Sour Orange Creamsicle ☺

N0mad

Trial Member
Reaction score
Not mine but I thought it would make an interesting discussion... way out of my league for sure... I would really like to taste it though...
Linky >> Sour Orange Creamsicle

I like sours, but I've always been a bit paranoid of doing them in fear of contaminating my equipment. I'm probably just overly paranoid though.

I am very intrigued, thanks for posting that. I might have to brew that soon

one question, do you think i could sub lactic acid for the pediococcus pitch? i'd rather not introduce anything wild to the brewhouse

Reactions: J A
one question, do you think i could sub lactic acid for the pediococcus pitch? i'd rather not introduce anything wild to the brewhouse
I did a "sour" with lactic acid addition and it turned out quite nicely.
I'm not usually one for "novelty" beers, but I have to say I like the idea of the lactose adding some richness to the vanilla profile and having the lacto to offset the sweetness might be extremely interesting.

I did a "sour" with lactic acid addition and it turned out quite nicely.
I'm not usually one for "novelty" beers, but I have to say I like the idea of the lactose adding some richness to the vanilla profile and having the lacto to offset the sweetness might be extremely interesting.
my mom likes the creamsicle one from coney island brewing, but i think it's more of a hard juice than a beer (could be wrong). it's pretty good, but it's not something i'd buy / drink on my own. but making my own....

I like sours, but I've always been a bit paranoid of doing them in fear of contaminating my equipment. I'm probably just overly paranoid though.

Use the kettle sour method and then you won't have to worry about contamination.

I forget if I have lactic or citric on hand. I've read that they're interchangeable but I might need to adjust the amount. Does that sound right?
Also, does lactose go bad? I've had some sealed in a plastic container for at least 2 years by now.
I think I'll be brewing this up on monday!

One word to solve your paranoia, bleach.;)
It is probably one of the strongest sanitizers available to us.
It won't leave a residual if used properly and equipment has time to air out.

I forget if I have lactic or citric on hand. I've read that they're interchangeable but I might need to adjust the amount. Does that sound right?
Also, does lactose go bad? I've had some sealed in a plastic container for at least 2 years by now.

I don't think they are interchangeable in flavor. Sure, they both give tartness but citric and lactic acid have different flavor nuances. I'd much prefer lactic acid since it's tart but not "lemony" if that makes sense. I do use citric acid in my homemade tonic for that bright lemon/lime flavor.

I don't think lactose can go bad, like table sugar doesn't go bad. At least that's my guess.

It won't, as Yooper said, for the same reason: Too much sugar, not enough water. Agree with Yooper on the acid, too: Lactic acid is pretty normal in beer, citric not so much. Citric is the sour of a Sweet-Tart candy, lactic is the sour of a yogurt.

I sour my Gose with lactic. Works great as long as you don't overdue it.

I sour my Gose with lactic. Works great as long as you don't overdue it.
what's your dosage rate?

also, if my calculations are right, I'd need about 9-10 oranges for each addition? I may just make a half batch to start

what's your dosage rate?

also, if my calculations are right, I'd need about 9-10 oranges for each addition? I may just make a half batch to start

I did 15ml for a 3 gallon batch. May want to start with 10ml and keep incrementing based on tasting.

Finally brewed this last Sunday (went to the lhbs end of May for this batch). It was very weird not putting any hops in the boil. And I found out the 6 lbs of oranges yields over 3 oz of zest.
Added the first dry hop yesterday night, also a first to be doing that during fermentation. The fridge smelled great. Very pungent orange smell.
Prepared the tincture today. And making some orange rice to go with dinner.
And I still have a solid brewers dozen of zested whole oranges in the fridge

I really want to hear about this in a couple of weeks when it's done

Back