneak in a barleywine (even though she thinks she's reserved the style). Rum soaked oak chips are calling to me now

edit: and the tragedy of the many hats is that about four hours after that photo the wind took the bottom one (my favourite) and deposited it on the roof of the ex-brothel next door. Sounds like a job for one of my kids next time they visit.

Last edited:

The wife has the next tap on the kegerator reserved for her generally wonderful west coast IPA in the next few weeks so that means a bottled batch for me and I reckon I can sneak in a barleywine (even though she thinks she's reserved the style). Rum soaked oak chips are calling to me now

edit: and the tragedy of the many hats is that about four hours after that photo the wind took the bottom one (my favourite) and deposited it on the roof of the ex-brothel next door. Sounds like a job for one of my kids next time they visit.
Ain't that the way it goes? A week ago I had brewer's block, now I have enough brew ideas to last the summer. Ex-brothel next door? You lead a far more interesting life than my suburban American existence, my friend!

Speaking of ex-brothels. On our way to Southern California a few years ago we passed an old brothel that looked like it had been closed for quite a number of years. At the entrance of the drive was a sigh that read, "Closed. Beat it'" :) Next time we pass it I'll stop and take a picture.

Classic! is it better to know where the "ex" brothels are or the ones that are in operation?. living in the "Nanny State" Queensland all that sorta stuff is banned and highly illegal. lucky for me they condone the brewing of ones own beer and spirits here phew!
Well Mark if I've inspired you it's inspiration that's shared from the wealth of brewing knowledge here in this site I'm sure it was @Head First that first inspired me with his snapshots of one of his barleywine brews and I'm sure it was @jmcnamara who got me onto the toasting the Oak chips from his barleywine expierence. Anyhow good luck we're all eyes and ears to see how it ferments out for you:).

Back