Water/Grain Ratio

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Mash & Brew system instructions say to use a 1.2 qt/lb for the mash. I want to give that a try, but it seems like that may be very thick and hard to stir. Does anyone go that low on their mash, regardless of brewing method, BIAB or 3 vessel?

I start as low as .75 quarts per pound when doughing in for a protein rest. That's very thick, indeed. I often have a Beta rest at 1.2 or so and it's plenty soupy enough to pump and recirculate.

Good to know. I should mention that the grain basket is probably close to an inch (2.2 cm :p) smaller than the kettle. So there’s some water that never touches the grain. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

Reactions: J A
My efficiencies have been in the 70% range and after some research, I might improve that my thinning out my mash. Since I started all grain (spring of this year), I've been using the 1.25 quarts H2O per pound of grains. My next brewday will shoot for up to 1.5 quarts H2O per pound of grains. I'm a little concerned because I mash out and then sparge, so I'm concerned about a reduced volume of sparge water. All that being said, keep an eye on your efficiencies if you get your mash too thick.

I normally use 1.5 but only because I use a herms set up and it takes much more water to travel through the pipes, I really don't have an exact measure, every batch is different because of the grist, flaked grains need more water, you can tell when you stir and let it sit for a while whether it’s too thick or not, for you if not recirculating 1.2 should work but again it depends on the grain and how sticky it becomes, you don’t want to break your back stirring o_O

The Mash & Brew system instructions say to use a 1.2 qt/lb for the mash. I want to give that a try, but it seems like that may be very thick and hard to stir. Does anyone go that low on their mash, regardless of brewing method, BIAB or 3 vessel?
It'll affect your mash pH: Thicker mashes tend to be lower in pH - less of the alkaline buffers in the lower quantity of water. Some scans of some other studies didn't indicate significant changes in the quality of the beer.

6lt/1kg grain for me mate no help to you sorry:).

You actually had me a bit excited about this unit. I see the robo brew pump version is half the cost of grainfather. But yeah not just yet...

you can add a cheap DCV pump and a hose for less than $50 for both if needed, I have one

Attachments

• screenshot-www.brew-boss.com-2017-10-03-14-46-31.png
    screenshot-www.brew-boss.com-2017-10-03-14-46-31.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 133
What does that do for me, OMB? Recirculate the mash, I assume?

yes it keeps a perfect temperature plus all grain is saturated evenly and you get a higher efficiency making your grain bill less

Good to know. I should mention that the grain basket is probably close to an inch (2.2 cm :p) smaller than the kettle. So there’s some water that never touches the grain. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

I'd take that water dead space into account and add it to the 1.2 Qt/Lbs.
I'm not sure if you tried that in your system that you may have troubles getting all the grain submersed.

As far as the efficiency goes, unless you're doing a congress mash, i think above 80% is going to pull some nasties from your grains
I average 77% without any recirc and am happy with that, but to each his own.
Brian

I just hit 72% on today’s brew. I wouldn’t mind a bit better than that. I like your theory about the water dead space. Today’s recipe called for 3.6 gallons of strike water, but the pot isn’t graduated until 4 gallons, so that’s what I used. It did seem like the top of the grain bed was just above water level. I think I’ll try closer to 5 gallons strike water next time.

As far as the efficiency goes, unless you're doing a congress mash, i think above 80% is going to pull some nasties from your grains
Why would converting and extracting more sugars cause "nasties" to be produced? And what sort of "nasties" are we talking about? Some of my best beers have been over 80% efficiency, though I'm usually running in the mid- to high 70s.

Pro brewers plan on 85% conversion efficiency.... The nasties are pulled by over-sparging or overheating the sparge. Reminds me, I need to change my sparge process....

Why would converting and extracting more sugars cause "nasties" to be produced? And what sort of "nasties" are we talking about? Some of my best beers have been over 80% efficiency, though I'm usually running in the mid- to high 70s.

Mainly tannin from the hulls. In the 'Smaller" beer world, we tend to have less controls with our temperatures and our PH.
Getting above 80% usually requires a finer crush and or more sparge water. The finer crush also breaks the hulls down further and more sparge water can raise PH all resulting in extraction of tannin

more sparge water can raise PH
Simple to deal with that with water additions at sparge. I agree that PH can be an issue, but higher efficiency in and of itself resulting in less desirable wort or beer, I don't agree with. In fact, I find that efficiency drops off with higher PH where tannin could be a problem and goes up in the presence of lower PH.

a couple here, most are from china, with these though you need your own ac adapter and fittings, if looking for more they need to be
212 Hot Water Pump Food Grade 2, and half inch silicone brewing hose with half inch npd to hose fittings,depending on the connections, there are several types, I actually have everything you need I can build you one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Sol...of-/371979410453?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Solar-H...911916&hash=item4ae071937e:g:KYYAAOSwjMJXDL26

Back