which SG to use to determine balanced IBU for a tripel

Xendelaar

Trial Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to make a Duvel Citra clone. This is a Belgian strong ale/ Tripel. I’m planning to use:

- 9 lb of pilsner malt
- 1,8 lb of sugar

According to the SG to IBU chart, I “should” aim for an IBU of approximately 37-45 IBU with my current SG of 1.085.

I was wondering though.. since a large portion of the SG is caused by the sugar, should I subtract the SG points caused by the this component, reducing the SG from 1.085 to 1.064? This would result in a recommended IBU of 27-34.

Which SG and IBU should I use if I don’t want the beer to be too hoppy?

Thanks in advance

BU/GU ratio is based on Final Gravity. Use the recipe calculator to build the recipe and it will project FG based on Original Gravity, yeast attenuation, mash temp, etc and project IBUs based on alpha acids, time of additions, pre-boil volume and will calculate a BU/GU ration which can be viewed in the "More" drop-down at the top right of the recipe editor.

It is an interesting question, though, since the sugar will contribute alcohol but no flavor. The more I think of it, the more I'm inclined to agree: Use the gravity without the sugar for the hop calculation. But then, alcohol contributes a bit of a sweet flavor in itself.... So I'd go with the lower hop charge and see what happens. You can always make a hop tea later and add bitterness but it's danged hard to take out.

BU/GU ratio is based on Final Gravity. Use the recipe calculator to build the recipe and it will project FG based on Original Gravity, yeast attenuation, mash temp, etc and project IBUs based on alpha acids, time of additions, pre-boil volume and will calculate a BU/GU ration which can be viewed in the "More" drop-down at the top right of the recipe editor.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to check it out on the recipe maker. However, i doubt that the chart I´m using is based on the FG, as the dimension is clearly stated on the y- axis. :)

w8mksq

It is an interesting question, though, since the sugar will contribute alcohol but no flavor. The more I think of it, the more I'm inclined to agree: Use the gravity without the sugar for the hop calculation. But then, alcohol contributes a bit of a sweet flavor in itself.... So I'd go with the lower hop charge and see what happens. You can always make a hop tea later and add bitterness but it's danged hard to take out.

also thank you for your advice. Starting relatively low makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to aim somewhere between 30 and 32 IBU.

EDIT: I can't seem to get the picture working...

Actually I mis-stated because I wasn't thinking it through and it was early. :oops:The BU/GU is OG-based, as the chart says.
My main point was that if you use the recipe editor, it'll give you the BU/GU ratio for any recipe you put into the calculator. And assuming that you assign the style that you're brewing to, it'll give you an IBU range to bitter to.

Back