Bottle conditioning

I_playdrums

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am adding a small batch brew to our full batch brew days. Utilizing leftover yeast from the starter, it seems like a waste to throw out instead of putting it to use. I am doing 2 gallon batches, and want to bottle condition. Has anyone determined a percent solution of the corn sugar addition, and added a pre measured amount to each bottle?
Simplified, instead of using priming tabs/bottle, I calculated the amount of sugar required for each bottle. Crunched the numbers for the percent solution, and I think I am on the right path for individual priming sugar additions to each individual bottle.
Any ideas?
Does this sound legit?

Yes it does make sense to do it that way... depending on the level of CO2 your looking for.. my average is 2.5 - 2.8 grams of table sugar per bottle... you can add it directly to the bottle but I make a solution and use a 10 liter keg with 2# of CO2 pressure. Over the last year I have put up right at 280 bottles this way and every one has been a success... all of my carboys are 3 gallon capacity

keg-bottle.jpeg

Utilizing leftover yeast from the starter, it seems like a waste to throw out instead of putting it to use.
I'm confused...You're making a starter and not using it all for the batch at hand? Why would you go to the trouble of making a starter to achieve a certain yeast count if you're not pitching it all?
Seems like making more yeast than you need and then making another partial batch of beer so you can find a use for it is doubling down on wasteful effort. Just make the size starter you need or save part of the pitch to make the next starter.
If it's more beer you want, just make bigger batches to start with.

I'm confused...You're making a starter and not using it all for the batch at hand? Why would you go to the trouble of making a starter to achieve a certain yeast count if you're not pitching it all?
Seems like making more yeast than you need and then making another partial batch of beer
so you can find a use for it is doubling down on wasteful effort. Just make the size starter you need or save part of the pitch to make the next starter.

If it's more beer you want, just make bigger batches to start with.
I am not confident in yeast count for what I have stored in my bank. Good suggestion tho. A small batch on brew day, if you have the equipment and yeast, was an easy decision for me.

I do it that way. Works for me as I'm generally filling 4-8 litres of 500mL bottles.

I am not confident in yeast count for what I have stored in my bank.
I'm still missing something here. You're not confident of your yeast count so you make extra starter. But then you don't use it all for the intended batch but instead brew a smaller batch for the purpose of using up the extra?
How are you confident that you're pitching enough if you don't use all the starter you made with banked yeast you're not confident of?
I'm sure it's all fine but I just don't see the logic. o_O

I'm still missing something here. You're not confident of your yeast count so you make extra starter. But then you don't use it all for the intended batch but instead brew a smaller batch for the purpose of using up the extra?
How are you confident that you're pitching enough if you don't use all the starter you made with banked yeast you're not confident of?
I'm sure it's all fine but I just don't see the logic. o_O
Just looking for help priming in a bottle.

Just looking for help priming in a bottle.
What help are you looking for? I'm not understanding how starters are needed, there's enough yeast left in suspension in your beer to referment and produce carbonation.

Does this sound legit?
Assuming I have any clue what you are going for...yes, but you OP is confusing as F.....!

Regarding what many others have mentioned about the "extra starter yeast"....you do realize that a bit of over-pitching isn't a bad thing, right!?

OP's question seems to be limited to bottle priming. The reasoning behind the "extra" batch didn't matter to the question. It was just a slightly confusing aside AFAICT. He doesn't seem to be asking whether the yeast/batch regimen was "legit" but just the method of priming, though it took some re-reading to sort that out. ;)

Back