Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Maybe the pic will make it this time. Poor cell on the lake.
upload_2018-6-5_14-52-50.jpeg

Camping and smoking rainbows this week. This makes a Coors Light taste good.

Dunno about the Coors Light, but I love smoked trout. A couple more nice ones and I'll have enough to fire up the Big Chief.

Wife taking me out to dinner so no meat on the grill.

Been doin my spare ribs using the 1-2-3 method for several years. Yea, it takes a lot of time, but results are worth the effort. I was reading some posts on Reddit r/smoking and came across one that outlined another method touted as having comparable results in half the time. Gave it a try yesterday and was impressed. These were some good ribs and definitely comparable to my 3-2-1 ribs. Here's the routine coupled with my twist on preparation.:

Trim St. Louis style and remove membrane. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Coat generously with yellow mustard and then with favorite rub. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then coat lightly with Turbinado sugar. Grill indirect for 1 1/2 hours at 300 F. Warm 2 TBSP each butter and honey and 1 seeded and finely diced Jalapeno. Coat both sides of slab with butter/honey mixture, double wrap in foil and cook for 45 minutes at 300 F. Unwrap, place bone side down on grill and slather with favorite BBQ Sauce. Cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes to set sauce and rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Can't wait to try the trimmings.

Here are a couple of pics. One ready to hit the grill and the other right after saucing.
Ready to cook.jpg
Almost Supper.jpg

Some good lookin swine. I don't sauce or wrap my ribs much. I stick to mustard and rub, but those pretty tasty.
I've done St Louis ribs 2 weekends in a row. Thinking about doing em again for the 4th. I've got some short ribs in the freeze and a few chuckies. Maybe I'll go that route for a little change.
Those look good Bob!

personally I like the country ribs on the right, caramelized and half bunt on the bottom just like you have yours, I eat those at least every couple of weeks, if cooked right they melt in your mouth

Some good lookin swine. I don't sauce or wrap my ribs much. I stick to mustard and rub, but those pretty tasty.
I've done St Louis ribs 2 weekends in a row. Thinking about doing em again for the 4th. I've got some short ribs in the freeze and a few chuckies. Maybe I'll go that route for a little change.
Those look good Bob!

Never too many ribs. I could live on ribs, beans and beer :)

Nice ribs there Bob! It doesn’t get much better than burnt ends and beer. :)

I'll tell you what makes these ribs even better. Got them for $.99/lb. Hardly any trimming other than what you see in the pan. Damn nice ribs. Too bad the limit was 2 slabs.

personally I like the country ribs on the right, caramelized and half bunt on the bottom just like you have yours, I eat those at least every couple of weeks, if cooked right they melt in your mouth

Yea, I'm kind of partial to the trimmings too. Just like brisket burnt ends. Good stuff!

Got the kitchen tore apart installing a new sink, so nuked supper tonight. The burnt rib trimmings were great. Made a meal out of them, some green beans in a steamer pack and a beer. Why do people do fast food?

Part 1 of my brisket adventure. Got about a 13 lb slab at the grocery store. This was only done in the oven. Some curry powder in the rub. A bottle of root beer in the pan for braising juices. 4 hrs in the oven. No smoked taste but darn is it tender and good

Attachments

• 1532389253653362698129.jpg
    1532389253653362698129.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 212
I should add I have 2 more pieces roughly the same size. Need to figure out what to do with those next

Back